Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: installer crashes

Default installer crashes
    when i press on the installer it opens up and immediately closes .. i mean like crashes down
    what could be the problem ? and how to fix it ?

Maybe that's a permissions issue. Try the BossPrefs option "Fix User Permissions". Also you can reinstall the installer following the steps of the #8 post in that thread: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117

(sorry for my siouxglish) ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    Maybe that's a permissions issue. Try the BossPrefs option "Fix User Permissions". Also you can reinstall the installer following the steps of the #8 post in that thread: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117

(sorry for my siouxglish) ;-)

Listen its not just the installer I have found that if I upload from my computer like puzzle maniak to the /applications it doesn't work either i mean I click on it and opens 8-9 seconds and closes to the home screen (only new softwares that I uplode/install the old ones work fine)
    so what could be ???

Thing about what have you do before the first crash. Look also if you have the last version of BSDSubsystem (2.1), but I will insist on the permissions issue.

k tried the permision thing no luck... And ithink ihave BCD v2 does it matter ??

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    Thing about what have you do before the first crash. Look also if you have the last version of BSDSubsystem (2.1), but I will insist on the permissions issue.
    No... correction: BSD v2.1 LOL
    so any other ideas
    Last edited by sjxj988; 2008-04-16 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

How about delete the Installer preferences? Deleting respective prefs has ever fixed all my crashing apps (my Installer never crashes before). First do a backup of the .plist. Prefs are in var/mobile/Library/Preferences.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sjxj988 View Post
    Listen its not just the installer I have found that if I upload from my computer like puzzle maniak to the /applications it doesn't work either i mean I click on it and opens 8-9 seconds and closes to the home screen (only new softwares that I uplode/install the old ones work fine)
    so what could be ???
    you probably didn't set the proper permissions for puzzle maniak as yul had mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by jtesnani View Post
    you probably didn't set the proper permissions for puzzle maniak as yul had mentioned
    Ok I will try ..but how to do back up and what to back up??

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

what do you mean back up? as in back up your phone prior to doing a restore?

I don't know someone asked me to back up the .plist before I delete the presences of the installer cuz it crashes so I don't know how and why if it helps in anyway...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

he's telling you to delete the installer Preferences plist. it's a file on your phone. but since you're having problems with your phone I'm going to guess that you do NOT have ssh installed? do you use a pc? if so, you can use iphonebrowser and connect to it using the usb cord and navigate to the file he mentioned

I have an ssh bbut does it help to delete that file (and what do I need to back up ?and where to find it?)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you need ssh in order to connect wirelessly to your phone from your pc to access your phone's directory. back up the file you're deleting. you find it in the path it's given

let me find instructions on ssh unless you know how to use it.

http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/SSH_on_Windows
    Last edited by jtesnani; 2008-04-16 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ok i know how to use the ssh but is it safe to delete the preferences of the installer ? and where is this .plist file ??

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yul already told you where it is:
    "How about delete the Installer preferences? Deleting respective prefs has ever fixed all my crashing apps (my Installer never crashes before). First do a backup of the .plist. Prefs are in var/mobile/Library/Preferences"

and that's why he's telling you to back up the file prior to deleting, so if it doesn't work, you can just put it back in

look man i did as he said didn't work .. damnnn the installer still crasheszz i dont know what to do .. !!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i don't know then. perhaps a restore is in order but i know you're not the only person that's encountered this problem. I've read a couple of posts similar to this

Quote Originally Posted by jtesnani View Post
    i don't know then. perhaps a restore is in order but i know you're not the only person that's encountered this problem. I've read a couple of posts similar to this
    Dunno if I restore I have to jailbreak it and all that hell of a mess ...dunno there must be a way

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i'm sure there is. do a search and see if anyone else has found a way