Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Issues with Winpwn/iLiberty or just myself? 1.1.4

Default Issues with Winpwn/iLiberty or just myself? 1.1.4
    well... Im not sure where to start. I got the KAte program before I saw threads on issues but not after I noticed a few glitches so I decided to play it safe and reboot... I tried Winpwn first. all went well, I forgot to put installer on it...so I restored and ran winpwn again... all went well I went to bem next day phone would not respond to touch and when it did it would just lock up. So I figure winpwn is junk, and I try Ilibertym eventually, samme thing, locks up and unresponsive. Now after each of these I changed some modded files like Wifi, Signal and re inserted my ROMs and phone numbers.
    Yesterday, I did just a DFU restore. winpwn and did not mod any files or insert anything except thru installer and cydia. Everything went well all day so I put my #'s and Roms and just a few small things and all still held...
    Now Today.... I needed write access to my ROMS
    I did the chown -hR root var/mobile/Media/ROMs and also typod a chown -R root /var into it. Is there a diff if you do chown -R or chown -hR? also I find root works for me, not mobile.
    I couldnt get write access to my ROM files so I went thru Winscp and did it again. it worked... I restarted the phone and now unresponsive again.... and now another DFU restore.....
    I know there isnt much you can tell me without me telling you but any suggestions on what may be happening? Winpwn seems to be good and I installed thru iclarrified so I had no issues along the way,

much appreciate any help

Also, with Winpwn is it normal to get a "iPhone is activated" or the dismiss home screen whenever you turn phone on?
    Last edited by Kiros76; 2008-05-14 at 04:45 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

First of all.. Pwning your phone does nothing other than replace the Bootloader. If you're having problems after the phone boots up it has nothing to do with Winpwn. Secondly... after all of your restores make sure you are setting the phone up as NEW in Itunes, not from back-up to avoid code conflicts. You will only get "iphone is activated" the first time and "dismiss home screen" the first time your phone boots up. After this they won't ever appear again.

WinSCP is always the best program to use to go in and change permissions on your folders rather than using terminal in my opinion.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    "chown -R root /var" = shooting yourself in the foot.

It's, uh, kinda hard for every single application you have running on your iPhone to write to files owned by root, when they are all running as mobile.

Hence, freezes. I don't see why you didn't make the connection that right after you did that, the problems started. :P

The -h flag means to change permissions on links rather than the files pointed to by the links. Not really the issue you're facing though.

Quote Originally Posted by planetbeing View Post
    "chown -R root /var" = shooting yourself in the foot.

It's, uh, kinda hard for every single application you have running on your iPhone to write to files owned by root, when they are all running as mobile.

Hence, freezes. I don't see why you didn't make the connection that right after you did that, the problems started. :P

The -h flag means to change permissions on links rather than the files pointed to by the links. Not really the issue you're facing though.
    Thank you for breaking that down to lamens(sp?) terms. I had a feeling it had something to do with that but I am still very new here. I searched forums for solution and came up with 2-3 diff chown commands to fix nes save issues, i have the right one now and works. Its been 4 days of failed attempts and they don't all happen from the chown command. Seems I am either being dumb or something wasn't meshing right. I understand what you say and did do that so that explains that part. I think I'm good now, as everything is running w/winpwn. I did not insert my phone number file for fear it may have been the corrupt file?
    Thank you for the help