Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using IconFactory? DONT!

Default Using IconFactory? DONT!
    It is illegal guys.

If you read.. It says they are only intended for desktop use.
    It says on the License attached to every icon set. Yes, they may have icons that are meant for the iPhone, but legally, they can not leave your desktop.

So unless you contact their rightful owners and get permission to use them in a theme, I would recommend to stop using that site.

--Trent J.

EDIT: I sent an e-mail to the webmaster and asked permission for use to create themes specifically for the iPhone.

If I get permission, then you guys are good to go.. if not.. then.. have fun getting caught. I am sure somebody around here will snitch.
    Last edited by Trent J.; 2007-10-15 at 02:21 AM.
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.

I'm fairly certain that you are free to use the icons as you see fit for personal use. Just don't publish or redistribute them. That means: if you want to use them in a theme, go for it, but don't release that theme without getting the icon authors permission first.

Otherwise you are a ripper, and that's no fun.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Nashville, TN- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
    Thanks

Because what most people on here are doing is legal right?

In all honesty people, just dont redistribute them without permission...give the author credit...it's not easy to make that stuff

What exactly is illegal about modifying your phone?

It may violate the (itunes) terms of service and void a warranty or two, but it's perfectly legal.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Nashville, TN- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
    Thanks

Pretty illegal to break hardware coding to allow your phone to work on other carriers....pretty illegal to modify without permission a proprietary software system that has locks in place

Im not preaching....my pretty little 1.1.1 jailbroken iphone is sitting right here beside me

I know we are all doing illegal stuff.. but that site could pin-point use easier.

You know how many people hack their iPhones? Apple would never be able to catch them all.

But if somebody runs over to IF and says hey, this person on this site is using all your icons in a theme when it says only use for the desktop.

A lot easier to get caught.. you see?

Don't be so dramatic. They would probably just ask to have them removed. It's not like you're distributing commercial copyrighted material after it's been edited. No one has to pay for the wallpapers, so they just have to remove them. Sheesh.

I do appreciate you asking permission where others haven't though, thanks.

I am just trying to simply warn you guys...

I would love to use them too.. but..

Quote Originally Posted by ufmedrudy View Post
    Because what most people on here are doing is legal right?
    I chuckled at that. =D

And Trent J., thanks for the heads up.
    Make sure you let us know how the email turns out.

IMHO, most designers would want their icons out there, especially on a frickin iPhone! As long as you give credit of course. If someone gets an email asking them to stop distributing icons, then be a smart person and stop. (then put it up on torrent (haha, jay kay))

Well that is the thing, they dont say who makes them on the site. So, you cant really persay "give credit to the makers."

It all runs through the IconFactory Site.

I think you are being a tad over dramatic. The icons are given out for free and putting them on an iPhone vs. leaving them on your computer desktop is not that big of a deal. I wouldn't be too worried about getting caught "misusing" icons that are distributed for free.

http://iconfactory.com/freeware/preview/stillthirsty

I saw they even have a iphone wallpaper made!
    And this icon set, based off of the iphone.
    http://iconfactory.com/freeware/preview/iph3
    Last edited by Dash-2; 2007-10-15 at 04:13 AM.

For some reason, I have absolutely no concerns about this...unless someone's SELLING IconFactory's icons as their own, this is much ado about nothing.

Worst case scenario........I can't actually think of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent J. View Post
    A lot easier to get caught.. you see?
    Caught doing what exactly?
    Last edited by jwcrash; 2007-10-15 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Pretty illegal to break hardware coding to allow your phone to work on other carriers
    Actually it isn't, it's specifically allowed even under the DMCA as an exception to it.
    5) cell phone firmware that ties a phone to a specific wireless network;

....pretty illegal to modify without permission a proprietary software system that has locks in place
    Again, it depends where you live.

Why is it that anytime someone does something a company doesn't like everything think's it's illegal? Sheesh. The RIAA and MPAA have some people trained well.

You can modify, unlock, and mod your iphone all you want and it is *not* illegal.

Thumbs down Minds on lockdown
    Quote Originally Posted by markmon View Post
    Why is it that anytime someone does something a company doesn't like everything think's it's illegal? Sheesh. The RIAA and MPAA have some people trained well.
    Controlling people's minds is all about training them to feel uncomfortable about anything without clearly defined boundaries. Basically, make people apprehensive for even THINKING about something new or different.

Scared = Controlled in a lot of situations...like this one!
    PLEASE click everyone's "Thanks" buttons...they are begging for it.