Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Installer.app crashes

Question Installer.app crashes
    Ok so back in mid January, installer.app prompted me to make an upgrade to its latest version. At the time I was running 1.1.2 as I am now. After installing the upgrade, my installer quit working. It will open for 5 seconds to a white screen and crash to springboard. Since then, I have tried many times to fix it manually using both iphonebrowser and over ssh with winscp. I have tried both new and old versions of installer to no avail. All my prefs are set to 755. I have windows xp on the desktop if it matters. What can I possibly do to fix this? Its driving me nuts.

Same problem here Help please!!!

Thanks

Delete the RemotePackages.plist file in the Installer.app folder through FTP.
    Last edited by iFilipino; 2008-03-20 at 07:16 PM.
    Click that "Thanks" button if I helped you!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iFilipino For This Useful Post:

kiddoko (2008-03-27)

I used cyberduck to delete RemotePackages.plist file, but i'm still having the same issue. I reinstalled installer app but still crashes. Help please.

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

y dont you just restore and rejailbrake itz neva been easyier
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Thanks

Or you could do that...
    Click that "Thanks" button if I helped you!

Quote Originally Posted by iFilipino View Post
    Delete the RemotePackages.plist file in the Installer.app folder through FTP.
    I just wanted to say thanks!!! I was having a similar problem with Installer. I downloaded a new source that obviously was too much for my Installer (WAY too many sources added and doubled & TRIPLED sources already installed). After it downloaded then refreshed it said there was an update to Installer which was wrong because It was an older Installer version (v3.0). But then Installer crashed to Springboard. Then it refused to open showing a white screen then crashing continuously to Springboard.

I did a search on here, found this post thank goodness, tried it and after about 2 tries my Installer was back to normal. I used Mobile Finder to delete that plist file with no problem. Then I had to manually delete all the junk sources that was added by that Installer source. Top it all off the main source that I used to install all the other sources didn't even show up in my uninstall sources list. That's why I had to manually delete each one. I kept only a handful of what was added.

Anyway sorry to ramble on. I'm just happy my Installer is back to normal and I wanted to say thanks!
    Big kid playing with iPhone! Learning as I go...

ive already deleted the remote packages.plist and trustsources.plist and restarted the iphone (1.1.1) and its still not working. it goes to a white screen for 1 sec and then goes back to the main menu. need help badly.

I looked in my installer.app and couldn't find the remotepackages.plist file... is it supposed to be found in Applications/Installer.app? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kiddoko View Post
    I just wanted to say thanks!!! I was having a similar problem with Installer. I downloaded a new source that obviously was too much for my Installer (WAY too many sources added and doubled & TRIPLED sources already installed). After it downloaded then refreshed it said there was an update to Installer which was wrong because It was an older Installer version (v3.0). But then Installer crashed to Springboard. Then it refused to open showing a white screen then crashing continuously to Springboard.

I did a search on here, found this post thank goodness, tried it and after about 2 tries my Installer was back to normal. I used Mobile Finder to delete that plist file with no problem. Then I had to manually delete all the junk sources that was added by that Installer source. Top it all off the main source that I used to install all the other sources didn't even show up in my uninstall sources list. That's why I had to manually delete each one. I kept only a handful of what was added.

Anyway sorry to ramble on. I'm just happy my Installer is back to normal and I wanted to say thanks!

I have the same problem. Every time I try and add a new source, it crashes. I really need to do this to finish the 1.13 update (my phone crashed and I had to start over). I tried to do what you did. I deleted the file, then I deleted all of the sources manually, but it still doesnt work. Anyone have any ideas!?!

Thank you so much

Wow! It appears that it crashes to springboard when I go to SMS or safari as well. Please help!
    Last edited by funkdaddyj; 2008-04-15 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default remotepackages.plst location
    /private/var/mobile/Library/Installer