Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iLiberty jailbreak problems (1.1.4)

Default iLiberty jailbreak problems (1.1.4)
    Hi, I have recently used iLiberty to jailbreak my iPhone (firmware version 1.1.4). I am having some problems and have a few questions.

First, I installed Cydia when jailbreaking the phone - I did not see an option to add Installer, even under the Advanced tab (am I missing something?). Is it possible to run both Cydia and Installer at the same time? If so, is there a way to add Installer now, after I've finished the jailbreak process?

Currently when attempting to get mail or change mail account information, I get the error message: "Cannot Get Mail - The user name or password for 'imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com' is incorrect." This is with multiple mail accounts where the same username and password works on the computer. I have searched here and found several solutions for this. One solution is to run SyncFix - unfortunately I cannot install SyncFix as I don't have Installer, and Cydia can't connect to the iClarified source.

Another fix was to connect via SSH and change the ownership of certain directories - I installed OpenSSH and did this without issue, both the chown command and the chmod command that I have found here. Neither solved my issue. However, that did raise the question, one that I can't find an answer to - with Cydia installed, what steps are necessary for me to be able to change the root password without having problems?

Finally, is there a tutorial out there somewhere that can help me understand how to manually manage SMS, call history, and all the other stuff I would want to back up and save, under Windows? I would like to back all of that up so that I can restore and set the iPhone up as a new phone, if necessary.

Thank you for all your help!

-Brian

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I will field the first question. Launch iLiberty.. go into the advanced tab. There will be 3 tabs at the bottom (Selected payloads, Local, and Available on repo). Go to local or available and select or download the installer payload.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I will field the first question. Launch iLiberty.. go into the advanced tab. There will be 3 tabs at the bottom (Selected payloads, Local, and Available on repo). Go to local or available and select or download the installer payload.
    Thanks - I have done that, but can't find an option for the installer payload. There are only 5 local options, none of them are installer.

Do I have to do this from scratch?

Also, I am running iLiberty+ it seems, does that make a difference?

Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I say start over from scratch, because IMHO Cydia sucks...installer is better. And from what I'm guessing you used iliberty+ 1.3, which doesn't give you a option to install installer only cydia... So use a older version of iliberty+, you can download it here. Just choose to download iliberty+ for windows. http://theiphoneproject.org/index.php/downloads

Just choose all the options you need/want, Then "go for it"!

Now I haven't tried this yet..since I don't got a iphone yet...but yeah IMHO this should work. Also if it does work(which Im sure it will) drop me a pm. Would really like to know if this worked for you, so I can use this "way" aswell when I get my iphone. Hope this helps.

BTW I think this version of ilberty+ that I gave you a link to download is the version before 1.3..since it says 1.2..

*NOTE* Do not upgrade to the latest version of iliberty+ when you first open the program. Because when you open it you'll get a option to upgrade to 1.3..just don't do it. Or you will have to download ilberty+ over again..

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xettexl For This Useful Post:

bilekbp (2008-05-15), sbfleming (2008-05-15)

Thanks for all the help!

Does anyone know if I can have Cydia and Installer installed at the same time, and if so, how I would go about it?

Otherwise, to reverse what I have done, do I have to restore from factory default?

Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by bilekbp View Post
    Thanks for all the help!

Does anyone know if I can have Cydia and Installer installed at the same time, and if so, how I would go about it?

Otherwise, to reverse what I have done, do I have to restore from factory default?

Thank you again!
    Yes, you can have cydia and installer at the same time. I am a big cydia fan. Saurik is doing good stuff with cydia and will only get better.

get the installer.app and install it through ssh. simple as that.
    Or... click the 3rd tab at the bottom of the advanced tab and select installer for downloading from the repo :/

Quote Originally Posted by bilekbp View Post
    Thanks - I have done that, but can't find an option for the installer payload. There are only 5 local options, none of them are installer.

Do I have to do this from scratch?

Also, I am running iLiberty+ it seems, does that make a difference?

Thanks!
    I just re-installed Cydia yesterday from Iliberty version 1.3.0. Once you download Cydia then open on the iPhone you should get the message that you are running a really old version of Cydia...it gives you instructions on how to upgrade...follow them completely. Cydia now has "installer" as a package download. If you prefer not to load Cydia then open iLiberty, at the top select tools & make sure the boxes are checked (check updates at startup, Check Repo at startup), close iLiberty & reopen. Click the advanced tab & then click "Local Payloads" at the bottom, scroll thru until you find Installer & check the box. If it's not there check "available on repo". I found Installer in "Local Payloads". Close Itunes if opened & then select "go for it". One more thing make sure before you start that you set your device to "never" turn off.

Hope that helps.