Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Installer Main Scrip Exec Failed

Green Apple
    Thanks

Exclamation Installer Main Scrip Exec Failed
    Installer keeps giving me this problem... Doesn't matter 1.1.1, 1.1.2 or 1.1.3.

How do i fix thids?

Quote Originally Posted by teomabanta View Post
    Installer keeps giving me this problem... Doesn't matter 1.1.1, 1.1.2 or 1.1.3.

How do i fix thids?
    i had a same problem when i upgraded from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3

the reason why it is doing this is because installer is not recognizing where the application folder really is

there are few ways to fix it

try this
    ssh into your iPhone using Terminal

Code:
    cd /
    cd Applications/
    wget http://repository.apptapp.com/packages/System/Installer.zip
    rm -rf Installer.app
    unzip Installer.zip
    chmod +s Installer.app/Installer
    chown -R root:wheel Installer.app
    rm Installer.zip
    this should reinstall your Installer App and set the right permissions

if that don't work you can try

going into the installer, go into uninstall and select installer app and top right corner click reinstall

you can also try

In my case the failure was due to the 'mobile' user not being able to extract files to /Applications. By default the folder had 755 permissions which resulted in a no permission failure by Installer. When I changed permissions to 777 I still couldn't extract to the folder due to an out of space error even though I had enough space, very odd. To fix it I created a new Applications folder at /private/var/mobile/Applications and created a softlink at /Applications. This is similar to what the BossTool does.

Use the following commands at your own risk. It worked for me but I can't make any guarantees that it will work for you.

Connect to your phone using ssh (putty works on windows) then execute the following commands.

mkdir /private/var/mobile/Applications
    chown mobile:mobile /private/var/mobile/Applications
    cp -r /Applications/* /private/var/mobile/Applications
    mv /Applications /Applications.old
    ln -s /private/var/mobile/Applications /Applications

Verify your phone and apps are working correctly. If installer and other apps are working then execute the final step.

rm -rf /Applications.old

The step above deletes your original Applications directory and frees space in your OS partition.

Certain applications will not install because they attempt to use /private/root/Media. These apps need to be updated for 1.1.3 but for now you can work around it with the following command. It gives the mobile user permission to use the root user's Media folder.

chmod 777 /private/var/root/Media
    i got the above from a thread here on modmyi.com

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28875

seems to have worked for few people

my problem was fixed just by reinstalling installer app, but i then figured since there is going to be so much junk on there iPhone i better start clean, so i just put by iPhone in DFU mode, restored it back to firmware 1.1.1, did jailbreak on it, upgraded it to firmware 1.1.2, did jailbreak on it, upgraded it to firmware 1.1.3 (soft update) and it was already unlocked since restoring didn't change the baseband and everything is working like a charm

When you say "Put it in DFU mode" did you manually do it? or did you use the program that came with iBrickr?

iPhone? More like MyPhone chris52204's Avatar
    Thanks

I have tried this many times. I still can't figure out why it keeps giving me that main script execution failed. For those who have tried this and it didn't work have you found another way?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I already know this method, but the place I unlock my phone doesn't let SSH connections........

Is there anyway I can do this w/out the SSH?

Quote Originally Posted by teomabanta View Post
    I already know this method, but the place I unlock my phone doesn't let SSH connections........

Is there anyway I can do this w/out the SSH?
    have you tried reinstalling installer application by going into installer it's self

i don't know any other way unless u wanna start fresh

Quote Originally Posted by BenJaymin View Post
    When you say "Put it in DFU mode" did you manually do it? or did you use the program that came with iBrickr?
    yes i did it manually by holding power + home for about 10 seconds then home for 10 seconds and when connected to iTunes it said it has found iPhone in Recovery Mode

now, iBricker will do the job
    as well as Independence (friend of mine used Independence to put his iPhone in DFU mode and it work like a charm for him since manually it wasn't doing it)
    Last edited by Croatian; 2008-02-10 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone chris52204's Avatar
    Thanks

you shouldn't have this problem if you do a full restore back to 1.1.1. After the 1.1.1 restore...oktoprep to 1.1.2 and jailbreaking using the touchless jailbreak method. Then use the dev teams official upgrade to upgrade to 1.1.3 which should fix this. I have been having the same problem. I had redid my phone at least 20 times before I figured this out. There are a few more things to install like bsdsystems, but these steps are the important steps to followl. hope this helps.