Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anyone get boot loop after MobileSubstrate update this morning?

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Yes, there is a fix. Are you still in a boot loop? If so, you can DFU restore. Hopefully you had your SHSH blobs stored either locally or on Sauriks server... If you want to restore to older firmware, and you have your SHSH's, just use TinyUmbrella, or follow the guide on Sauriks site to modify your hosts file.
    Thanks Imahottguy I have no problems in restoring my Iphone as I mentioned I did it many times and thats how I found out that it's the mobilesubstrate update with quickdo app which are causing the issue for me .. my question is there is an easy way to fix this issue without the restore option

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

afc2 wont work, you need to actually ssh using a ssh client

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    From the Twitter posts, If you have SHSH installed, quickly log-in, rename dir /Library/MobileSubstrate/ to something else, then reboot. I'm pretty sure you have a small time window (60 secs?) to do this. After it boots, rename it back to it's original name and either properly remove MS with Cydia or get an updated MS.
    I hope I had never seen the above suggestions.

But unfortunately, I saw and followed the instructions. Instead, I used iFunBox and successfully changed the name of /Library/MobileSubstrate (I added a "s" to the end since only very short time was allowed for the access). Then after shut down and turn on, guess what? It stayed at the white apple logo for some time, and then auto shut down and turn on, and then repeated without showing the booting loop (as before the change in the folder name). Now I totally lost the access to the phone. I guess now I have to restore the phone.

On a second thought after all this, I do think the way suggested by StealthBravo (modify /library/mobilesubstrate/dynamiclibraries instead of /library/mobilesubstrate) maybe work. But I have no chance to try again.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^riverlake .... You are correct --- and I appologize.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-25 at 08:36 AM.

Hi Mes,
    I think is because without MobileSubstrate, we are not able to SSH into the phone.
    Actually I have same issue also. I rename the MobileSubstrate to MobileSubstrate.old.
    And now seems like I'm not able to SSH into the phone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^wesley...... Thanks for your reply ... and I must appolgize to you also.

I was 100% sure my method worked, seriously! Thought I had done this many times before. So tried myself with a perfectly good and working 3GS. Now I'm in the same situation as you and riverlake (and away from my primary computer). Haven't found a solution yet (except DFU restore), but not ready to give up. It's not looking good at the moment

The one thing I do know, OpenSSH does not require MobileSubstrate. So I incorrectly assumed ssh would work even if MS did not load. There are so many low-level OS/jb details that only the true-experts know. One day I will know (ok, will know more haha), but this one --- I totally messed up.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-25 at 09:51 AM.

That's is my current problem.
    I really don't know should I restore the phone or use and old phone for temp. huh... sigh.......

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    ^riverlake .... You are correct --- and I appologize.
    That is OK. I did it at my own risk.

Just now I DFU restored my phone and meanwhile upgraded to 3.1.3 (previously 3.1.2 with a 2G iPhone...that is not bad )

Well...got lots of work to do now

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

While this temporary fix is no longer needed, I want to make it very clear so no one misunderstands.

As StealthBravo posted, it is safe to rename /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries or even move selected (or all) items from DynamicLibrary (SBSettings does this) using ssh.

It is NOT safe to rename the parent directory MobileSubstrate. Your device will not boot, ssh won't work, neither will 99% of the other utilities (via USB or wifi). Unless you're a forensic scientist, a restore will be required!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Yea its pretty hard to get it back after that. Unless you made a custom SSH ramdisk but more than likely you will need to restore.

IPHONE 3G BOOT LOOP MODE HELP!!!!!!!!? - Yahoo! Answers

read the 1st reply.. i'm trying it right now.. will post about the result after i'm done.. hope it'll work..

tried but it was an unsuccessful attempt for me..
    i guess i've no other option than restoring..
    Last edited by gaurav1802; 2010-11-28 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Smile These work for me
    These work for me:

With mi ipad in never ending apple boot, just run redsn0w_mac_0.9.6b4 and skip the TURN OFF step, just keep with the DFU process.

Your iDevice return to life in just 1 minute, !!!!!! http://modmyi.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Quote Originally Posted by nyemyets View Post
    These work for me:

With mi ipad in never ending apple boot, just run redsn0w_mac_0.9.6b4 and skip the TURN OFF step, just keep with the DFU process.

Your iDevice return to life in just 1 minute, !!!!!! http://modmyi.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
    I tried doing that with friends Ipad it didn't work can you just put the step by step instructions ..thanks

The problem is that redsn0w does not fix mobilesubstrate, though it may help if you messed Cydia up, and the device won't boot. Very rarely, if ever has rerunning redsn0w or other JB tools fixed a boot loop for me :/
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

I did an update yesterday and when I rebooted my iPad, it just stayed at the Apple logo. It just sits there for about 11 minutes and then it appears to reboot and do it again. It's not even showing up as a USB device in System Profiler. It's never connecting to the network so I can't SSH into it. I've even tried putting it in recovery mode and it won't do that! I think it may actually be bricked unless someone has any ideas.

I can assure you that it will go into DFU mode. Redsn0w actually takes you through the steps, and there are a lot of videos on the youtubez about how to get into DFU. I really doubt that you have a brick, :-)
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12