Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: springroll : use summerboard themes on new firmware

Talking springroll : use summerboard themes on new firmware
    hey everybody, I saw this on one of the other sites I visit and tried it out last night. IMO it's pretty cool. I was bored with my jailbroken 2.0 iphone since there isn't much out there for apps yet. I've been ssh'ing all my old smb themes and using them on the new firmware.. check it out if you wanna....

While it's not a pretty gui that a monkey could use, if you follow the directions listed at the developer's site, most people should find their way.

oops forgot to put the link in.

here it is http://r-ch.net/sr/
    Last edited by mreyn3693; 2008-07-24 at 04:26 PM. Reason: oops forgot to insert the link... lol

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mreyn3693 For This Useful Post:

kcrmson (2008-07-26), resin (2008-07-24)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

that is the main reason why i have not upgraded to 2.0... can't change the theme... but will look into this and if it works, might just upgreade...
    Click that "Thanks" button if I helped you!

yeah, I was used to having so many options on the iphone before 2.0. I'm sure sooner or later it will be like that again but in the meantime this springroll thing is pretty cool.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

great find man

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bts0uth For This Useful Post:

mreyn3693 (2008-07-24)

Works great but I still can't figure out how to change the black image behind the icons.

very good find, I just replaced the icons manually, this is much easier, too bad it doesnt support wallpaper yet.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to icedx2 For This Useful Post:

mreyn3693 (2008-07-24)

OH yeah, forgot to mention that... The background wallpaper behind the icons can't be changed until someone actually modifies springboard to accept wallpapers. bummer but at least it's easy to change almost everything else.

thanks for the props. I wondered why it wasn't here either. This is the site I frequent the most but while impatiently waiting on winpwn 2.0 I was checking a bunch of sites hourly to see if it would be released. I didn't find winpwn yesterday, but I did stumble across this and was pleased. It gave me something to do until 2 in the morning.LOL

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

hmm i cant get it to do anything other than say command not found. i have tried everything i can think of. its not named sr.txt either its just named "sr" in the folder: usr/local/sbin/

btsouth,
    What are you using to enter the commands? Mobileterminal found in cydia? WinScp or putty in windows/mac? If you have made sure the permissions are set to 0755 and it still doesn't work then try what is listed below.

I am using mobileterminal on my iphone and putty on my pc to change themes. If you are using mobileterminal, you have to get to root. To do this, when mobileterminal opens, at the prompt type 'su' and hit enter. it asks for password. type 'alpine'. you won't actually see any characters on the screen but type it in anyway and hit enter again. you should now be logged on as 'root' try the 'sr backup' command to back up your current springboard. if that works then proceed with the 'sr smbconv (theme name) to convert your old smb themes and then type 'sr t (theme name) to apply.
    Hope that helps

mike
    Last edited by mreyn3693; 2008-07-24 at 11:10 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mreyn3693 For This Useful Post:

bts0uth (2008-07-25)

Quote Originally Posted by mreyn3693 View Post
    btsouth,
    What are you using to enter the commands? Mobileterminal found in cydia? WinScp or putty in windows/mac? If you have made sure the permissions are set to 0755 and it still doesn't work then try what is listed below.

I am using mobileterminal on my iphone and putty on my pc to change themes. If you are using mobileterminal, you have to get to root. To do this, when mobileterminal opens, at the prompt type 'su' and hit enter. it asks for password. type 'alpine'. you won't actually see any characters on the screen but type it in anyway and hit enter again. you should now be logged on as 'root' try the 'sr backup' command to back up your current springboard. if that works then proceed with the 'sr smbconv (theme name) to convert your old smb themes and then type 'sr t (theme name) to apply.
    Hope that helps

mike
    Quote Originally Posted by bts0uth View Post
    hmm i cant get it to do anything other than say command not found. i have tried everything i can think of. its not named sr.txt either its just named "sr" in the folder: usr/local/sbin/

I have the same problem cant get it to work. the files name is sr its in the rite directory and i cant run chmod 755 sr

argh i was excited but its too confusing for me to follow! i'm a total newbie to this and can't really get past the 2nd step... i don't know what SFTP means?
    i guess i'll just wait for summerboard/customize... S

Quote Originally Posted by m1ss_chr1ssy View Post
    argh i was excited but its too confusing for me to follow! i'm a total newbie to this and can't really get past the 2nd step... i don't know what SFTP means?
    i guess i'll just wait for summerboard/customize... S

SFTP is SSH File Transfer Protocol (sometimes called Secure File Transfer Protocol or SFTP)

you can use winscp which is what i use

thanks for responding so quickly!

im guessing winscp is a windows program? so i download putty to my computer and then type the commands into there?

sorry about my total lack of knowledge, i appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ss_chr1ssy View Post
    thanks for responding so quickly!

im guessing winscp is a windows program? so i download putty to my computer and then type the commands into there?

sorry about my total lack of knowledge, i appreciate your help.
    No need to be sorry.. but you use that program to transfer the sr and them files. like stated before u need to install the terminal software on your phone and this is were you type the commands.

Got this from the site

How do I install it?

1. Download this file. (It's not compressed, it's just Ruby source code, so right-click and save as.)
    2. Go to Cydia and install the Ruby package from the Scripting category, as well as OpenSSH if you don't have it yet.
    3. SFTP 'sr' to /usr/local/sbin. (If the directory does not exist, create it.)
    4. Back up your current user interface using sr backup from ssh (as root).
    5. Apply the theme of your choice using sr theme ThemeName from ssh (as root).

Hope that helps If not just Ask

It's now on Cydia.

Just download it (it also installs Ruby).

Just follow [ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=yMEvh36gNZU"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=yMEvh36gNZU[/ame] and SpringRoll - How to Use

And I'm now rocking with the Radiance SMB Theme, along with changed default icons and App Store icons.

Sweet. A decent holdover if you can't wait for summerboard or customize.
    Last edited by hartphoto; 2008-07-28 at 01:51 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hartphoto For This Useful Post:

d0m3 (2008-07-28), d3fuze (2008-07-29)

Banned
    Thanks

Wallpaper anyone?

How did you do that pear?

Banned
    Thanks

Tonight tonight... I gotta run to work now....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What did he do?

Nm i see the Wallpaper now.
    Last edited by mondo; 2008-07-30 at 08:58 PM.