Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [open source] the open source theme

its ok man^^ its gonna be fine....

a good clean overlay for the icon set and build around that can help influence the direction of a theme

here's 2 samples i put together with and without reflection/Glare and the shape i thought was different from most around , Just an idea
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -test_1_noreflection.png   -test_2_reflection.png  
    Last edited by H0CKEY; 2009-09-10 at 05:40 AM.

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,217 Times in 2,596 Posts

Meh, I was just messing around with H0CKEY's graphic.
    #eli7e revived me

4. The Following User Says Thank You to k.nitsua For This Useful Post:

zero-x (2009-09-10)

one person has to take the initiative to start a concept first. then we can all follow. just be aware when you have one person leading there will be conflicting opinions from other developers here. its a good idea....but someone has to start. following will be another story.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

i smell alot of html

Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua View Post

wild!!...definitely a nice touch!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    one person has to take the initiative to start a concept first. then we can all follow. just be aware when you have one person leading there will be conflicting opinions from other developers here. its a good idea....but someone has to start. following will be another story.
    That's why I suggest someone take the initiative to create a theme developer's questionnaire to get a consensus as to what people want in this theme.

Basic questions, like the following:

- Portrait or landscape?
    - Springjumps or no springjumps?
    - Blank icons or no blank icons?
    - Singular or variable icon types?
    - Icon shape?
    - Gloss or no gloss?
    - Labels or no labels?
    - Widgets? What kind?
    - Complimentary, shades, monochromatic, variable color scheme?
    - Special, standard, or no dock?
    - Multi-page or global wallpaper?
    - Bosspaper or no bosspaper?
    - Categories or no categories?
    - Navigation or standard?
    - Favorites page?
    - Lockscreen widget?
    - Tapper or slider?

Just an example... or did I just inadvertently do the job already?

As much as I would LOVE to head this up, I've had my past failures as head of a project (i.e. See arcade game DanceTrax - under old alias "DJ K (DJ Kakarotto)"), and I really do not want to relive those disastrous moments (Wasted 3 years and thousands of dollars on that game).
    #eli7e revived me

honestly i would hecka use those icons! they are freaking awesome dude... good job hockey and nitsua!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    if there are some disagreements, then why not make multiple versions of the theme? it will suit different people differently. so if there are dissagreements i think we should just respect the other persons opinion and work something out u no wat i mean??
    Last edited by Doorstopdima; 2009-09-10 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doorstopdima View Post
    if there are some disagreements, then why not make multiple versions of the theme? it will suit different people differently. so if there are dissagreements i think we should just respect the other persons opinion and work something out u no wat i mean??
    That's how projects lose focus... multiple directions. When that occurs, NOTHING gets done.

Argh, just talking about it feels like deja vu; lol.
    #eli7e revived me

Icons are not important at this point. There is no point in doing another standard theme. No themer will ever agree on the icon set. If that's what this about, then forget it. As I see it, we need a framework that icon designers can use and that users can change as they like by changing a few settings.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

12. The Following User Says Thank You to armadillo For This Useful Post:

Pear-phone (2009-09-10)

That's how projects lose focus... multiple directions. When that occurs, NOTHING gets done.

Argh, just talking about it feels like deja vu; lol.
    yah u are right... (as always...) lol im pretty shur it will work... the project i mean...

Thanks

The fact of the matter is, this is a voluntary project - which means no pay, which means no one is accountable. Not everyone is motivated by the same thing. You throw things here and there, argument here and there, loss of focus here and there... rifts begin... sects begin... then a war begins (i.e. World War II).

My two cents:
    • Keep it small. I say no more than 6 developers for the INITIAL build. Each one will have to contribute something different in some way.
    • One recognized leader. This person will be more of a regulator and liaison between developers and keeps everyone on track and on-time.
    • Time frame. Without a time frame, things do NOT get done, period.
    • Majority rules. This way there is no fuss. Everyone must SUCCUMB to this rule and not ***** about it.
    • Communication. If something is not going to get done on time, let the group know... don't leave us in the dark. And don't disappear either.
    • Time frame. Want to repeat this because it is so damn important.
    • Keep public opinions out. For the initial build at least. This way focus is NOT lost.
    • Time frame. Did I mention this was important?
    #eli7e revived me

I don't want to get too involved into this, but it seems interesting.

I think there are going to be huge discrepancies over the icon style, etc.

Since some of you guys have a history of making themes with 20 minute setups, please try to make it nice and easy on the general public.

Thanks

This should be the to-do list before ANYTHING is done regarding this "Open Source" project:

1. Official list of developers
    2. Questionnaire for developers (I believe I stresssed this enough)
    3. The agreed-upon mode of communication (public forum is a BAD idea, trust me)
    4. Designated time-frame (BEFORE DEVELOPMENT EVEN BEGINS)

If all of the above are NOT done, everything is speculatory and pointless.

Once the list of official developers is complete - those on the list should nominate someone else or themselves as leader.

I know there are several of you that want to be a part of this, I implore to consider the following:

• Are you really willing to dedicate extensive time to this project?
    • Are you experienced enough in theming that you feel comfortable to be a part of this project?
    • Do you consider yourself a team player, a push-over, or an aggressive ***?
    • Do you have something substantial to contribute to the group?
    • Are you skilled in graphic designing?
    • Can you take constructive criticism?

Answer those questions carefully. Those who feel they answered the questions well in the manner in which benefits the project, I say put your hat in the ring.

I feel a group of 6 would be perfect... 8 would be pushing it. But no more than 8 - so unless you feel you are right for the job, don't volunteer so that someone who would be more of an essential contributor can volunteer.

I'm officially putting my hat in the ring AS PART OF THE PROJECT... NOT THE LEADER!
    Last edited by k.nitsua; 2009-09-10 at 07:43 AM.
    #eli7e revived me

Omg!! I soo agree to this^^^^ bothe posts by you nitsua! U or pear should be the leader of this all..

hmm someone seems to be already leading
    But we actually need to know who Will be part of this

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zero-x View Post
    hmm someone seems to be already leading
    But we actually need to know who Will be part of this
    Oh no no no no no... don't get me wrong. I do NOT want to lead this. If you read my post, you will know that. I've had BAD experiences as leader of community projects - I like my life the way it is. I like sleeping well at night... I don't want to be the leader.

I'm simply pushing the project in the right direction... like I said above, once the official list of the developers is agreed upon, then the group will decide the leader from those who nominate themselves (which I will not nominate myself).

Again, I - in no way, shape, or form - want to be the official leader of this group. No no no no no.

NO... no no no no no no.

No NO no no no NO no no.

Let me make sure this gets across - I DO NOT WANT TO BE THE OFFICIAL LEADER OF THIS PROJECT!

Clear? =P
    Last edited by k.nitsua; 2009-09-10 at 07:46 AM.
    #eli7e revived me

I didn't mean it that way
    =P I should review my posts next time
    I mean it's great that ur sorta organizing this

damn. you guys take this theming stuff seriously....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Li-ion View Post
    damn. you guys take this theming stuff seriously....
    It wasn't a "theme" project that I worked on before... it was an arcade game called "DanceTrax" that was commissioned by Majesco & Amusement World Inc. and developed my own company PulseNetwork, LLC. It was a bad experience for me, but then again I was only 18.
    Last edited by k.nitsua; 2009-09-10 at 08:17 AM.
    #eli7e revived me

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast