Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Confused with Installer.App/Jailbreak/Etc..

Default Confused with Installer.App/Jailbreak/Etc..
    Ive had the iPhone since launch and just today decided to start messing around with it, so yea another n00b here lol. I installed Installer.app by nullriver and understand how it works with installing/uninstalling stuff through the application. What i dont understand is how to manually transfer stuff via the comp to the iPhone. From what I underatand i have to ssh into it but to do this I have to jailbreak the iphone? Im just a little confused since there is like so many programs and summerboard and everything else, and yes i checked the wiki and howto's but am still confused. Just hoping for a little pointer in the right direction, thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You don't need to jailbreak if you already have installer app. Just install the BSD package, and the open ssh package and you can ssh, scp, or sftp into your phone and copy anything off or on that you would like. AppTapp from nullriver took care of the jailbreak, etc.. when it installed Installer.app on your phone. So all you need to know is the ip address of your phone. Then you login as root with passwd dottie and you are good to go.
    Of course you may want to change your root passwd once you are in a terminal window on your phone either via remote ssh in or running terminal.app from on the phone.

check the guides