Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [LEAKING] To those who find it acceptable...

Careful, you'll make yourself real unpopular with the self righteous with that kind of common sense

^^^ thats pretty stupid argument not gonna lie

am i the only person here who sees the irony in people complaining about theme piracy when the whole reason they're able to create and use them is as a result of jailbreaking apple's software?
    analogized so dumb ppl get it
    am i the only person here who sees the irony in people complaining about software/music piracy when the whole reason they're able to utilize it is as a result of getting a computer/ipod
    Last edited by PhanaticD; 2010-05-30 at 01:42 AM.

ohes noes.. the last thing i would ever want would be to be unpopular with all the other kids on the interwebs.

;]

but on a serious note, how much money does each theme creator donate to the programmers at apple on a regular basis? i would have to assume it's a flat percentage of what they make?

Quote Originally Posted by PhanaticD View Post
    ^^^ thats pretty stupid argument not gonna lie
    how so? every jailbroken phone is running a modified version of apple's software. did the coders get permission from apple to modify it? are the end users paying for the right to do so?

so it's perfectly fine for you to obtain and use someone else's work, but you gripe when the very same thing is done to you?

your comparison is fail sir...

"am i the only person here who sees the irony in people complaining about software/music piracy when the whole reason they're able to utilize it is as a result of getting a computer/ipod "

did you even read what you wrote? how are you even calling that an even comparison between the two situations?

if you are running a theme, you have jailbroken your iphone/itouch .. therefor you have ALREADY taken advantage of software piracy. that makes you a pirate. i know you'd like to think that word only applies to someone who steals something from YOU, but the sad fact is that you are more than capable of being one yourself. earth shattering, i know..
    Last edited by ubernewb; 2010-05-30 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

u my friend has no idea what your talking about.

jailbreaking your iphone is not piracy nor illegal.
    Its like buying a car and changing the color.

There is no place that says jailbreaking is illegal. so if u dont know what you are talking about, dont say anything at alll.

however stealing is 100 percent illegal so you cant just say its the same.

i didnt steal anything from apple when i jailbroke ...

so jailbreaking a phone requires no modifications whatsoever of the software written by apple?

no the thing u dont get is that jailbreaking doesnt steal anything, u already bought the thing doi it already in ur possession. do u have the themes already? nooooo

so you're saying that when you bought your iphone, it already had the jailbreak software on it? crazy...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 882 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubernewb View Post
    so you're saying that when you bought your iphone, it already had the jailbreak software on it? crazy...
    you're missing the point... you said it yourself ^^ "..when you bought your iphone..." -- we all bought our iPhones. What I do with it after that point is my business because I'm not doing anything illegal. If you pay for my theme and want to go into the files and change some of my images, I'm fine with that - this is akin to jailbreaking. You bought it, now you can modify it. If you don't pay for the theme, you're stealing it - plain and simple.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TCcentex For This Useful Post:

Ronge (2010-05-31)

you're altering someone else's software in order to make the phone do something that it wasn't meant/designed to do.. until you call up apple and get their expressed permission to modify the software they wrote, you're no better morally than the people who take and use your theme without your permission.

not that i really give a crap.. just making a point

Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 882 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubernewb View Post
    you're altering someone else's software in order to make the phone do something that it wasn't meant/designed to do.. until you call up apple and get their expressed permission to modify the software they wrote, you're no better morally than the people who take and use your theme without your permission.

not that i really give a crap.. just making a point
    I'm not altering someone else's software - i didn't purchase just the phone and am leasing the software. The software came with the phone that i paid for, therefore it's MY software. This thread is about STEALING PAID THEMES.

so, for example, microsoft is illegally banning modded consoles from xbox live. after all, i bought the xbox so it's well within my rights as the owner to modify the software of it to my liking?

you can keep back-pedaling all you want.. bottom line, you're no better off than the people you're chastising in this thread.

it's like a person who constantly speeds getting bent out of shape at the person who runs stop signs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

yes u have the right to mod it but microsoft just like apple dont want you to.

so they always make new firmware to patch jailbreak but its not illegal.

and they have every right to do so also

Steve Jobs and his lawyers absolutely 100% view jailbreaking as clear cut copyright infringement, which is illegal, they have yet to get a judge's ruling on it. Now, I personally think Steve Jobs is full of sh!t but it does illustrate the vast gray area surrounding copyright infringement and piracy within the jailbreak community. But really, I think that file/software sharing throughout the internets is a big gray area.

Steve Jobs claims his specific bootloader rights belong to Apple in the same way a musician or theme maker claims the rights to their song or theme belong to them. So, ubernewb has a very strong point, one that can't be written off so casually as Tccentex has. Now, if someone wants to alter or otherwise use copyrighted material they need the author's expressed consent. So, jailbreaking alters Apple's copyrighted bootloader and software.

I purchased the new Deftones album last week on iTunes. I burned a copy to play in my cd player in my car. Today I gave the cd to my friend. I see absolutely nothing morally wrong with my actions and I see little difference in what I did and what torrent sites or xsellize do. People are sharing files. Now, all the self-righteous, narrow-minded people, it's time for your mantra: YOU'RE STEALING! blah blah blah.

I guarantee you that if you had the resources and money to take someone to court for stealing your theme for a Jailbroken device, you would lose. I see both sides, but preach to none. gray is a shade of black.

You know, floppy joe, that hypothetical scenario is extremely pertinent to this discussion. I would be interested to know how many theme creators believe that they could sue a "pirate" for stealing their theme, plead their case in a court of law and win. Especially considering all the second and third party software, images, widgets, etc. they "borrowed" in order to concoct their theme. Not to mention trying to explain to a judge how all of these different pieces of software carry value in the unregulated/black market arena of commerce within the jailbreak community.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kph12's Avatar
    Thanks

Hudson are you still here arguing? Lol
    And Microsoft only bans modded xbox consoles if they are used online because that gives an unfair advantage to that player.

Yeah I'm sure that's the only reason, you must be in their board room. Maybe that called you to let you know that. Cmon really that's the Only reason, your source please?

no, they banned them because microsoft doesn't like people playing games that they didn't make a cut off of.. they could easily run a quick check to look for modified game files (just like they can scan the game to inform you of updates) and let unmolested burned copies play. but they don't, because at the end of the day, they are only concerned with their bottom line.

oh, and that comes from a couple guys that work in their xbox live division. the edge of the microsoft campus is about 6 blocks away from where i work in bellevue, wa.. i build car stereos for them all the time, and they love chatting about geek **** while they hang out in the shop ;]
    Last edited by ubernewb; 2010-05-30 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast