Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tim Cook Spends 80% of His Time on the iPad and Feels Everyone Should Do The Same

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Tim Cook Spends 80% of His Time on the iPad and Feels Everyone Should Do The Same

Back in 2012, Apple CEO Tim Cook had stated that he spends about 80-90% of his time on the iPad. However, it was recently reported by WSJ that Cook feels everyone should be on the iPad just as much as he is. It was also reported that he thinks the vision should become reality due to the partnership with IBM. Cook stated:

There’s no reason why everyone shouldn’t be like that. Imagine enterprise apps being as simple as the consumer apps that we’ve all gotten used to. That’s the way it should be…
    Apparently, IBM and Apple will be partnering to create workplace apps to provide an easy-going front end to big-data analytics.

Apple and IBM said the ambition is to reimagine how people work by connecting securely the insights gleaned from big data analytics with an easy-to-use app on smartphones and tablets that consumers are familiar with.

IBM Chief Executive Virginia Rometty said Apple engineers are able “to take the complex and render it simple.”
    The two big name companies are looking to develop over 100 apps together and release the first set sometime this fall. IBMs Chief Executive Virginia Bometty has said that one of the first apps to be launched this fall will be for airlines. She said:

One of the first apps under the new initiative helps airline pilots determine the appropriate amount of fuel to carry on a flight. This requires not only crunching data but presenting it in an easy-to-understand way on the pilot’s tablet computer.
    This plan is a pretty logical one if you ask us, considering airlines like United, American, Jet Blue, and BBA are all using iPads on their flights.

Cook stated that he could see “everyone in every enterprise” using an iPad someday. We’re not sure if this vision is a fat-fetched one or one that could potentially happen. What are your thoughts on the matter? Let us know below.

Source: WSJ

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Dehumanization? Oh wait thats already happened... but this is still sick.

Thanks

If Cook wants enterprise apps, then Apple seriously needs to evaluate making iOS completely open source (not likely but should seriously be considered) or they need to at least make it partially open source or add a better developer API. Enterprise apps can work on a closed platform (like Windows), but iOS needs to be more open than it is right now. Windows is not open source, but it's open enough to the point where developers can make enterprise and business level apps comfortably that allows the end user to do anything that the developers program (which is almost anything). iOS applications can't hook into the system or root at all (for example, a program like Deep Freeze or Windows Group Policy is literally impossible), which is a big problem for enterprises and sysadmins that need to lock down devices to prevent tampering with settings or other unnecessary problems. The fact that iOS isn't more open also kills other potential enterprise applications. I'm naming off system-level apps, but there are far more end-user apps (depending on what industry you're in) that get killed off as well.

Apple has and still is getting killed in terms of enterprise functionality. If you want enterprise functionality in the form of a tablet, a Surface Pro or an Android tablet are your only realistic options, unless your apps that you normally run on a PC can seriously run on a computer with no system access and no lost functionality at the same time.

The iPad and iOS as a whole becoming enterprise level software is an unrealistic idea at this point, unless Apple changes something.

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    If Cook wants enterprise apps, then Apple seriously needs to evaluate making iOS completely open source (not likely but should seriously be considered) or they need to at least make it partially open source or add a better developer API. Enterprise apps can work on a closed platform (like Windows), but iOS needs to be more open than it is right now. Windows is not open source, but it's open enough to the point where developers can make enterprise and business level apps comfortably that allows the end user to do anything that the developers program (which is almost anything). iOS applications can't hook into the system or root at all (for example, a program like Deep Freeze or Windows Group Policy is literally impossible), which is a big problem for enterprises and sysadmins that need to lock down devices to prevent tampering with settings or other unnecessary problems. The fact that iOS isn't more open also kills other potential enterprise applications. I'm naming off system-level apps, but there are far more end-user apps (depending on what industry you're in) that get killed off as well.

Apple has and still is getting killed in terms of enterprise functionality. If you want enterprise functionality in the form of a tablet, a Surface Pro or an Android tablet are your only realistic options, unless your apps that you normally run on a PC can seriously run on a computer with no system access and no lost functionality at the same time.

The iPad and iOS as a whole becoming enterprise level software is an unrealistic idea at this point, unless Apple changes something.
    Thee are a lot of basic enterprise functions it that could be opened up. For example, simply attaching a file to an email within the email compose/reply windows- ie. file system access; even if limited access (dont give users access to root but at least a few folders to move around media and download files. On the same line, allow the browser to download files (any type) into that file system. And let users dictate their stock apps- calendar, contacts, sms, email etc.

As you said, not totally open but open versus the ideology currently. Small changes that keep a lot of users on Android and other platforms.

80% of your time on an iPad, hello fat!

I wouldn't even spend 1% of my time on an iDevice because I can't get anything done. That is just time wasted.

At least with Windows/Android I can do basic things like send multiple e-mail attachments.

"Tim Cook Spends 80% of His Time on the iPad"
    Someone REALLY needs to get laid

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    If Cook wants enterprise apps, then Apple seriously needs to evaluate making iOS completely open source
    Umm, you don't see a big problem with that statement??

I love how you say iOS needs to be open source to succeeed in enterprise, but then go on to explain that an Os doesn't need to be open source to be successful in enterprise. So which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    I wouldn't even spend 1% of my time on an iDevice because I can't get anything done. That is just time wasted.

At least with Windows/Android I can do basic things like send multiple e-mail attachments.
    Why are you here??

PS, you can add multiple attachments to emails in iOS.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2014-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    Umm, you don't see a big problem with that statement??

I love how you say iOS needs to be open source to succeeed in enterprise, but then go on to explain that an Os doesn't need to be open source to be successful in enterprise. So which is it?

Why are you here??

PS, you can add multiple attachments to emails in iOS.
    Can you make some sort of effort to completely read and understand my post? Right after that, I added more to the statement:

or they need to at least make it partially open source or add a better developer API.
    I didn't know reading was such a difficult thing?

Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
    Thee are a lot of basic enterprise functions it that could be opened up. For example, simply attaching a file to an email within the email compose/reply windows- ie. file system access; even if limited access (dont give users access to root but at least a few folders to move around media and download files. On the same line, allow the browser to download files (any type) into that file system. And let users dictate their stock apps- calendar, contacts, sms, email etc.

As you said, not totally open but open versus the ideology currently. Small changes that keep a lot of users on Android and other platforms.
    Yeah, but I just doubt it will happen still. They'll continue to lose business to completely open platforms or closed platforms that are still much more open than iOS. I completely understand why they want the iOS source to be closed, but at the same time, it needs to be much more open than it is if they're expecting companies to come running to get them for their enterprise.
    Last edited by H4CK3R; 2014-07-18 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a95970 View Post
    "Tim Cook Spends 80% of His Time on the iPad"
    Someone REALLY needs to get laid
    Tim said he will take you up on your offer.

Hah 80%, even the most recluse would never spend that much time with electronics. Besides, businesses are VERY data sensitive, it is not a good idea to be sharing/moving information on anything that they don't have absolute control over.

iOS has advantages to being closed down, it is meant for only a certain market. Android is open and is meant for another part of the market. if iOS tries to become more like Android they will lose their edge. It's hard for me explain, but I hope you get the picture.

Perhaps imagine an auto company producing an extremely fuel efficient truck, only problem is it can't haul or fit much more than a car could. You buy a truck to tow your trailer/boat/whatever or move your friends couch, not for fuel efficiency. It becomes pointless. Efficiency is a bonus until it compromises function.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StuG III View Post
    Hah 80%, even the most recluse would never spend that much time with electronics. Besides, businesses are VERY data sensitive, it is not a good idea to be sharing/moving information on anything that they don't have absolute control over.

iOS has advantages to being closed down, it is meant for only a certain market. Android is open and is meant for another part of the market. if iOS tries to become more like Android they will lose their edge. It's hard for me explain, but I hope you get the picture.

Perhaps imagine an auto company producing an extremely fuel efficient truck, only problem is it can't haul or fit much more than a car could. You buy a truck to tow your trailer/boat/whatever or move your friends couch, not for fuel efficiency. It becomes pointless. Efficiency is a bonus until it compromises function.
    Not saying iOS should try to be like Android, in fact, Apple should try to stay as far away from Android as possible. I just feel that iOS needs better developer options if Cook really wants it to be useful to enterprises. I do get your point, though. I just think iOS is too closed down, which doesn't affect the average user much, but when you're running a business with thousands of employees needing a device, there's certain things that you need from the software, and you can't develop some of that stuff right now, and Apple has no plans to do it themselves, so it's basically at a standstill.