Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: [RELEASE] A New Metaphor 1.0

  1. #1
    Post [RELEASE] A New Metaphor 1.0
    I'd like to first thank everyone here and those who worked on QuickPWN. I've just started getting into this iPhone theming, but I've been working with MacOS resource modding for years, and your forums and incredible achievements and themes were inspirational. Thank you for your time and freely given talent. Its always heartening to see people come together and accomplish great things out of love of their art!
    I built this theme based on my OSX.5 theme, which I've been working on for some time. OSX.5 theming is not exactly a quick process, but it is crawling along, in spite of many times doubting I should bother until X.6. I'm glad to see so many people are even interested in the iPhone port. It wasn't that I didn't put a lot of effort into it, but I did it to my taste and figured only another handful of people would even give it a look.
    "A New Metaphor" got it's name from the idea of changing the basic metaphor we use to interface with our filetrees. I never much liked the concept of "folders" and "windows" (when I first graduated from DOS) and want to start moving toward something different. At least that's what I'm striving to achieve.


    -AngryLemming
    Last edited by AngryLemming; 2009-04-19 at 01:10 PM. Reason: removed all outside link info -Thanks for the heads-up, CPJR! added screenshot

  2. #2
    Love the theme, but the phone dialer is horrific! Aside from that, good job!!!

  3. #3
    Default Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Runt View Post
    Love the theme, but the phone dialer is horrific! Aside from that, good job!!!
    Would this (see attached) work better? The dialer keypad with v1.0 does seem a little over-stylized. Let me know what you think of the new one.


    -AngryLemming
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0010.png  

  4. #4
    If you'd like to post pics and a download link to the theme that would be great...but we dont allow outside links. Thanks.

  5. #5
    That one is much better, AngryLemming. Thanks for posting it.

  6. #6
    wow, this was just released yesterday...
    dude very very good job with this theme. it's very thorough.
    any update on the new keypad? that's also the only thing i thought needed some work. that new image you have above would work perfectly!

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to joydestroy For This Useful Post:

    AngryLemming (2009-04-20)

  8. #7
    Talking Update
    I've submitted an upgrade, which includes the new dialer keypad above, some new icons, and the iPod will now be themed. It may be a little bit before the upgrade is public, but it's been submitted and should be available soon. I wanted to work out the kinks by the time it reached 10K downloads and just made it at 9940! I hope you like the update to v2!

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryLemming View Post
    I've submitted an upgrade, which includes the new dialer keypad above, some new icons, and the iPod will now be themed. It may be a little bit before the upgrade is public, but it's been submitted and should be available soon. I wanted to work out the kinks by the time it reached 10K downloads and just made it at 9940! I hope you like the update to v2!
    awesome!!! i can't wait to get the new version!
    are there any others you've personally made?

    i'm new to the whole jailbreak thing. just did it yesterday and now i see why some people say it's time consuming and addicting haha. it's a much better phone this way.

    oh, i wish you could rate stuff on Cydia etc.
    Last edited by joydestroy; 2009-04-20 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to joydestroy For This Useful Post:

    AngryLemming (2009-04-20)

  11. #9
    Need some icons for:

    Tools
    Apps
    Games
    **********
    MemTool

    Thanks!!

    Also, on the keypad:

    #2 and #5 have the alpha characters under the number and #8 has 'em on top. Was this done on purpose?
    Last edited by Runt; 2009-04-20 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Runt For This Useful Post:

    AngryLemming (2009-04-20)

  13. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Runt View Post
    Need some icons for:

    Tools
    Apps
    Games
    **********
    MemTool

    Thanks!!

    Also, on the keypad:

    #2 and #5 have the alpha characters under the number and #8 has 'em on top. Was this done on purpose?
    i would think the + would be below the 0 as well, right?
    i'm sure that was a rough draft anyways.

  14. #11
    The dialer alphabeticals are placed around the idea the nexus in the background has a certain degree of gravity, thus the "from center" locations. I do owe Runt for convincing me to change the dialer, but I'm not too convinced that the new one is all that great -giventhe "gravity" effect didn't come out clearly. Overall, the functional bits of the theme (like the dialer) gave me some trouble, obviously, and I'm open to suggestions as to ways to integrate them better.

    JOYDESTROY- I haven't done any other themes as yet. My wife suggested a theme based on the beautiful minimalist Japanese paintings of the Edo period, but I'm not sure how I would do the icons. And you can rate things on MMi by voting, just look up your apps and themes under the "Cydia Apps" tab and give them stars.

    RUNT- I'm assuming you need the icons for something like Categories? My brother-in-law uses Categories and I opted not to include it, due to having crashed my iPhone playing around with it. I'll post some pngs you can SSH into your device as icons here, once I get through a paper for my Masters' course. I'll port the folders from the DT theme, like the ones for Photos. and Movies. Sound good? There are some Game company icons (Atari, Nintendo and Sega) tucked away in the icons folder too, in case you need them.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to AngryLemming For This Useful Post:

    Runt (2009-04-20)

  16. #12
    Lightbulb Uh, yeah so that paper still isn't getting done...
    Here are icons for Tools (the DT Utilities folder,) Apps, Games, Playstation (which I found out has an emulator available,) and MemTool. I'll include these in a future version (they're not in 2.0.)
    Attached Images Attached Images      

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to AngryLemming For This Useful Post:

    Runt (2009-04-20)

  18. #13
    Yes, I use Categories just to keep the page count down. I find the more pages I have, the higher the RAM usage is. Problem is though, Categories has a leak also so it's six one way half a dozen the other. I just choose to have a clean look as opposed to scrolling through several pages. Also, when friend and colleagues ask to see a particular theme on my phone, it's pleasing to the eyes to show a "Home" page as opposed to several pages if you know what I mean.

    The PNG's is great. I can SSH those into the theme with no problem.

    I'm still testing several things with this theme, but I just got back home from a 4 hour trip and trying to spend time with the wife too so tomorrow will be a better day to test certain things.

    One suggestion that I would LOVE to see is: On some of your "loading" screens, you have the "O" symbol spinning while the application is loading and a static script wallpaper in the background. It would be awesome if you could get rid of the "O" and actually have the script scroll while the app is loading.
    I understand that would be a pain in the butt, but I believe that would give this theme more of a "personal" touch.


    Excellent work on this so far!!! I'm thoroughly enjoying it!

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Runt For This Useful Post:

    AngryLemming (2009-04-20)

  20. #14
    Haven't figured out how to do that ...yet
    But I was thinking of having both, placing the rotating rings to the right of the scrolling text. Do you know if the Progress wheel will accept a larger png? I've bricked my second partition playing around with CoreUI elements for the Leopard version of this theme and I don't much like restoring my iPhone as I have yet to find a good backup option.
    I actually only maintain three pages: Home (which has mostly GMail, Weather, Cal, and Clock,) 2nd (Utilities, Camera, and Repos,) 3rd (Web, Sites, and Tetris.) None of which have four full rows of icons. I added a bunch of stuff b/f taking the screenshots, just to show some more icons. I'm mostly utilitarian when it comes to usage.
    Last edited by AngryLemming; 2009-04-20 at 02:46 AM.

  21. #15
    The problem with a rotating script is the size of the PNG. This would cause the phone to lock up while trying to load data and load that size of a file to "scroll".
    I'm not saying it's impossible, but the phone really doesn't have enough usable RAM to allow this to happen without lockups.
    I've tried something very similar to this in the past and my phone would reboot in the process due to not being able to handle the "load".

    If the file could be compressed significantly, it would be able to handle the process, but until then, it's not really an option.

  22. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Runt View Post
    The problem with a rotating script is the size of the PNG. This would cause the phone to lock up while trying to load data and load that size of a file to "scroll".
    I'm not saying it's impossible, but the phone really doesn't have enough usable RAM to allow this to happen without lockups.
    I've tried something very similar to this in the past and my phone would reboot in the process due to not being able to handle the "load".

    If the file could be compressed significantly, it would be able to handle the process, but until then, it's not really an option.
    hopefully with the next iPhone they will up the RAM since Apple is targeting the gaming industry with the device now.

    great idea though.

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryLemming View Post
    The dialer alphabeticals are placed around the idea the nexus in the background has a certain degree of gravity, thus the "from center" locations. I do owe Runt for convincing me to change the dialer, but I'm not too convinced that the new one is all that great -giventhe "gravity" effect didn't come out clearly. Overall, the functional bits of the theme (like the dialer) gave me some trouble, obviously, and I'm open to suggestions as to ways to integrate them better.

    JOYDESTROY- I haven't done any other themes as yet. My wife suggested a theme based on the beautiful minimalist Japanese paintings of the Edo period, but I'm not sure how I would do the icons. And you can rate things on MMi by voting, just look up your apps and themes under the "Cydia Apps" tab and give them stars.

    RUNT- I'm assuming you need the icons for something like Categories? My brother-in-law uses Categories and I opted not to include it, due to having crashed my iPhone playing around with it. I'll post some pngs you can SSH into your device as icons here, once I get through a paper for my Masters' course. I'll port the folders from the DT theme, like the ones for Photos. and Movies. Sound good? There are some Game company icons (Atari, Nintendo and Sega) tucked away in the icons folder too, in case you need them.
    a Japanese theme would be wicked! i'll be looking for stuff by you in the future.

    that's cool that you can rate on here. i'm hoping the app will get upgraded though so it's more like the app store in iTunes so you can just rate straight from your phone. i left a comment too though!

    oh and i've got the new version. sweeeeeet!
    and i understand what you were saying now about the alpha characters being like that on the numbers. makes sense. i like i like.
    Last edited by joydestroy; 2009-04-20 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joydestroy For This Useful Post:

    AngryLemming (2009-04-20), Torosyan (2009-06-27)

  24. #17
    Glad you like it guys
    I must admit, I forgot about the Stocks app. I thought I had turned all the built-in apps back on (using BossPrefs hide icons option) when I was checking the theme. Very much my bad, I'll put up an icon here, as soon as I get some more free time. My apologies, JoyDestroy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Runt View Post
    The problem with a rotating script is the size of the PNG. This would cause the phone to lock up while trying to load data and load that size of a file to "scroll".
    I'm not saying it's impossible, but the phone really doesn't have enough usable RAM to allow this to happen without lockups.
    I've tried something very similar to this in the past and my phone would reboot in the process due to not being able to handle the "load".

    If the file could be compressed significantly, it would be able to handle the process, but until then, it's not really an option.
    That's kind of what I expected. I'll keep it in mind and try to work out a way to do it (maybe using HTML?) Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by AngryLemming; 2009-04-20 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to AngryLemming For This Useful Post:

    Torosyan (2009-06-27)

  26. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryLemming View Post
    Glad you like it guys
    I must admit, I forgot about the Stocks app. I thought I had turned all the built-in apps back on (using BossPrefs hide icons option) when I was checking the theme. Very much my bad, I'll put up an icon here, as soon as I get some more free time. My apologies, JoyDestroy.
    no apologies necessary! i ssh'ed the new icons, then re-sprung the springboard and it was updated. so iunno what happened but it's there haha. thanks bro!

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to joydestroy For This Useful Post:

    Torosyan (2009-06-27)

  28. #19
    Playing with some icons.

    Cannon
    Checkbook
    Zombieville
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Runt For This Useful Post:

    Torosyan (2009-06-27)

  30. #20
    I love your Checkbook and Zombieville icons, Cannon could use some work, I think. But, you do seem to be getting the hang of it. Try adding the original image, inverted, to the alpha of the App layer - then colorize using the primary value of the App layer. (Just a hint.)
    Last edited by AngryLemming; 2009-04-20 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typo

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to AngryLemming For This Useful Post:

    Torosyan (2009-06-27)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •