Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [METHOD] K.Nitsua's Automatic Theme Set-Up (KATS)

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,217 Times in 2,596 Posts

Default [METHOD] K.Nitsua's Automatic Theme Set-Up (KATS)

Just finished the automatic set-up system. Let me describe the conditions I had my iPhone in before I started.
    What I already had:
    - Already had "SpringBack" downloaded
    - Already had "Winterboard" downloaded (duh!)
    - I installed all the apps I have on my laptop (when I made the SpringBack backup, I had all my non-stock apps UNINSTALLED except Winterboard, SpringBack, and SpringJumps to ensure that this setup would work regardless of what apps I have and don't have)
    - Also had Five Column Springboard installed, but that is something that is theme-specific. The theme I'm using is my own (iNitsua 3.0 Premium) and requires Five Column Springboard
    - Already had "SpringJumps" downloaded - also theme specific, as the select theme requires SpringJumps

What I DID NOT have:
    - iBlanks app as it is needed so I uninstalled it
    - Blank icons; I have absolutely NONE
    - SpringJump shortcuts; I have the app installed, but I don't have any springjumps showing.

The setup method I did is what I'm calling the "SSH-requiring KATS". This method is pretty self-explanatory, it requires the user to SSH the necessary files into the iDevice. The other method would be the "Repo-installing KATS" which is also self-explanatory. The latter is also the fatest way to set up the theme, so the method I'm testing with right now is technically the SLOWER more MANUAL method.

I started the clock when I SSH'ed into my iPhone.
    1. SSH'ed the appropriate files to their appropriate directory (webclips, applications/springjumps, SPBK file, and the theme itself)
    2. Resprang my iPhone
    3. Opened SpringBack app
    4. Restored SpringBack backup file that I added in Step 1
    5. Waited for my iPhone to again respring
    6. Opened Winterboard app
    7. Activated iNitsua 3.0 Premium theme

Official clock-in time (including "resprings"):

3 Minutes and 37 Seconds

Let me emphasize something... THIS INCLUDES SSH-ing, RESPRINGS, and was my most difficult theme (thus far) to install... iNITSUA 3.0 PREMIUM!!!! In the past, this theme has been known to take well more than an hour to install manually.

Now, what this time DOESN'T include:
    - Installing the appropriate apps
    - Selecting favorite apps and games (placeholders are installed, and can be deleted and replaced with the user's desired app/game)

I will be packaging this method for theme developers. You might say "all you need is the spbk file and use SpringJump", but that is NOT the case. What I am packaging are pre-made blank icons (since iBlank randomizes the webclip label), pre-made SpringJumps shortcuts (in case the developer wants to use multiple SpringJumps), and app placeholders (in case the develop requires the placement of apps to create the theme's structure). I am also including VERY detailed instructions (if you seriously need help understanding the directions I have provided, you probably shouldn't be theming in the first place).

The package will also include the end-user directions for installing the developer's KATS.

... It's a beautiful morning!!!!

Screenshots:

After Step 1:

Page 0

After Step 5:

Page 3

Page 6

Results after Set-Up:

Page 3

Page 6

Now to answer the likely most asked question... When will this method be released?

To be honest, I'm still up in the air about releasing this before I am able to release it myself for my own themes. I'll most likely release it within the next 2 days as it is practically done... that is, IF I release it before I release it for my own theme.

Also, I need some beta testers. Any takers? I've already tried this on two different iPhones (I can't test it on an iPod Touch yet because I don't have one myself and cannot make an accurate spbk file). The test on the iPhones worked flawlessly, but I did the KATS myself. I'll need to see how well my directions work for others when creating and installing this. Again, any takers? Serious ones, please.
    Last edited by k.nitsua; 2009-08-06 at 10:23 PM.
    #eli7e revived me

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to k.nitsua For This Useful Post:

eonC4PDA (2009-07-24), Gambit_Rah (2009-07-24), metaserph (2009-07-23), soulthoughts (2009-07-24)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Wowie Zowie. This sounds incredible. What a leap this could make to themeing. I myself know that installing a iNav type or complicated themes can be time consuming, frustrating and as well just a huge pain in the butt. I am very impressed to say the least. Tell me more, tell me more.
    What about the de-installation, is it as easy? Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve.

Thanks

Uninstallation is easy, just delete the files you SSH'd into the iDevice or uninstall the package if you downloaded it through Cydia.

Update:

I just cut the time by 1/3 by bypassing SpringBack and just installing the springboard plist directly to the preference folder. Potentially, you don't even NEED SpringBack; HOWEVER, I would suggest keeping it in case of Springboard crashes.

So now the new official time is probably around:

2 minutes 55 seconds

as the SpringBack restore took quite a while for me.

This means for the "Repo-installing KATS" method, you can potentially install the package, respring, and viola - the theme is completely ready for you.
    #eli7e revived me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 344 Posts

I'll beta test it for you mate, and wont release it until you say its ok. Great job by the way. This just might save me writing an essay for how to install iCONCEPT. If you wanna send it to me, I pm'd you my email addy
    Twitter: @reecouk

i myself will beta test on my 3G S if u need
    being new to the theme developer community this will help by not having to write out lengthy instructions or making instructional videos
    those are painstaking..
    but i agree you shouldnt release it until ur own theme is released..
    or you could share the idea with pear-phone for his theme as well

i think its going to work... i was trying this with my theme. i made it to work but my theme is not so complex as inav and themes like that...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey Nitsua, I'll help out with beta testing,
    I have an iPhone 3GS so I can help confirm that it works
    on the newer model of iPhone too.
    It seems simple enough to follow what you said in the post,
    so I won't be needing any long detailed instructions.
    Just the esssential files, and I'm good.
    If you would like me to help out, just PM me.

P.S; I also have an iPod touch, so I could see if
    I could cook up a springback file for the iPod users in the community.

Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua View Post
    Uninstallation is easy, just delete the files you SSH'd into the iDevice or uninstall the package if you downloaded it through Cydia.

Update:

I just cut the time by 1/3 by bypassing SpringBack and just installing the springboard plist directly to the preference folder. Potentially, you don't even NEED SpringBack; HOWEVER, I would suggest keeping it in case of Springboard crashes.

So now the new official time is probably around:

2 minutes 55 seconds

as the SpringBack restore took quite a while for me.

This means for the "Repo-installing KATS" method, you can potentially install the package, respring, and viola - the theme is completely ready for you.
    That is real great find you have found. This will downsize the installation time of many themes.

But I would suggest NOT to replace the springboard plist in the preferences folder. Because those plists are user specific and could cause you a lot of support questions. Better choose the safer way and longer install time.

Thanks

I'm packaging KATS right now. Beta testers expect something today.

I'm also going to be repo-ing the first test of this method. I'll let you guys know when its up.

Betas sent, check your PMs.
    Last edited by k.nitsua; 2009-07-23 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    #eli7e revived me

will this work on the portrait version of the theme?

when releasing this can you add a video tutorial of all the steps?
    thanks in advance and really nice work

Great job as always k.nitsua
    this will really help set up complicated themes

I'll beta test it for you too k.nitsua ... i have a 3GS and a 2G iPhone on 3.0.

Good work mate!!

Thanks

Beta feedback concludes this method worked flawlessly. I'm waiting on ONE particular beta tester to send me feedback (::cough:: reeco ::cough cough:.

A learned a few new things from the feedback and will mention them soon. As for now, I'm going to bed.

Last thing, I need 3 more beta testers, an iPod touch user, an iPod touch 2G user, and a theme developer who is developing a theme with an iPod touch 2G.

Good night people.

If we beta test that does mean we have to unistall the theme and reinstall it? im lazy =P

and how come i dont have a house icon for page 0

you still need ipod touch 1g beta tester? if so, i can do it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 344 Posts

Works Perfectly On iPhone 2G. Check Your Mail
    Twitter: @reecouk

worked on my ipod 1st gen as well
    as well as my 3G S

pm'd u

Ruh roh... you're taking away my excuse for not using any of the themes that require hours of setup...

*sigh*

(THANKS FOR THE AWESOME WORK!)
    Last edited by dmbsituation; 2009-07-24 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have always been interested in the iNav theme and the likes but was very turned off by how I had to install it.. What if I decided I didnt like the theme? i would have to take another hour to put everything back how it was. I loved the themes but everything else was so unappealing to me i said screw it, im fine with my regular themes. I am very interested in this as it looks like it will take care of my problem! thanks, looking forward to this release!

I would also be willing to help beta test it, I have the 3g, so if you'd like me to help out, send me a pm.... In the meantime, keep up the great work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast