Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Announces its Latest iPad Competitor, the Surface 3

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Microsoft Announces its Latest iPad Competitor, the Surface 3

After two generations worth of ARM-based tablets running a limited version of Windows, Microsoft finally appears to be abandoning the low-power processors for Intel’s latest Atom chips. This move allows the third-generation Surface to run a full-fledged copy of Windows 8.1. The recent announcement of the $499 Surface 3 marks the end of what Microsoft previously referred to as Windows RT. By turning all makes/models to Intel’s chip architecture, the new Surface 3 has become more of a laptop-style device that is capable of running traditional Windows applications.

The Surface 3, which comes in at the same price point as the iPad Air 2, continues to remain positioned as a competitor to Apple’s iPad lineup. With the latest revision, Microsoft is hoping to bring in legacy Windows app support, which it is banking will help with the traction of the device. It also brings the Surface 3 in line with the Surface Pro series which start at $799 and have been running Intel processors and a full copy of Windows since the device’s first debut. Alongside being a competitor for the iPad lineup, Microsoft dually seems to be positioning itself as a competitor to Apple’s MacBook Air as well.

For those of you who didn’t know, the Surface 3 features a 10.8-inch display that runs on a 3:2 aspect ratio. It also has an improved three-stage kickstand but continues to lack the adjustable kickstand that was introduced on the Surface Pro 3. Microsoft claims that the new Atom processor helps to provide users with 10 hours of video playback but we’ll have to wait for tests to reveal true battery life information. He announcement also lifted the covers on an updated iteration of the Surface’s Type Covers including the magnetic snap feature that was found on the Pro 3 that helps to make the device more study when used on someone’s lap. It also continues to offer a dedicated USB port for connecting accessories and Microsoft appears to have thrown in a free one-year Office 365 Personal subscription with each purchase. Additionally, the Surface 3 also supports the same Microsoft-built Pen which was introduced with the Pro 3 model allowing users to quickly take notes and gain additional features with the tablet-laptop hybrid. The base $499 model comes with 64 gigabytes of storage when it launches on May 5 but the Type Cover and Pen are sold separately priced at $130 and $50.

Are any of you considering purchasing the Surface 3? What are your thoughts on the device and the announcements in general? Share your thoughts below!

Source: Microsoft Surface (blog)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What about calling and sms feature with SIM ?

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

64 gigs? Yea right... You mean 23, cuz after the operating system and all that, you only have 23 gigs of space available to use, right?

I wonder how that atom processor is going to stack up against the A8X. I've only had my iPad air 2 for a few months now, but there's no doubting the thing is a monster when it comes to performance.

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
    64 gigs? Yea right... You mean 23, cuz after the operating system and all that, you only have 23 gigs of space available to use, right?
    64GB (unformatted space) = 59.6 GiB (formatted space)
    16GiB+/- 2GiB = ~43GiB available

SDCard slot, USB port for external drives.

It's meant to be cheap with a full desktop OS. It certainly fits that.

---

I don't expect this to take off too much. the Surface Pro line is where the Surface series is amazing. I have a SP2 (4300U, 8GB RAM, 256GB) with Windows Server, Ubuntu 14.04, and OS X Yosemite. It handles whatever I reasonably throw at it.

This cant it be compared to an IPad. The surface is in a completely different league it far outclasses the IPad. It should be compared with other laptops not tablets. I know I own both.