View Poll Results: will you continue to use the installer app or update to the sdk firmware

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will continue to use the installer app if apple charges for apps

77 35.98%
  • I will update to the sdk firmware even if Apple charges for apps

18 8.41%
  • I will wait to see what the development community says to do

55 25.70%
  • I will update to the sdk firmware after the dev community finds a jailbreak for it

136 63.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: installer vs. sdk

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Question installer vs. sdk
    who do you think will have better apps the sdk or the installer app after a few weeks for the installer developers to fool around with the sanctioned itunes apps and the reasonable assumption that apple will charge your first born child for apps via itunes i wouldnt jump at the sdk / firmware update at first sight i think i'll stick it out with the installer community apple is just trying to copy their popularity except they are probably going to try to cash in on it current developers i will continue to support you how about you
    Support the installer community they have been there since day one apples sdk app is just trying to mimick the installers popularity but for a price ill bet

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Reply
    I think I'll stick it out on Installer.app for a while. Knowing the way Apple does things, their SDK apps will probably be buggy and not offer a wide selection for the first few months. Also, there's no telling if we'll be able to get our favorite apps onto the new SDK. snes4iphone, gpsPhone, and others might not be able to make it onto the new platform. It all really depends how open they make the SDK. If they make it just like osx, where anyone can write any application they want, it will be great. However, if they decide to restrict access to apps through their service, it might not be such a great thing. If that turns out to be the case, I'll be sticking with my Jailbroken phone with Installer.app. Its also likely that any new app that comes out for the new SDK can be replicated for installer app in due time, or ported entirely. I have no doubt that Installer app will be able to provide us with want we want. Maybe it'll even provide competition to apple to create even more killer apps? I think the iphone has a long a grand future ahead of it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to desepticon For This Useful Post:

justinwayne (2008-02-19)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i could not agree with you more hopefully poetic folly and cash will grace this thread with a reply of their iphone wisdom possibly make this poll sticky
    Support the installer community they have been there since day one apples sdk app is just trying to mimick the installers popularity but for a price ill bet

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i could not agree with you more hopefully poetic folly and cash will grace this thread with a reply of their iphone wisdom possibly make this poll sticky

calling all iphone owners tell the installer community how much you appreciate them post in this poll and for god sakes donate theese app dont make themselves
    Last edited by justinwayne; 2008-02-19 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me m3thodandr3d's Avatar
    Thanks

lets face it guys, the sdk is going to be a big flop. apple is going to let you write your own applications but, we will never see gpsphone or snes4iphone on it. as most of you know, those app's are illegal, because i doubt everyone dumps their own bios . So who ever likes all the cool apps we have, donate because we will not get most all of them on the sdk. If apple just allowed us to write our own software without them approving it before you can put it on your phone, then that would open up more opportunities for unlocks and hacks. I highly doubt apple is going to let us openly write apps and just put them on the phone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to m3thodandr3d For This Useful Post:

justinwayne (2008-02-19)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    once again i am in total agreance you hit the nail on the head keep the posts coming let the installer community know we wont desert them for apples lame sdk i would much rather donate to them for development of cool apps than pay apple for their sanctioned jailbound applications

attention moderators/webmasters please can you help make this poll sticky im not sure how to do this
    P.S. thank all of you for your modding and hacking help and support keep up the good work

attention moderators/webmasters please can you help make this poll sticky im not sure how to do this
    P.S. thank all of you for your modding and hacking help and support keep up the good work
    Last edited by justinwayne; 2008-02-19 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'll stick with installer until devs figure out how to digitally sign the apps and installer isn't needed any longer.

Thanks

My feeling is that not only will Apple charge for apps, but ATT (those of us on the service) will end up charging usage fees. Not sure exactly what they are doing now since I have been modding for so long but I recall seeing fees like $3.99/month for this service or that (for example traffic reporting) which I resent since I do not use them regularly, but when I want the service I want it. The main reason I started modding my old V3i so I could use Opera mini and use the web the way I wanted to. I also think they will charge for themes and the like as well so for those into skinning- can't beat the current system.

I love my 3rd party apps! I many not use all of the ones I have downloaded often, but they are invaluable when I do want to use them. Some I use constantly. Its all about freedom of choice and not being nickled and dimed and handed a dumbed down version.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

justinwayne (2008-02-19)

Thanks

I don't understand why they just couldn't make it open. The iPhone is essentially a mini-computer that makes phone calls. Restricting the capabilities of the iPhone seems to go against Apple's philosophy of producing the most cutting edge products out there. I know Steve Jobs likes things to be as minimalist as possible but their should be the option to use the capabilities of the phone to the max. Also, I don't think emulators like gpsPhone are illegal, just downloading the roms for it. I mean, does Apple go after the people who make snes9x for OSX, and prevent their program from working?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to desepticon For This Useful Post:

justinwayne (2008-02-19)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    tjhank you for your post can any of you make thos thread sticky so it is not lost to page 2 and 3 thanks for your help and contributions im sure the developers will see his post and continue to strive for excalent apps thank you all

i just read though my posts and i guess i should turn the autocorrection back on eh . lol
    Last edited by justinwayne; 2008-02-20 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I will most likely use both. There are some great apps in the installer but I bet some apps written with the official SDK will be hard to duplicate without just totally ripping off the code which isn't right. Just like my computer I like open software and software that I pay for. There is nothing wrong with paying for good software.

Thanks

but they shouldn't force developers to charge a fee. Theres aways been commercial software and theres always been free software. It should be up to the developer too how he wants to distribute a program

Definately installer.app until 1.1.4 can be unlocked!

Once i know what programs, cost, and if they work as well as Installer.app, then we'll see. No way in knowing until it actually comes outs.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    look like the installer communitg is way ahead of apples sdk in the poll whats your opinion

When is the release date for SDK?

DeadGlory

Green Apple
    Thanks
    it is supposidly going to be released feb. 26 th but that is just a rumor

Quote Originally Posted by justinwayne View Post
    who do you think will have better apps the sdk or the installer app after a few weeks for the installer developers to fool around with the sanctioned itunes apps and the reasonable assumption that apple will charge your first born child for apps via itunes i wouldnt jump at the sdk / firmware update at first sight i think i'll stick it out with the installer community apple is just trying to copy their popularity except they are probably going to try to cash in on it current developers i will continue to support you how about you
    I believe I'll be doing the update no matter what apple charges. I also believe strongly in punctuation. Punctuation is awesome. Period.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    well Lostprophet i see you are from Virginia I used to live there as well but fortunatly i moved and do not have to deal with people like you or use punctuations and i will not ditch the installer app for the apple sdk thanks for your post. period

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

i will most likely update to the new firmware when it comes out but wont till they jailbreak it.
    also living in australia i doubt we will get the sdk we havnt even got movies yet or tv shows
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast