Results 1 to 6 of 6

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Using iPad 3G as a Hotspot or Tethered

  1. #1
    Default Using iPad 3G as a Hotspot or Tethered
    With AT&T locking down on iPhone tethering, I was wondering if I can use my iPad 3G as a hotspot, or tethered to my Mac. I'm still grandfathered into the Unlimited Data Plan on my iPad. What apps can/should I use? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 789 Times in 731 Posts

    Check the T&Cs. You can be assured they won't allow it.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Check the T&Cs. You can be assured they won't allow it.
    They don't allow tethering with MyWi/PDANet/etc. without a tethering plan either. But this is the jailbreaking forum, isn't it? Talking about tethering apps are still allowed here, aren't they?

  4. #4
    I am pretty sure discussion of tethering apps is allowed. MyWi will allow one to tether via WiFi/USB/BT and supports iPad, and costs $20. I use it, and it works as advertised. PDANet is another option, but I cannot personally attest to it to working on iPad. Also, it remains to be seen as to whether or not any tethering app can fool your carrier. One thing to consider: if you are tethering, and are using a very small amount bandwidth, you should not have much to worry about. However, if you are tethering so that you can use torrent apps to download 10-20GB per month then you had better watch out...
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

  5. #5
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 789 Times in 731 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by MJedi View Post
    They don't allow tethering with MyWi/PDANet/etc. without a tethering plan either. But this is the jailbreaking forum, isn't it? Talking about tethering apps are still allowed here, aren't they?
    AT&T doesn't allow tethering on iPhones, I doubt the iPad T&C's are any different.

    No problem with tethering discussions.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    I am pretty sure discussion of tethering apps is allowed. MyWi will allow one to tether via WiFi/USB/BT and supports iPad, and costs $20. I use it, and it works as advertised. PDANet is another option, but I cannot personally attest to it to working on iPad. Also, it remains to be seen as to whether or not any tethering app can fool your carrier. One thing to consider: if you are tethering, and are using a very small amount bandwidth, you should not have much to worry about. However, if you are tethering so that you can use torrent apps to download 10-20GB per month then you had better watch out...
    I don't intend to use the iPad 3G as my primary Internet service or to use BitTorrent with it. Only when I'm out somewhere with no Wi-Fi and need to use my Mac. Good to know that MyWi works on the iPad. Thanks!

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •