Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help: Installer error; main script execution failed!

Default Help: Installer error; main script execution failed!
    Anyone seen this? Everytime I try to install anything with installer app i get this error.(main script execution failed!)
    Occasionally installer just crashes back to home screen.
    Tried to reinstall installer and get same error. any ideas? I am running unlocked 1.1.3 jailbroken by the way.
    Last edited by randomhero73; 2008-02-08 at 04:05 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone chris52204's Avatar
    Thanks

I am having the same problem. Working on a fix right now. Once i figure it out I will let ya know.

Here's the fix (TESTED - GOOD!):

For anyone wondering oh to get access your iphones ssh on mac

Open Terminal
    type ssh [email protected]’S IP ADDRESS
    hit enter
    enter password (will appear invisible, but it’s there!)
    hit enter

then start… do each line separately, followed by hitting enter.

cd /
    cd Applications/
    wget http://repository.apptapp.com/packag.../Installer.zip
    rm -rf Installer.app
    unzip Installer.zip
    chmod +s Installer.app/Installer
    chown -R root:wheel Installer.app
    rm Installer.zip

Hope this helps out someone!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveHavok For This Useful Post:

drogie (2008-02-09)

iPhone? More like MyPhone chris52204's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok heres a solution that fix this problem i was having. I was getting this error because I didn't use the official dev teams 1.1.3 upgrade. I used the other upgrade from 1.1.1 straight to 1.1.3 and it kept giving me this error. If you did the same thing I recommend downgrading to 1.1.1, then upgrading to 1.1.2 using oktoprep, then upgrade using "Official upgrade" by the dev team to 1.1.3. Also if you have trouble upgrading to 1.1.2 and get an error, then upgrade your itunes to the newest version and it should fix that too. I kept getting an error when trying to update to 1.1.2 and that is why i jumped from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3, which I recommend not doing or else you get this main script execution error.
    Last edited by chris52204; 2008-02-10 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned
    Thanks

One thing that worked for me was a complete restore to 1.02 and then I worked my way upto to 1.1.2 unlocked. I know its the long way, but I perfer to have a clean install when things get messed up like this.

I get the same problem message but when i try your solution I get this (otherwise the iPhone works fine). Any idea how I resolve this and create the directory structure?

-sh-3.2# cd Applications
    -sh: cd: Applications: No such file or directory
    -sh-3.2# ls
    -sh: ls: command not found
    -sh-3.2# wget
    -sh: wget: command not found
    -sh-3.2#

All of the commands that you need to use such as chmod, chown, wget, etc are a part of the BSD subsystem. Well since installer isn't working, it is rather difficult to install it. I figured out that if you download the subsystem files, you can use Cyberduck or something to transfer the files from the bin and sbin folder into the bin and sbin folders on the iphone. After you do this you can use all the ssh commands.

e.g. I copied the chown file from the BSD subsystem folder to the sbin folder of the Iphone, which made it available for use via terminal ssh.

It was all pointless though because I did all this chmod +s nonsense and it doesn't work. My iphone is new with 1.1.4 + independence etc.