Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: help with loading theme to iphone

Default help with loading theme to iphone
    hello all i kinda like a noob here...i searched and tried to load new themes on my iphone but its not working ...could u guys help me out, how do i do it...i tried it with ibrickr and its not working for me.

There are a few ways to do this. If you have installer, which I assume you do, you can simply install them from here. Look under summerboard themes and iswitcher themes.
    If you want to load them manually, you need to use ssh or iphonebrowser (or any other file program for file access) to get them on your phone. Simply navigate to private/var/root/Library/Summerboard/Themes. Create a new folder under themes and name it the theme name. Then place theme files there.

Quote Originally Posted by pmas View Post
    There are a few ways to do this. If you have installer, which I assume you do, you can simply install them from here. Look under summerboard themes and iswitcher themes.
    If you want to load them manually, you need to use ssh or iphonebrowser (or any other file program for file access) to get them on your phone. Simply navigate to private/var/root/Library/Summerboard/Themes. Create a new folder under themes and name it the theme name. Then place theme files there.
    ok gotcha, did all this, theme name is in SB but there is no picture, it reverts back to original wallpaper. What files do I need int he folder?

ok im having the same problem too i do them by installer pick the theme download it press the home button slide to unlock phone and it goes back to the default theme

make sure you pick the theme and make sure show theme wallpaper is on. I had to reinstall them a few times for it to take but all is good

It should revert to the selected wallpaper immediately. You must have a bad egg.

Reako

None of the themes are loading for me through the installer? is there something i am missing? sorry for the noob questions, i just can't figure it out

If you're using themes from installer, then when you go into SMBPrefs, make sure you turn Theme Wallpaper to on...Everything under the appearance part in SMBPrefs on my phone are turned to on. Then under advanced, I just have wallpaper turned to on. If you're using iSwitcher, first you have to select the theme you want to use in that app. Then go back into SMBPrefs and go into the theme menu. Select the one that says iSwitcher.

If you're trying to put themes you downloaded from somewhere onto your phone, then it's a little tricky, as folder names and such are very particular. First, what you want to do is go into the theme folder itself. In this folder should be THREE things (normally). There should be a folder named Icons (with the "I" capitalized). In this folder is where you put ALL of your icons, obviously. When you download them, 9 times out of 10 they will all be in their own separate folders, and the images themselves will be named Icon.PNG. If this is the situation, what I normally do is make a separate folder, and rename it the same as the theme. Then I make another folder inside this one named Icons. From there, I move the images of the icons ONLY (not the whole folder) from the original one to the new one. Rename the icons appropriately, like Calculator.PNG, and Clock.PNG, etc. Make sure the first letter of each is capitalized. Once you have all of the icon images renamed and in ONE folder (Icons) then you're done with that part. Then, go back into the main theme folder. In here should be Wallpaper.PNG (again the "W" should be caps), which is obviously the background of the theme. Then, there should be Dock.PNG. If you have to rename them then do so before you load the theme, or it won't work. Another thing, sometimes I get wallpapers that are JPEG files, and they don't work for me at all, so I have to use an image converter to change the file type to PNG. Just google easy image converter if you ever run into this problem. It's free, and easy to use. Once you've done all this, just simply put the folder into var/root/library/SummerBoard/Themes (I use WinSCP, but I'm pretty sure it's the same path for all of the different programs), and you're all set. Just go to SMBPrefs and select the theme! Let me know if you need any more help, and I'll try my best. It took me a while to figure it out myself.

thanks man i appreciate it but i'm kinda new to this so, what is SMBPrefs and var/root/library/SummerBoard/Themes. is WinSCP a program for the iphone?

ok i figured out how to load them using the installer, i added the summerboard app and from there it was pretty easy...
    now whats winSCP i d/l it but i don't see how to connect the iphone to it?
    Last edited by yoskywosky; 2007-11-29 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I would google a "how to" WinSCP guide...They're out there, because I too, am new at all of this, and I read a guide online....somewhere. A basic rundown, though:

WinSPC is a program you download to your computer to connect wirelessly from your computer to your phone. Go to your settings menu on the phone, and then into the WiFi menu (assuming you have a WiFi connection). The connection you're using will assign an IP to your phone. That's what you put in the first box of WinSCP. Next, the user name is going to be (no quotations of course) "root". The password is "dottie" (again, no quotes) or "alpine". Then you change the drop down menu to SCP, and login. It might take a while the first time, and if it tells you it has timed out, ignore it, it should eventually connect. From there, you follow the paths I mentioned previously for installing themes. The only thing that really threw me for a loop was changing the password for WinSCP, because the ones I mentioned above are only good for 1 time. If you don't change it, then I don't think you can login again...Not to mention the password needs to be encrypted. Like I said, google a WinSPC first time users guide, or something of the like, and follow the instructions and you should be good to go...

*edit* I managed to find the guide I used, and though it's "depreciated" it still helped me out. Here you go! =)

http://www.hacktheiphone.com/74/ipho...indows_74.html
    Last edited by ChrisLF; 2007-11-29 at 06:34 PM.

Thanks

Read my post here for how to do it in ibrickr.

awesome, you guys are great ill let you know if i have trouble but that seems like enough info.

Banned
    Thanks

The Easiest way to do this on windows is to install iPhoneBrowser1.4, plug-in your iphone, open up iphonebrowser, click the "go to location" button at the top, then select summerboard themes, then all you have to do is drag the theme folder over to iphonebrowser. It's very simple as long as the theme folder has everything in it correctly.