Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best strategy to remain jailbroken? (Long)

Default Best strategy to remain jailbroken? (Long)
    I recently jailbroke my current iPad2 and would like to keep the jailbroken programs I have installed on it. It's running version 4.3.3.

Unfortunately, someone in my household shattered or scratched the screen soon after I jailbroke it. The screen has three diagonal lines running thru it. I could live with them if I had to but would really prefer a new iPad2. My hope is that the Apple Store will show mercy on me and just let me swap it out with a new one.

Before going to the Apple Store, I assume it's a good idea to restore the iPad to its original settings. Problem is that when I hit "restore" in my updated iTunes, it said the original factory settings would be restored along with the "latest version of iPad firmware" (presumably 4.3.5, which I understand can't be jailbroken).

Likewise, I'm worried that any new iPad2 they give me at the Apple Store would be installed with version 4.3.4 or above (though I'm hopeful it would still be boxed and maybe have an older version).

If I go ahead and restore my current iPad2 and the latest firmware version is installed on it by iTunes, and then the Apple Store says it won't do a swap, is there any way to get my old jailbroken settings back with the older firmware version?

Alternatively, if they let me swap and post-4.3.3 firmware already is installed on it, is there any way to jailbreak it? And if so, can I just get the programs off of my iTunes or do I need to start from scratch?

What is my best strategy to remain jailbroken? I'm a newbie so the easiest-to-follow method would be preferred (I googled some info and my head started spinning with talk of shsh blobs, etc.). Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

I recently jailbroke my current iPad2 and would like to keep the jailbroken programs I have installed on it. It's running version 4.3.3.

Unfortunately, someone in my household shattered or scratched the screen soon after I jailbroke it. The screen has three diagonal lines running thru it. I could live with them if I had to but would really prefer a new iPad2. My hope is that the Apple Store will show mercy on me and just let me swap it out with a new one.

Before going to the Apple Store, I assume it's a good idea to restore the iPad to its original settings.

That is correct, you need to unjailbreak it.

Problem is that when I hit "restore" in my updated iTunes, it said the original factory settings would be restored along with the "latest version of iPad firmware" (presumably 4.3.5, which I understand can't be jailbroken).

Likewise, I'm worried that any new iPad2 they give me at the Apple Store would be installed with version 4.3.4 or above (though I'm hopeful it would still be boxed and maybe have an older version).

They will not give you a boxed Ipad, it is probably a returrned or refurbished. This is good as you may have a chance of getting one that has shsh file.

If I go ahead and restore my current iPad2 and the latest firmware version is installed on it by iTunes, and then the Apple Store says it won't do a swap, is there any way to get my old jailbroken settings back with the older firmware version?

Yes, you can with your saved 4.3.3 shsh file

Alternatively, if they let me swap and post-4.3.3 firmware already is installed on it, is there any way to jailbreak it? And if so, can I just get the programs off of my iTunes or do I need to start from scratch?

Yes, you can jailbreak but not be able to save 4.3.3 shsh blob. You can setup as a backup restore as this is the same idevice you have backup.

What is my best strategy to remain jailbroken? I'm a newbie so the easiest-to-follow method would be preferred (I googled some info and my head started spinning with talk of shsh blobs, etc.). Thanks.

When you install apps or tweaks from Cydia, make sure you read carefully the infos and is meant for Ipad not any other idevices.

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post

They will not give you a boxed Ipad, it is probably a returrned or refurbished. This is good as you may have a chance of getting one that has shsh file.

What does that mean, "one that has shsh file"? Do ipads with the more recent firmware have shsh files (but maybe just shsh files that are not jailbreakable?)?

Yes, you can with your saved 4.3.3 shsh file

how can I be sure I have a "saved 4.3.3 shsh file"? Does Cydia and/or itunes do the saving automatically? Is there a setting I can check to make sure everything is good before I do the "restore" on my old ipad?

Yes, you can jailbreak but not be able to save 4.3.3 shsh blob. You can setup as a backup restore as this is the same idevice you have backup.

This phrasing is beyond my tech level unfortunately. Are you saying the new ipad can use my old ipad's saved 4.3.3 shsh file? If that's the case, why is saving the shsh file so important - it would seem that someone else in the jailbreaking community could just email one to you or post it on the web if it's so readily transferable.

When you install apps or tweaks from Cydia, make sure you read carefully the infos and is meant for Ipad not any other idevices.
    thanks again!
    Last edited by crouch; 2011-07-27 at 04:34 PM. Reason: yellow font too faint

iPhone? More like MyPhone Spaceman1701's Avatar
    Thanks

save ur blobs