Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumor Claims Apple's 12.9-inch iPad Will Run Both OS X and iOS

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Rumor Claims Apple's 12.9-inch iPad Will Run Both OS X and iOS

A crazy rumor has it that Apple is working on a 12.9-inch iPad that will be able to run both iOS and Mac OS X. Imagine being able to switch from iOS to OS X when some real work needs to get done? As appealing as that sounds though, it is highly unlikely that this will be implemented in Apple’s next iPad. DigiTimes claims these rumors come from the upstream supply chain. Reports from DigiTimes also state that there are two 12-inch prototypes currently being tested but are not clear if both will actually enter mass production and be released to the public.

Apple’s rumored 12-inch tablet, which is said to be scheduled for release in 2015, may become the vendor’s first device to feature an operating system that integrates Mac OS and iOS.
    These rumors seem a bit farfetched and DigiTimes is not a source to really rely on, since they haven’t had the best track record when dealing with Apple’s future plans. Take these rumors with a grain of salt as we also believe these rumors are a bit crazy. We will have to just wait and see what’s on Apple’s agenda for the iPad lineup. The Cupertino-based company will be holding another event on October 16th- which is less than 10 days away. This time, Apple is expected to announce it’s new iPad devices, along with OS X Yosemite and new iMacs. We will keep you updated as we receive more news.

How do you feel about this rumor? Do you think it’s true? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Source: DigiTimes

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Has the October event been confirmed?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Default October events...
    Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    Has the October event been confirmed?
    Yes and it's gonna be on October 16 I believe...

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

"We will have to just wait and see what’s on Apple’s agenda for the iPad lineup" This should be included with every article concerning iPad rumors.

Thanks

Come on Apple... Gimme that iPod touch 6...

......beware......

They did file a patent a while ago for a laptop convertible that has iOS and OSX. In normal laptop form it's OSX. Then the screen slides over the keyboard and it changed to iOS. There have been rumors for a 12 in MacBook and iPad. Maybe it's the same device.
    http://www.patentlyapple.com/.a/6a01...5974513970c-pi

Thumbs up Now that is a tablet I'd really like to buy
    Please, please, please! Just once make something I want... I'd buy that thing for (almost) any price!

it's going to be another stupid ipad air with A8 chip in it....THAT'S ALL!!!

don't expect Apple to surprise us with anything nice. An ipad capable of OSX....lol!!! good one!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    it's going to be another stupid ipad air with A8 chip in it....THAT'S ALL!!!

don't expect Apple to surprise us with anything nice. An ipad capable of OSX....lol!!! good one!!
    I'm not sure if I believe the OSX thing, but I'm not sure. I feel like it's been too long since they even really changed the form factor of the iPad. It's not like there's all that much to add, but I feel certain it'll have Touch ID and a good possibility for NFC. Who knows, maybe they'll throw in something cool like an IR Blaster (doubt it) or sliding keyboard. The biggest thing with the keyboard is the fact that it goes against Apple's new "SLIM ALL THE THINGS" policy.

......beware......

Although the Surface Pro has been lackluster in the sales department for 3 generations now, the Lenovo Yoga and Asus Transformer Book have had success. OSX is versatile enough that with slight changes it could easily function in a touch only environment as well as one assisted by a keyboard and trackpad. I originally just thought that it was going to be similar to the Galaxy line and just be an oversized version of what they already had, and I have no use for the extra screen real estate at the loss of some portability so it wasn't even a product I was considering. If it however boots both or even OSX only, it will be my next Apple purchase as I use my 13" Retina MBP for everything the iPad doesn't fit for and having it in a smaller form factor would be perfect for me. I really hope this rumor turns out to be more than just speculation. 8 days until we find out.....

Thanks
    Thanked 16,486 Times in 7,705 Posts

Steve Jobs is rolling over in his grave that Windows beat Apple to the first laptop/tablet combo... Would have never happened on his watch..

Thanks

its a BIG IPHONE without native call capabilities..lets be honest. I still have an iPad II because nothing has really changed. I have been waiting and wanting OS X on the iPad since day one. If they do that, they will not be able to sell any MB Airs..competing against themselves. They would have to rethink their product line etc. Something i don't think apple is prepared to do at this time. They are in business to make money. If that means giving us what we want, that is a win win. If that means enormous profits and making us wait..still a win for Apple. Nature of the beast.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    its a BIG IPHONE without native call capabilities..lets be honest. I still have an iPad II because nothing has really changed. I have been waiting and wanting OS X on the iPad since day one. If they do that, they will not be able to sell any MB Airs..competing against themselves. They would have to rethink their product line etc. Something i don't think apple is prepared to do at this time. They are in business to make money. If that means giving us what we want, that is a win win. If that means enormous profits and making us wait..still a win for Apple. Nature of the beast.
    I think the reason they'll still sell MacBook Airs is that the iPad (pro?) will have much lower specs than the MacBook. Give it 2GB of RAM, an A8X chip, a max of 128GB hard drive, and remove all external ports with the exception of maybe one or two USB inputs and you have a device great for portable use, but still below the MacBook Air.

I have two other possible suggestions. The first is that the iPad pro and MacBook Air will be the same device. The macpad! Second, while an iPad pro might cannibalize sales of the MacBook Air, will it do so to the extent of losing money. As several people on here have already said, an OSX iPad is something they've wanted for years, so which would make them more money, the iPad or MacBook? I have no idea, but who knows what they'll really do?

......beware......

Thanks
    Thanked 16,486 Times in 7,705 Posts

^^^ well said.. I agree completely.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-10-08)