Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Report Reveals Apple Losing Ground to Generic Tablets in 2014

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Report Reveals Apple Losing Ground to Generic Tablets in 2014

A recent report from Strategy Analytics suggests that “Brand X” tablets collectively helped to outperform the market share that Apple’s iPad and Samsung’s various offerings held in 2014. This marks the first time that generic device makers beat out the established brands on a year-end basis. Generic tablet suppliers rebadging their products under another brand name ended up shipping roughly 70 million devices last year to take 29% of the market worldwide according to the folks over at Re/code.

The Cupertino California company did retain its top spot as the global tablet vendor of choice with 26% of the market. Samsung ended the year with 17% share according to the report. What was a bit more surprising for everyone was that Brand X tablets are now beginning to creep up on the market leaders. Speculation points towards the move being expected as tablet formats reach developing markets where pricing tends to take priority over polish. In addition to tackling emerging markets, generic tablet manufacturers are also supplying hardware for rebranding and distribution as part of the UR wireless carrier promotions that are typically given away on contract. Strategy Analytics senior analyst, Eric Smith, had the following to say regarding the matter:

It's pretty easy to find the deals: Get a data plan and a tablet for free.
    For most of the quarter ending in December, Apple ended up reporting iPad sales of 21.4 million units – a number which is down 18% year over year. The sales decline spurred a 22% dip in revenue from the same time last year with Apple earning about $9 billion compared to last year’s $11.5 billion performance.

It should be noted that Tim Cook did address the slower tablet sales during the company’s quarterly earnings conference call stating that the iPad has a bright future and numbers should stabilize “over the long run.” He even went as far as citing a report from Chitika Research which stated that more than 70% of the web traffic in North America came from tablets. The statistic suggests that the less expensive tablets aren’t being used as often as Apple’s iPad. Another thing to note was that Cook did mention that the iPad may not see a “miraculous” improvement year-over-year performance in the near term indicating that this year’s iPad will be relatively the same as the last with the likely few spec bumps.

Apple is rumored to be releasing a larger format “iPad Pro” in the coming few months which may change things. We’ll have to wait and see if the rumor is true and furthermore, we’ll have to wait and see if the sales of the iPad stabilize over time as Cook had mentioned.

Source: Strategy Analytics via Re/code

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

It's really a no brainier when it comes to tablets. There hasn't really been anything new that one tablet does over another. When I can get a no- name for less than the price of the Apple warranty why wouldn't I unless I had some investment in the ecosystem?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    It's really a no brainier when it comes to tablets. There hasn't really been anything new that one tablet does over another. When I can get a no- name for less than the price of the Apple warranty why wouldn't I unless I had some investment in the ecosystem?
    Pretty much right on the money there. Unless you plan to do something out of normal everyday use such as heavy 3d gaming or need apps that are iOS only, people are going to buy the cheap no-name that serves their needs

The main reason is apple doesn't accept people's requests for features.
    1. You cant use USSD Codes to check your data balance, top up, bank queries, package activations, All other tablets offer this.

2. Many careers gives free minutes. But in iPad, you can't make calls. Whether it's need or not that user should decide. Not apple. All other tablets offer calling also.

3. No Bluetooth Obex file share.
    4. No FM radio
    5. No Cellular SMS and delivery reports.
    6. No 3G only or 2G only mode in network settings

Apple makes devices for America and it ignores the 3rd world where still no country wide 3G coverage. And people are prepaid customers.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Men View Post
    1. You cant use USSD Codes to check your data balance, top up, bank queries, package activations, All other tablets offer this.

2. Many careers gives free minutes. But in iPad, you can't make calls. Whether it's need or not that user should decide. Not apple. All other tablets offer calling also.

4. No FM radio

Apple makes devices for America and it ignores the 3rd world where still no country wide 3G coverage. And people are prepaid customers.
    Very good additional points there.

…and I can’t use it as a dumb terminal for my Mac. That would really be the EcoSystem working well. In fact it’s the only thing that’s stopped me buying one.

My iPhone is a Part of Me AKCHRIS's Avatar
    Thanks

Buy Cheap Get Cheap, why make a fuss about it. As far as Making calls, the Cellular versions of iPads & Samsung can do that. Please let me know when a Cheap Wal-Mart brand RCA tablet can do the same thing ok...cause I'm not sure about YOU..but chatting with someone on a .8mp cam...via Skype JUST.....doesn't sound all that inciting to me, not to mention..picture quality will Suck at best, but again...cheap is as Cheap is.

I've tried various off-brand tablets. They are frustrating pieces of sh*t. I understand that people are enticed with $99 tablets, and they probably sell like hotcakes. But they are a complete crap experience.

A friend of mine bought $79 Chinese made tablets for his kids. Key presses were either double-registering or not registering. You were constantly going back to make corrections.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Men View Post

4. No FM radio

1. USSD Codes? You want to check data balance, I think all major carriers off an app to check your account status and statement.
    Bank queries? I think most/all major banks have their own apps for online banking.

2. I'd love to know what CARRIER gives out free minutes. I bet you not all other tablets offer calling, especially if they are wifi only.

3. BT OBEX file share, I'll partially give you that one. iOS devices have Airdrop for sharing files. You can also email something. Internet access is pretty ubiquitous in this age, unless you're in some 3rd world countries.

4. FM radio, I never listen to terrestrial radio, but I guess if you must have it. Also there are apps to listen to terrestrial radio. For me it's nothing but Pandora, iTunes Radio, Spotify, Soundcloud, podcasts, and music from my library.

5. No SMS that I know of on iPads, unless you have an iPhone as well (continuity/hand off), but we do have iMessage on iPads.

6. You CAN turn off 4G/LTE on iPads, its in the settings. TRY AGAIN.