Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: texting on a 3G iPad?

Default texting on a 3G iPad?
    Since the 3G iPad with a data plan has an assigned cellular number, there ought to be some sort of solution to allow SMS (texting), if not MMS.

Any third-party apps out there already, or in the pipeline, to allow texts to be sent to and from an iPad? This would seem to be a great project for some great developer to add to Cydia.

I really hope in the future we can do this

My iPhone is a Part of Me Pronup's Avatar
    Thanks

I was wondering the same thing. I've been looking around the net and have not been able to find anything yet.

I believe that att disables txting on the ipad plans.. You can always use an app store app like textfree

Quote Originally Posted by liveify View Post
    I believe that att disables txting on the ipad plans.. You can always use an app store app like textfree
    There's always the txtdrop Web site, but it uses your email address for replies, and I think a lot of those App Store apps use your email address. Seems to me that the hackers who develop the jailbreak apps could find a way to use the iPad 3G's phone number and cellular data plan to send texts to and from that assigned phone number. But I'm way in over my head on the technology.

I'm sure the jailbreak community will make an app for this

Quote Originally Posted by hbelkins View Post
    There's always the txtdrop Web site, but it uses your email address for replies, and I think a lot of those App Store apps use your email address. Seems to me that the hackers who develop the jailbreak apps could find a way to use the iPad 3G's phone number and cellular data plan to send texts to and from that assigned phone number. But I'm way in over my head on the technology.
    Textfree unlimited gives you a phone number.. and uses that to text.. and it is on sale for free.. and I am pretty sure on a youtube video musclenerd said att disables txting on ipad plans.. so he had to use a tmobile prepaid simcard which did not have it disabled to test sending messages..

Quote Originally Posted by liveify View Post
    Textfree unlimited gives you a phone number.. and uses that to text.. and it is on sale for free.. and I am pretty sure on a youtube video musclenerd said att disables txting on ipad plans.. so he had to use a tmobile prepaid simcard which did not have it disabled to test sending messages..
    Yes, musclenerd did say that. This makes me think that it may be difficult for jailbreak devs to come up with an app that works on the iPad's micro sim. For this reason I'm considering buying a texting app from the App Store. Is textplus good?

They could come up with an app that works on non-att networks.. but I am not sure they will bother. I haven't tried textplus, I have tried textfree on the iphone just to try it out, I have unlimited texting on the family plan, but it seems to work

Why not just install google voice?

How will google voice help with sending and receiving texts?

it would be pretty hard to make a 3rd person app but an apple made app by at&t would be sick for texting, and would be amazing if it could be jailbroken and ale to be used on tmobile.

i use textfree works fine for me and the push notifications make it seem native also backgrounding the app helps the loading times

a native app would be great tho
    Last edited by jokerg7; 2010-06-25 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Added More

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jokerg7 For This Useful Post:

Redbeard46 (2010-06-29)

Would you be able to set up textfree to be the same number as say a Skype number?
    Photographer - ASYLUM(nsfw)

does anyone know if vodafone uk disables this?

I want to text on my Ipad too

ok, i finally get this now that I have an ipad 3g. I'm curious too. Is there ANYTHING we can hack together using this number assinged to the sim? Like, if I put it in an iphone and change the apn can I make calls maybe? dunno

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhodzy View Post
    does anyone know if vodafone uk disables this?
    In Portugal, i've heard Vodafone is blocking it in dedicated data plans for tablets, such as ipad. But there's is a way around it.
    Get a normal sim with voice and data that you dont really use....or a new one... and ask a new copy of it saying you want to use it in a factory unlocked iphone 4...they'll sell it to you cheap or even give it to you...you can use it on ipad.

No, you get a new number with TextFree. But it is awesome!