Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Erasing all content on a Jailbroken iPad - 3.2.1

Default Erasing all content on a Jailbroken iPad - 3.2.1
    I jailbroke a 3.2.1 iPad today with Spirit and decided to 'Erase all Content and Settings" from the device to test what would happen.

The device boots up but gets stuck at the Apple logo with pixelated LCD lines - they resemble the LCD lines in the white iMacs.

I think my SHSH blobs are still pending on Saurik's server cause TinyUmbrella says I'm unfortunately too late.

Anyone encounter this before?

Thanks

I'm stuck at the spot!!
    Best I can do besides the jailbroken boot screen is get into DFU mode or the restore screen (connect to itunes screen) have you had any luck solving this?
    Sent from my Apple Device
    Jayseepro

Unfortunately, no.

I edited my etc/host file and all that but without my SHSH stored on Cydia I'm out of luck - I was stuck on the bootscreen, DFU and restore mode too.

To get out of that loop would be to restore to 3.2.2 - I got stuck in restore mode and used blackra1n to kick it out (watched a YouTube tutorial).

There's a jailbreak released but it doesn't look to target iPads, so till then we wait.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lowengine For This Useful Post:

JayseePro (2010-09-22)

Thanks

Definitely feel your pain.
    I wish I could get that far.
    I can pick up a charge but iTunes/or computer won't detect the iPad at all (DFU mode, restore screen, boot screen, holding down on the home button when connecting ect...)

any suggestions on at least getting iTunes to detect it?
    Jayseepro

I remember having that same issue when locked in the bootscreen but once I got into restore mode it was fine.

I tried a variety of ways - getting the iPad into restore (or DFU) mode first before connecting it to the computer, or connecting it before.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

perform the steps like you are gonna put it in recovery that has worked for me everytime

Thanks

Thanks for the ideas guys.
    I tried both of those multiple times yesterday but had no luck! =/
    It's getting to the point where the iPad won't hold that long of a charge now is well (whether leaving it on the charger 10+ hours or just 15 minutes)

Maybe it's something hardware? Charger port?
    Does anyone know where the external water sensor(s) are located on the iPad wifi-only?
    Jayseepro

Thanks

It just hit me!
    So I'm looking for confirmation on this one.
    To properly go into DFU mode the device needs to be turned off first, correct?
    If that's the case, how do I turn off a bricked device (stuck at restore screen and/or boot screen) (since there is no slide to power feature)... i.e. the iPad to properly go into DFU mode?

Thanks in advance
    Jayseepro

To turn off a device that is stuck on the Apple logo (boot logo) hold both the home button and power buttons down together until the apple logo disappears.

To correctly get into DFU do this process while the ipad is plugged into your computer - once it has shut of release home and powder, then hold down home and power again but count for 10 seconds - then release power but keep holding home button until it is recognised as a device in recovery mode by iTunes.

And never reset all settings on a Jailbroken device, it removes files related to the jailbreak that are needed to boot - so you will always end up with a device that can not boot - with the only option being to restore.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

Thanks

Thanks man appreciate the directions.
    Sorry to keep asking so many questions but I still haven't found the trigger out of this loop.
    I know I flipped into DFU mode and iTunes still won't detect it.

1) any suggestions?
    2) would doing a "reset all settings" on a jailbroken device cause hardware damage?

Thanks in advance
    Jayseepro

If iTunes will not recognise the device then you should try a different USB cable, uninstall or reinstall iTunes, reboot the computer with the ipad connected to it - or is possible a different computer (preferably with a fresh clean install of iTunes)
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

No hardware damage is done by erasing all content, unless you consider the major headache associated with it, haha. Seriously though, different cables, different USB ports, different computers are all good suggestions, as mentioned above.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

So what happened. We are waiting!!

Thanks

Ah, apologies everyone. Between being sick and preparing for midterms I've been KO'd but greatly appreciate the suggestions still.

Currently, I i just did the clean uninstall (following the Apple support site) of iTunes and did a fresh install of iTunes. Restarted my mac after each. I've thrown it into both restore mode and dfu mode and still no detection or prompt from iTunes.

For reinsurance, if the iPad is consistently picking up and holding a charge (charging for 10 mins/charge lasting for 10 mins) then that would mean that the connector pins are working fine and it's just matter of "hit and miss" with this? or should I try investigating damage in the connector pins (as that was the original problem prior to the mistake of hitting "erase all content and settings"?
    Jayseepro

Did you ever get your iPad into DFU? I'm having the same exact problem and cannot restore. I'd hate to take it to the Genius' at the Apple store and them tell me they won't help because it looks like it was jailbroken (the little lines on the apple boot screen).

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Just FYI, I know this was the case in the past and it sounds like it's still relevant. 'Erasing All Content and Settings' will cause the endless Apple bootloop which is only resolved by a clean restore.

Sorry for the bad news...I did the same thing to my 3G a long time ago and that was the only solution. Maybe things have changed but it looks like they haven't. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

Thanks

@xemplify It took sometime but the boot screen stopped showing the distorted lines but still wouldn't boot back up. Took it into Apple and they swapped it out after trying to boot it themselves (restore mode/iTunes logo USB screen)
    All I can say is keep waiting it out, I let mine sit there for a month or so (biggest headache ever!!)
    do you think it's hardware or software?

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help much appreciated again!
    Jayseepro

Your issue was likely hardware related. I too had made the mistake, a long time ago lol, of hitting reset all content and settings. It sucked, and took forever to get back to where I had it. Charging issues, from my experience, typically tend to be hardware problems.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Thanks

That's what I had concluded it just made it so difficult to prove that w/Apple when I the jailbroken boot screen would appear lol.

I've been so hesitant to jailbreak any of my idevices since this fiasco.
    Would any1 say it's worth it to jailbreak iPad in general? (maybe not the current version given 4.2 is due to arrive on Nov-16 right?)
    Jayseepro

I absolutely love having my device jailbroken, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast