Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: backup SHSH blobs necessary

Default backup SHSH blobs necessary
    Hey all,

I just jailbroke my iPad 2 (4.3.3) last night. It is my first jailbreaking attempt, and the posts here have been amazing with the information!

I haven't done this yet, and am scared to do so. What happens now when I connect my iPad to my desktop to run iTunes and transfer some music/movies into my jailbroken iPad? Does everything go as normal?

I have been reading about backing up SHSH blobs, just don't understand how/why.

I would greatly appreciate any info you can offer.

Thanks!!

Syncing will be fine. The reason we save our SHSH blobs is so that we can downgrade/restore, even after Apple has stopped signing the firmware. For example, 4.3.4 will likely come out pretty quick. What if you run into a situation where you need to restore your iPad, but perhaps out of haste you click upgrade. Now you are stuck on the new firmware, that may not be able to be Jailbroken. Or perhaps you upgrade to 5.0 this fall, and after a month or so, you realize that some feature that you loved in previous firmwares is now gone. Well, if you don't backup and save your SHSH blobs, you would be without that feature you loved. Know what I'm sayin?
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

I know exactly what your sayin! I appreciate the information. I would like to back up my SHSH blob, but can't figure out how. I am on a PC (sorry, don't tell anyone else!! haha) and found something about altering a host file, but I was not successful. Do you have any insight on how to backup the SHSH blob? Also, is the backup done on my desktop PC or actually backed up to the iPad?

Thanks again!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Run latest tiny umbrella > Plug your idevice in > Click save shsh. It will be stored on your computer and Cydia as well.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5h4d0w's Avatar
    Thanks

You could also install iSHSHit from Cydia. It will backup your SHSH and has an option to email them to yourself. It works on the iPad 2 (I backed mine up this way).

Thanks for the reply. I emailed the blob to myself perfectly. One quick question, if I need to restore, how do I go out using the file I emailed to myself?

Thanks!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5h4d0w's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually, I couldn't tell you. I've never actually had to use blobs to restore
    I just back them up because everyone says to

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Run latest tiny umbrella > Plug your idevice in > Click save shsh. It will be stored on your computer and Cydia as well.
    Hey now I have jail broken my iPad 2 now how can I request from Cydia to save the SHSH blobs. Because I was not able to see my iPad 2 in TinyUmbrella earlier.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If you open up Cydia, the front page show you in Green Letters : shsh 4.3.3 , then it is already saved. If not run TU, plug ipad in and click save shsh. All future blob will be saved. As to how to use it, wait till you need to restore and we will teach you more , so don't worry about it now, one step at a time.

Hey guys, are you aware that you can't (currently) use iPad 2 3G blobs to restore to earlier firmware versions? It's the same with both Cydia and TU saved SHSHs. I only became aware of this yesterday but the iPad 2 3G is unique in some way (I can't recall the exact details) and at this stage, saved SHSH blobs won't help you. So when 4.3.4 comes out, for goodness sakes don't do a restore because you'll be forced to upgrade and will therefore lose the jailbreak. At least, that's where things stand as at today.

I'd still be saving blobs just in case a tool is developed that can somehow use them, but be aware that they're pretty much worthless right now. Apparently the iPad 2 WIFI model is fine....it's just the 3G model that's affected.
    Last edited by Maddcow; 2011-07-10 at 04:18 AM.