Page 23 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Aqwoah

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    Would swapping 12C and 16C be better? I wanted to color code so if people have multiple versions they can distinguish. I must say that I like MACalc better, since it lets you have all functions in one package and I prefer upright over landscape...
    For us old time HP users, probably... the 12c classic was always gold and the other silver.

While the landscape can be a little irritating, the responsiveness of these are just amazing, and you don't need the 11C if you have the 15C. I installed the other two just for fun (I actually use a 15C on my desk most of the time, and the 16C sits in the drawer - I do my hex on my 50g), though sometimes the 12C financial functions are handy.

If they could add vibrate/beep on key press, they would be finished.

A quick heads-up on the alohasoft sources. As you know, I had to pull them. This was based on three main reasons:

1. my .Mac bandwidth is limited and I have other stuff I'm serving to the Mac community (see http://web.mac.com/reinholdpenner)

2. I could purchase more bandwidth from .Mac, but the request for donations was a big disppointment (I have received a total of 3 donations, but dozens of requests to fix the sources).

3. I have received several very rude emails from people whose phone I supposedly bricked...

Thankfully, there nicer folks out there and I have now received two offers for hosting my files (interestingly, they're both from Europe...). I am looking into this, but .Mac is really very appealing to me since I have my workflow set up so that all my themes can now be updated by simple scripts, but the scripts are all written for a WebDav-mounted volume on my Mac, which then auto-syncs with .Mac. So my preference would be to stay with .Mac and simply buy more bandwidth. So I will it another try and ask for some small donation. There is reward for those who do:

http://web.mac.com/reinholdpenner/alohasoft/thanks.html

and there is more to come in the exclusive section. I have some cool ideas I'm tossing around. Anyway, I will see what this plea accomplishes. If it fails, I may try and use the offshore options I was offered for hosting, but it will be tedious and more limited.

Updated HP icons for the purists

Simplify

Last edited by armadillo; 2007-12-05 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Big thanks to you for your contributions to the iphone community. Your theme is my absolute favorite and although I try others, it only takes a few minutes for me to decide to switch back. I did contribute via your Paypal acct and I'm also enjoying the bonus skins you've offered. I too am disappointed that you haven't been supported better by the community of folks who have downloaded and use your stuff. High quality for sure.
    Come on guys -- surely a few bucks can be scraped up to keep aqwoah sources available! We all know how much time it takes to do this stuff.

Thanks

Armadillo, I really think it's sad to use the "dozens of requests" on a public forum warrant your "plea" for donations to give yourself more .Mac bandwidth for free. Yes, you provide great services to the community at no charge, and yes it costs time and money to make all that happen. But if you have a decent job, there should be no problem paying for the small things yourself, right?

I just don't like the fact that you come on here and take the few random anonymous idiots on here that complain and want everything for free warrant your pleas to get the every day people, like myself, to send you money, that I earned.

You know what I mean?
    13" MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB DDR2 PC-5300 RAM, 500GB external HD
    4GB iPhone, 1.1.2, unlocked on USA T-Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by oxeneers View Post
    ..... Yes, you provide great services to the community at no charge, and yes it costs time and money to make all that happen. But if you have a decent job, there should be no problem paying for the small things yourself, right?
    It works for you too oxeneers. If you have a decent job there should be no problem paying for the small things you enjoy! Why should the burden be on Reinhold? He's spending the time to improve our iphone experience. You can't chip in a few bucks to make that happen?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,253 Posts

Hmm guess everyone is entitled to opinion so mine is armadillo has given alot to everyone of us that have an iphone and love his continuous updates (which is a ton more than I can say to the countless faceless ppl that release a theme and then dissapear never to backing it up and updating it when need be!)

/me tossed a few pennies to you armadillo I wish I had more but every lil bit will add up.

"Thank you" for your themes I love them!

I've contributed now as well, and feel bad that I didn't do so earlier. Armadillo is one of the most helpful & responsive folks in the community. The iPhone is unique right now in that most everything is available (legally!) for free. But in my mind, that doesn't mean we should have a sense of entitlement. The developers who do this work deserve our support as well as thanks.

Look guys. I'm trying my best to get you the sources for free. I am already using my .Mac account essentially to distribute freeware and free graphics. So I am paying for it without using privately, except for the syncing aspect. I am in fact taking a lot of abuse already (you guys have no ideas what kind of emails I get when Installer craps out in the middle of copying the backup files and leaves the phone in a mess). I understand that people are frustrated. But to spend extra money and time to give you all this sometimes does not seem worth it.

I used to upload my stuff here and people had to manually install. The repository is an extra service so that I can get you guys updates more often. I can and will try my best to get you guys the convenience of installer back, but posts like that of oxeneers are disappointing.

I know it ain't much, but I just donated $5.
    After all, this is the ONLY complete theme in existence.. =D

Thanks
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,253 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dash-2 View Post
    I know it ain't much, but I just donated $5.
    After all, this is the ONLY complete theme in existence.. =D
    If everyone donated a dollar that grabbed his theme he'd have more than enough (but that won't happen) anyways, you are right Dash his theme is the only "compete theme" like I said up above most ppl drop a theme and dissapear which is fine but on the iphone w/ them building an app or 20 a day we need new icons constantly! hehe

At any rate I bet you any amount of money that guy complaining has never skinned the iphone keyboard. =)
    bet my life on that (almost)

And I have updated the icons in this thread. So anyone can extract the icons and still have a complete theme. It's just more tedious. As I said, the Installer option is one of convenience, but it requires bandwidth. Frankly, had I known how many people used the source, I probably would not have started the repository. Now I feel like I let them down. But I will make the source available again, even if I can't host it myself. So oxeneer, there's no need for you to chip in. You will get it back for free and keep your hard-earned money.

wow, it's comments like oxeneers that make you really want to keep on giving our hard work out for FREE, I repeat FREE... Why do we even bother, lol. The time will come where you'll have to start paying for applications and cool themes such as armadillo's so enjoy it while it lasts....

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

I just made a donation. I am only posting this in order to encourage others to continue to follow suit. Thanks, Reinhold, for your generous and beautiful work.

I am having problems with the battery. After I transfer the folder is shows ALL the battery icons under Customize. So I figure it's because the last battery (100%) is named BatteryBG-17.png so I changed it to BatteryBG.png and I finally get one single battery in Customize with a blank battery image on top. But when the battery is fully changed it only goes up to the 94% icon and doesn't show the 100% one?

Respectfully requesting: Simplify Media icon.

Thanks.

Thanks

Sorry my post was "disappointing". I wouldn't like it if somebody called me out on begging for money on a forum. It's just not right. If you do want donations, that's not the way to go about doing that. I'm just not cool with people sending out "pleas" for real-life money, on a forum about skinning and icons for the iPhone.

I would donate to you Armadillo, but I cannot constitute giving you my hard-earned money because posts like your original "plea for help" are borderline disturbing.

You've created a great theme, but you need to get over the holier-than-thou presence you've created on this thread/forum. And bottom line: if you need donations to keep your installer source running, then put that in your signature instead of hating on those who write "armadillo fix the installer! more icons!".
    13" MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB DDR2 PC-5300 RAM, 500GB external HD
    4GB iPhone, 1.1.2, unlocked on USA T-Mobile

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Not to start a flame war here, but oxeneers, what is disturbing to me, and I am sure many others, is how you claim to be offended at a statement of fact presented by armadillo. No one is forcing you to either use his theme, or to read this thread. So, in short, if you don't like it, see that big red X in the upper right corner of your browser? Just use it.

I have good news. Thanks to those who donated, I will be able to re-instate the sources. I will gradually add the various items that were in the original sources: Aqwoah theme, Battery and Dialer, because these were the most popular items for many. I will keep the bonus sources alive and in fact add more to them to reward the kind folks who made it possible for everyone to get those sources.

I should add that I donated to iPhoneShop as well to motivate its programmer to give us access to the keyboard graphics, so that I can update the keyboard for 1.1.2.

Finally, to oxeneer: I appreciate that you like the theme and I am happy that you are using it. What you apparently don't seem to understand is that I have given out everything for free and continued to do so. This is not a get rich quick scheme. No one has ever complained about any of my stuff as long as I just uploaded it here at MMi. people just asked when it would be available through installer. I then tried to make it even easier and convenient to give people access to the themes and mods by making a source. That's when the trouble started. I had not expected that this extra service would entail additional costs for me. In fact, I followed your suggestion and put the request for donations into my sig and got absolutely nothing. Just like you, I have to make choices what to spend my money on and I figured that I'd rather support developers rather than giving it to people who think everything should be free. So if you don't want to donate to me, please consider donating to other developers who make your iPhone experience so much more pleasant. I sure hope that you didn't mean your "holier-than-thou" comment seriously...

Update: I just got an email from the iPhoneShop developer and he said that my donation was the first ever. At the risk of disturbing people in this thread, visit his page and consider a small donation for him, because without iPhoneShop, none of the images in artwork are moddable: http://code.google.com/p/iphoneshop/
    Last edited by armadillo; 2007-12-06 at 10:04 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to armadillo For This Useful Post:

spongebobiwan (2007-12-06)

iPhone? More like MyPhone spongebobiwan's Avatar
    Thanks

I would merely like to express my "hats off" to you, Army. I am not a coder so I really have no idea how much time and effort goes into creating your projects, themes, icons, etc. But my guess is, that it is a substantial amount of time based on the resultant product put forth here on MMI. The whole Aqwoah theme package (theme, dialer, calculator, battery images, keyboard, icons) is phenomenal and I have been using it since I found it here at MMI back on 1.0.2. I am also using your version (skins) for the MACalc calculator program. These have certainly made my whole iPhone experience much more pleasurable.

I am running 1.1.2 now, and recently used a certain 3rd party app which trashed my iPhone and had to do the complete restore/re-jailbreak process, a lengthy and arduous undertaking to be sure. When I arrived at the point in the process where I wanted to restore my Aqwoah theme with all the above "goodies" again, I came here only to discover you had been forced to remove the installer source due to insufficient bandwidth/funds.

It was totally acceptable to me to make a small contribution to once again be able to enjoy the "fruits of your labor". I did not find it in the least bit distasteful of you to ask for some small contributions to enable you to continue providing a source for your efforts to the iPhone community (as some other(s) may have). I was happy to do so and grateful for your efforts that I am quite certain these small contributions are not in any way accumulating large funds in your Switzerland bank accounts <grin>.

It just seems to me, that we live in a world these days that it is so much easier and commonplace to be critical and judgemental of people and/or their efforts or actions. Wouldn't it be nice if people (spouses, bosses, friends, aquaintences, co-workers, MMI community, etc.) would instead take that same time and energy used to be critical and judgemental to give a "pat on the back" and say "Thanks, for a job well done"? I would be willing to bet, that productivity as well as morale would increase ten fold.

Well, from me Army, please accept my "thanks, for a job well done" and my appreciation and gratitude for your efforts and "gifts" to the iPhone community. And if I am not mistaken, I would guess that I speak for the vast majority of this MMI community and the iPhone community at large.

Page 23 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast