Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [RELEASE] Gruppled Icons

Default [RELEASE] Gruppled Icons
    There is another thread for this theme at MacThemes2.net.

This theme started as an extension to the Mystique theme. The original author requested that i give it my own name, so i did.

I started a requests page that quickly filled up and squashed my motivation, so i created a set of GIMP scripts to automate and standardize the process of creating icons for this theme. This theme has over 650 icons, and with these scripts i expect that number to rise very quickly.

Gruppled:

Gruppled Dark:

Download: [ via Mediafire ] (.zip)

How to make your own icons:

- Install The GIMP, a powerful, free, multi-platform image editor
    - Download gruppled.scm and place it in your GIMP scripts folder
    -- To find your scripts folder, open GIMP preferences, go to the "Folders" section at the bottom, and select "Scripts"
    - You now have access to 6 scripts:
    -- Grupple!
    -- Dim Icon
    -- Dark Icon
    -- grupple-batch
    -- gruppled-dim-batch
    -- gruppled-dark-batch

The first three are for creating one icon at a time, inside GIMP under the Script-Fu menu. The last three are for creating many icons at once.

NOTE: "Grupple!" and "grupple-batch" are meant to be used on images that have been cropped and are ready for conversion, but "Dim Icon" and "Dark Icon" and their related batch scripts are meant to be used on Gruppled (normal) Icons.

Single Scripts:
    To execute the "Grupple!" script, just open the image in the GIMP, crop it if necessary (the script will resize it, but you should crop away any borders), remove the background if possible (the "Color to Alpha" tool is usually handy for this), and select Script-Fu>Gruppled Icons>Grupple!

NOTE: If the image you want to convert to an icon does not have an alpha channel, the scripts will be disabled in the menu. To fix this, just select Layer>Transparency>Add Alpha Channel.

Batch Scripts:
    These are useful if you have many icons you want to create at once. To execute the "grupple-batch" script, for example, run the following command in a shell after entering the directory containing all the cropped and ready .png files:
    Code:
    gimp -i -b '(grupple-batch)' -b '(gimp-quit 0)'
    Guidelines:
    - If an image doesn't make a good icon (e.g. too much tiny detail to tell what it is) find a simple iconic representation of the app from another source, or make one yourself
    - Try to remove the background if possible
    - If the icon has a definite foreground, try to leave some space around the edges (at least 5px seems good)
    - Icons with a glossy highlight over the whole thing do not look good when converted
    - If you post an icon, please post the normal, dim, and dark versions.

Finding/Preparing Images:
    Usually, the app's iTunesArtwork file is the best image to use for the icon. The easiest way to find it is install AppLinks via Cydia. Run it, then go to /User/Your App.app/ and the iTunesArtwork file should be there. It is a jpeg so open it in GIMP, and if it complains that it doesn't know how to read it, just copy it to your desktop and add ".jpg" to the filename.

Then use Color>Color to Alpha to remove the background if it's a solid color that's not in the foreground. If that doesn't work well, try using the Fuzzy Select Tool (the "Magic Wand") and playing with the threshold to get a good selection, adding an alpha channel if necessary, and deleting the background. The Selection Editor window is handy for this. You can find it in the Windows>Dockable Dialogs menu.

If there is a thick border around the edge and it doesn't look good when you convert it to an icon, just crop it out and don't worry about the corners since they will be rounded off by the script.

Whenever you crop, make sure you end up with a square, or the image will be stretched when you run the script.
    Last edited by gruppler; 2011-04-26 at 05:30 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gruppler For This Useful Post:

mrgaryth (2009-07-27), shihchiun (2009-07-31)

WOW!
    This is great thanks!!

I'm getting an error downloading the zip files. Any chance you could re-upload them? Thanks.

I reuploaded them.

when i go to save as png, which of these options should be selected? (these are just the defaults)

i just want to make sure i do it correctly the first time. thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -gimp-save.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by scottuf View Post
    when i go to save as png, which of these options should be selected? (these are just the defaults)

i just want to make sure i do it correctly the first time. thanks.
    I'm sure it doesn't really matter, but i always uncheck everything except "Save resolution".

ok, i've been working on creating some icons, and have about 10 so far, which i'll post when i get a little further along. however i am having a small problem that i hope you can help me with. some icons have transparency in them, so that when i make the background transparent, the final gruppled icon is too light. attached are two samples of what i am talking about, the originals and the gruppled. basically, on both of these i took the background color - white - ffffff - and used color to alpha to remove it. then, i ran gruppled script. the problem is that the remaining color had alpha which i don't know how to get rid of.

i know this isn't a gimp lessons thread, but any info will help me help you to create more icons
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -cheap-gas-.jpg   -radiolicious.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Yeah, the color-to-alpha tool will remove all traces of the color you pick from the entire image, so it's usually only useful when the background is a completely different color from the rest of the image. For the first image, i would use the pen tool to outline the foreground object, excluding the shadow. For the second one, it would probably be easiest to use the wand tool and try to select the headphones by playing with the threshold and using the selection editor to see that you have a good selection, and just use the circle select tool to select the smiley face.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gruppler For This Useful Post:

scottuf (2009-08-04)

Quote Originally Posted by gruppler View Post
    Yeah, the color-to-alpha tool will remove all traces of the color you pick from the entire image, so it's usually only useful when the background is a completely different color from the rest of the image. For the first image, i would use the pen tool to outline the foreground object, excluding the shadow. For the second one, it would probably be easiest to use the wand tool and try to select the headphones by playing with the threshold and using the selection editor to see that you have a good selection, and just use the circle select tool to select the smiley face.
    thanks - i think i've got it. i'm definitely not an expert, but here they are. let me know if they somewhat meet your standards.

Great job! My only suggestion is to leave some empty space around the edges, like maybe 5px. You can look at existing icons to get an idea of what i mean. The easiest way to do this is make the canvas size bigger and hit the Center button. Then when you run the script there will be more space around the edges.
    Last edited by gruppler; 2009-08-04 at 04:42 AM.

awesome advice. i think these will be final quality (at least for my purposes). now i get to go back and redo some of my others with my new found knowledge.
    Last edited by scottuf; 2009-08-04 at 05:09 AM.

Yup, those look good! I would leave a little more empty space around the edges for the first one, but the way it is now is just fine. Keep it up =]

Default Hi-res Icons for retina display
    Hey!

I'm wondering if you could help me edit your script to grupple icons for the retina display. I opened your script in Notepad++ and I tried to change the 60x60 hardcoded values to 114x114 which is the standard icon size but after I grupple it still looks like a small icon.

All the themes out there right now suck and are not free. This is the only theme out there that's actually cool.
    So I'd be really happy if I can grupple the Iphone 4 icons.

Thanks!

Thanks
    I know this thread is really old, but i just loaded this theme and love the icons! I can't download the script though. when i click on the link it just takes me to the page to download the themes. any chance you can repost it? I have a bunch of icons that i'd like to make.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jme5674 View Post
    I know this thread is really old, but i just loaded this theme and love the icons! I can't download the script though. when i click on the link it just takes me to the page to download the themes. any chance you can repost it? I have a bunch of icons that i'd like to make.

thanks!
    I just re-uploaded the script. I'm not sure what happened to it in the first place, but it's there now. Here's the link again: gruppled.scm

Quote Originally Posted by deuscovrigus View Post
    Hey!

I'm wondering if you could help me edit your script to grupple icons for the retina display. I opened your script in Notepad++ and I tried to change the 60x60 hardcoded values to 114x114 which is the standard icon size but after I grupple it still looks like a small icon.

All the themes out there right now suck and are not free. This is the only theme out there that's actually cool.
    So I'd be really happy if I can grupple the Iphone 4 icons.

Thanks!
    I'd like to help you, but unfortunately I don't have a lot of time right now. I don't think it would be much work to modify the script, but it would definitely take a bit of testing. Hopefully I'll find some time to mess with this again and get it working. However, I won't be able to make an iPhone 4 version of the icon package, just the script.
    Last edited by gruppler; 2011-04-26 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    thank you!