Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I don't need Jailbreak

Default I don't need Jailbreak
    I purchased an iPhone 3G, in Australia, from Optus.

Down Under, they do not lock the phones. After 3 weeks you are sent a code to legitimately unlock the phone.

This raises the question of what can I do to add third party app, if I did not jailbreak my phone?

Can I load cydia, and ultimately, winterboard through some other method?

As a matter of interest. Apple told me they can only repair my phone if there is a problem with my screen. They cannot replace it, except with a locked ATT version which is highly undesirable.

Thank you for your help.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It sounds as if you are confusing jailbreaking with unlocking.

jailbreak: Get apps on your iPhone that are not available in the iTunes Store. The equivalent of the iTunes Store is Cydia. Comes with the jailbreak.

unlock: Use SIM cards outside of the provider that has sold/given you the iPhone (Optus, in your case). That you don't need, since you have gotten some unlock code. Good for you to be in down under.

>>As a matter of interest. Apple told me they can only repair my phone if there is a problem with my screen. They cannot replace it, except with a locked ATT version which is highly undesirable.

Aha. Always to sides to a coin. Not good for you to be in down under, hm?

Thanks Maelcum,

I thought that Jailbreak was a hack for the phone which changed the built in lock from Apple. I also thought that Cydia loaded with Jailbreak?

Considering I have an unlocked phone, can cydia be added separately? I went to the cydia website, and download the application, however, the installer did not load the application

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You are still mixing up jailbreak and unlock.

I'll phrase it differently:
    If you want to use any other operator than Optus, the iPhone needs to be unlocked. In your case, this is not a problem, since you have the unlock code already, so your phone is unlocked. Forget everything that has to do with unlocking, you don't need it.

To get apps on your iPhone you'll either use the Apple iTunes Store or you jailbreak your iPhone and use Cydia. Since you could not use Cydia without a jailbreak, think of it as part of the jailbreak. There is no "Stand-Alone" Cydia. You wouldn't be able to get it on your machine, neither would it be able to install anything.
    So what you would want to do is jailbreak your iPhone.

In short: Not unlock But jailbreak.

Knowing that, here's the answer to your mail:
    > I thought that Jailbreak was a hack for the phone which changed the built in lock from Apple. I also thought that Cydia loaded with Jailbreak?
    Yes, jailbreak is a hack for the iPhone to be able to download apps not from iTunes Store.
    Yes, jailbreak and cydia are interwoven, one needs the other, so they always come as one package.

>Considering I have an unlocked phone, can cydia be added separately?
    No, since "unlock" and "jailbreak" are two entirely different things. You have an unlocked phone. You do not have a jailbroken phone. Latter you need.

> I went to the cydia website, and download the application, however, the installer did not load the application
    Huh? You cannot download cydia. There is no stand-alone version. Where did you go? Not cydia.com, I hope...
    You'll find Cydia installed on your phone once you've installed the jailbreak.