Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Creating More Space For Installer/3rd Party Apps

Default Creating More Space For Installer/3rd Party Apps
    Has anyone figured out how to create more space for installer and 3rd party apps. Since I've upgraded to 1.1.1 it keeps asking me to delete photos and music. I've been able to link my phone with Fugu but not quite sure where to go from there.
    BTW im using a Intel Mac

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noosphere View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to create more space for installer and 3rd party apps. Since I've upgraded to 1.1.1 it keeps asking me to delete photos and music. I've been able to link my phone with Fugu but not quite sure where to go from there.
    BTW im using a Intel Mac
    The Apps themselves are stored in restricted memory which is set aside for the Operating System, there's 128 MB set aside for this. The rest of the data (preferences, images, dictionary databases, etc) are stored in the same memory that your Music and Videos use. So if you want to use lots of Third Party Apps, you're going to need to sacrifice some tunes.

That's weird because I dont have much in the way of music or pictures on my phone. It's a 4g phone and I have 2.8 gb free. I'm guessing the the "other" portion is for the OS and that only has 118 mbs in it. I'll try and delete some things to see if it changes.

Check this out from Here:

MoveApps
    HOW-TO: Get around the application space limit your Touch (or iPhone)!
    Instructions
    Executing the commands below will remove your application space limitation so that you're only limited by the device's drive.. Your apps will share the same space available to your media files. The approach is to create a symbolic link to the Application folder and move the actual folder to the media partition.

NOTE: This guide assumes you have jailbreaked your iPod touch (or iPhone) and installed the necessary Unix binaries, either manually or by using some sort of semi-automated/automated jailbreak method.

WARNING: Although this seems to work just as intended, it's not been tested for more than a number of hours, meaning that it's entirely possible it could somehow break in the future. Therefore, only do this at your own risk!

1) SSH into your iPod touch (or iPhone) using the SSH client of your choice; I recommend putty, which you can download here.

2) Move your applications folder to the /private/var folder by typing the following:

mv /Applications /private/var/Applications3) Change directory to / by typing

cd /4) Create a symbolic link to the Applications folder's new location:

ln -s /private/var/Applications Applications5) Type the following to get a directory list of /, so we can make sure the symbolic link was created correctly:

ls -laIn the list that comes up, you should have an entry similar to this one:

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 25 Oct 12 22:31 Applications -> /private/var/Applications6) Alright, seems like it worked.. Now all you have to do is reboot your iPod touch (or iPhone)! Do that now.

7) To further make sure it's working correctly for you, enter the Installer app and check the available space at the bottom. It should be higher than it was previously, as you've moved away all space-intensive apps. Try installing an app larger than 1MB (MobileChat for example) to see that the amount of available space stays the same.

8) Done! Install away!

Guide originally found here.

Comment by gamempire, Oct 20 (2 days ago)
    I've noticed when creating a symbolic link on the iPhone for the Applications, if I use mv to move the apps to /private/var/Applications and then reboot the phone, applications will not start.

To fix this, just cp -r /Applications /private/var/Applications and then rm -fr /Applications . Then create the symbolic link as usual.

Comment by carbonide, Yesterday (31 hours ago)
    You'll have to remove the NOEXEC flag from /etc/fstab to be able to launch applications after this manipulation.
    Last edited by amnesia; 2007-10-22 at 07:26 PM. Reason: removed code tags
    Main Phone: 2.0 / AT&T
    Test Phone: sold

Don't forget to thank me

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    The Apps themselves are stored in restricted memory which is set aside for the Operating System, there's 128 MB set aside for this. The rest of the data (preferences, images, dictionary databases, etc) are stored in the same memory that your Music and Videos use. So if you want to use lots of Third Party Apps, you're going to need to sacrifice some tunes.
    Hi, can you clarify what you said.

You mentioned:

1) that 128MB is set aside for the operating system and apps
    2) the rest of the space are for Music/Videos and data(preferences, images, dictionary databases, etc)

so.. if i want more apps, why do i clear more tunes in (2) when apps are installed in (1)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peeInMyPantz View Post
    Hi, can you clarify what you said.

You mentioned:

1) that 128MB is set aside for the operating system and apps
    2) the rest of the space are for Music/Videos and data(preferences, images, dictionary databases, etc)

so.. if i want more apps, why do i clear more tunes in (2) when apps are installed in (1)
    Because only the Apps themselves are placed in (1). Their preferences, data, libraries and all other stuff are stored in (2) - your root library folder. For instance, if you install WeDict, the program is placed in (1), all of the dicitionaries you download for it however will be stored in (2). If you install Customize, the App itself goes to (1), all the pictures and sound bytes for it, go to (2)... follow?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Because only the Apps themselves are placed in (1). Their preferences, data, libraries and all other stuff are stored in (2) - your root library folder. For instance, if you install WeDict, the program is placed in (1), all of the dicitionaries you download for it however will be stored in (2). If you install Customize, the App itself goes to (1), all the pictures and sound bytes for it, go to (2)... follow?
    yup... i understand that part. but clearing music and videos will still not make space for more apps.

anyway.. i think i understand how this works now. thanx

Thanks

I guess I should have worded that more precisely. You need to make space, because the more Apps you install, the more space you're going to need in (2) for the extras.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

I use a Intel Mac...I deleted my bookmarks plist and created another.. Since I restored my phone and used the jailbreak me/ appsnap method with wifi and haven't had a problem since. I just received a software update from apple.... iTunes 7.5 and rejected of course. I have no reason to upgrade to 1.1.2. It just does'nt seem stable enough yet to do so. Have you had any luck with the new iTunes.
    I also have other issues non-related to the phone. Who out there is using airport extreme? If so.. Have you had random disconnect problems?
    I bought my girlfriend airport extreme and she has no problems whatsoever. Set it up.. Never disconnects. I'm not sure if it's a intel software problem or firmware.
    Any thoughts?