Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Skin the other side of your phone on a budget =)

Default Skin the other side of your phone on a budget =)
    Well.. The picture tells it all.. Have fun kids.

And... Im not even gonna get into this one.. But I will tell you, If you have some kahoneas.. And a lot of sandpaper.. Aluminum is polishable..Go Chrome! myPhone blings with the best
    Loring Studios Graphic Design Company | Serving the world, one cool job at a time.
    Graphic Design | Vehicle Wraps | Website Design | Large Format Printing

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    actually.. the back of the iphone isn't aluminum, but "really nice plastic"

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/17/l...ng-the-iphone/

Thats wierd. Must be REALLY NICE. because it polishes like metal.. Even turns black with mothers and rouge. I think that guys on crack.
    Loring Studios Graphic Design Company | Serving the world, one cool job at a time.

Nice tut loring. Very creative

do you have any other pics of what youve done with the vinyl?

[QUOTE=dieselstation;19483]actually.. the back of the iphone isn't aluminum, but "really nice plastic"

Were did you get your information that the back is plastic? I can see the black part is but the silver, it's aluminum. You must have a aftermark on yours. I just tested mine and it's aluminum.

Oh - he probily doesn't even own a Iphone.
    Last edited by XFaega; 2007-08-31 at 03:28 AM.

Did you really polish the back with sandpaper? What kind did you use and what process did you do? Any more pics of the finished product? David D.

Ya guys. I polished it like crazy. It WILL void your warranty because you are sanding off the serial numbers on the back of the case.
    Use 300 grit- 800- 1400- 2400 and then polish with mothers as instructed on the tub until you have a mirrored chrome finish. Touch up as necessary.

NOTE: Recently the bottom of my phone in the dock area touch functions stopped working in no relation to modding. (apparently its an ongoing problem with the phones) They told me "they would exchange the phone this once, but if I bring a sanded phone again they would not warranty it."
    So I don't recommend doing it! lol

Loring what is polish with mothers ? and did you do the black part on the bottom to and the chrome apple too? D

Mothers is like a cream you can get at any auto store. it goes on with a rag.. and you can keep rubbing and wiping to a mirror finish. Only after sanding of course. =)
    No.. I took that piece off so I wouldnt sand it. It is plastic

loring, thanks for the reply, did you remove the black plastic piece or the silver back? Is it hard to remove? on the silver piece did you just go ahead and sandpaper and polish the shiny apple too? Thank you, David D.

Theres a special tool you can get from pda parts to take apart the case along with a new case (I would sand the aftermarket one and keep your stock one in case you need to return it)
    If you use the case opener tool you can prevent messing up the case. They also have instructions on removing the case "gently" and taking apart the phone.
    I sanded the apple.. BUT it is lower so you cant sand it smooth.. If you sanded through the apple you would sand through the silver case part.

Hope that helps! You can also buy a black replacement back from some of these companies.
    You can find them here > Click this link http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...ry_Code=IPHONE

Edit: Ooops forgot to tell you. If you remove the black part.. make SURE to tape up the insides so you dont get a mess in there. Now that I am reviewing this again. I would say just sand the aftermarket one and replace the factory one with the polished one. That would make WAY easier for polishing.

Hmmm... Maybe I'll start selling them hahahah
    Last edited by LoringStudios; 2007-09-07 at 04:48 PM. Reason: added