Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Five New Themes

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

nice man
     Think Different

I notice that recently some people are using this forum to redirect to other sites for downloading their themes. If you are not going to upload these themes here, please stop this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to armadillo For This Useful Post:

scuzzy19 (2007-11-04)

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    I notice that recently some people are using this forum to redirect to other sites for downloading their themes. If you are not going to upload these themes here, please stop this.
    So, sharing a theme is only welcome if you upload your theme? I didn't see that in the forum rules. I'd be reluctant to upload my themes to someone else's web space.

If you are reluctant to share your themes with the users on this forum, then you may very well be in the wrong forum to begin with. If you think this is a forum for advertising your own site, then you are definitely in the wrong place.

Oh, and just maybe the people whose icons you took from sites such as deviantart might be reluctant to have their icons hosted on your site. Think about it. This is NOT your original work. You took it from others and are hosting it on your site. So your excuse does not apply.
    Last edited by armadillo; 2007-11-04 at 09:09 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If you are reluctant to share your themes with the users on this forum, then you may very well be in the wrong forum to begin with. If you think this is a forum for advertising your own site, then you are definitely in the wrong place.

Oh, and just maybe the people whose icons you took from sites such as deviantart might be reluctant to have their icons hosted on your site. Think about it. This is NOT your original work. You took it from others and are hosting it on your site. So your excuse does not apply.
    I get what you're saying Armadillo, but it's not like you have to register or sign up to download his themes. What he's doing is no worse than using rapidshare or some other free webhosting site.

Not quite. He only provided a link to his site. Had a given a direct download link to the themes, I would not have complained. Obviously, he wants to have people visit his site. That is fine, but he could have posted direct links and asked people to visit his site. As it stands, the post can be considered a huge banner post.

Imagine this to become the rule. Then the forum would essentially become a link hub.

armadillo is right.
    If you must host the files on your own site, you need to direct link to it.
    Other wise, it is just a "spam" post.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Word, I understand.

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Yes. Posting content/screenshots on our site with no actual downloadable content is just spamming our board. Please either post your content here, with a link to the original source in your sig or the post if its not every post, or find another way to advertise your site.

We are not a free bulletin board. Thanks for your understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisThePelvis View Post
    I'd be reluctant to upload my themes to someone else's web space.
    But you'd have no issues using their success as a board as free advertising for yours?
    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 2007-11-05 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Not quite. He only provided a link to his site. Had a given a direct download link to the themes, I would not have complained. Obviously, he wants to have people visit his site. That is fine, but he could have posted direct links and asked people to visit his site. As it stands, the post can be considered a huge banner post.

Imagine this to become the rule. Then the forum would essentially become a link hub.
    I should be listed in the rules to avoid this kind of thing I actually read them.

I changed the links above to include a direct link to the post...feedback or a different link?

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Yes. Posting content/screenshots on our site with no actual downloadable content is just spamming our board. Please either post your content here, with a link to the original source in your sig or the post if its not every post, or find another way to advertise your site.

We are not a free bulletin board. Thanks for your understanding.

But you'd have no issues using their success as a board as free advertising for yours?
    When I said:

I'd be reluctant to upload my themes to someone else's web space.
    What I meant was uploading my themes to your web space would be using your bandwidth to host my files. I would not feel right about that without explicit permission.

I have changed the links above. Please change the rules and I will be glad to fix it up as you want. Quite honestly, I was just being lazy with my initial link since it was late and I seem to have stepped on a nerve.
    Last edited by ElvisThePelvis; 2007-11-05 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I should be listed in the rules to avoid this kind of thing I actually read them.
    I would consider this standard board netiquette. But if it requires a rule, then may be that should go into the Rules section.

I changed the links above to include a direct link to the post...feedback or a different link?
    Thanks.

What I meant was uploading my themes to your web space would be using your bandwidth to host my files. I would not feel right about that without explicit permission.
    That's BS. Come on. The board invites uploads. What do you need? A special invitation?

I have changed the links above. Please change the rules and I will be glad to fix it up as you want.
    You really think that as long as something is not explicitly discouraged, you are free to do as you please? Who are you? If someone spams your board, I guess it's okay, since you don't have a rule against it?

Quite honestly, I was just being lazy with my initial link since it was late and I seem to have stepped on a nerve.
    While I appreciate your fixing the OP, I don't appreciate your attitude and the justification. A simple sorry and here's the fix would have been perfect.

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

When I said:

I have changed the links above. Please change the rules and I will be glad to fix it up as you want. Quite honestly, I was just being lazy with my initial link since it was late and I seem to have stepped on a nerve.
    No problem. For the future, I will adjust the rules, but the way we work is we love folk submitting new skins, and just ask that you upload here as well if you are going to announce them here. If you do not want to, you're definitely not required to post them here, that's just standard etiquette. Otherwise it comes across as simply using the board as advertising. May not have been your intention at all, I understand.

Thanks, please adjust accordingly and lets move on.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews