Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 5 power button replacement

Default iphone 5 power button replacement
    Hi guys,

So I have been away for a while. I remember I used to read a lot when I was thinking of modding my iPhone 4.

Anyway, I need to replace the power button on my iphone 5 and I can't find a good site with a nice tutorial and good links for the part. I figured you guys could help me with this.

I got my phone as an insurance replacement and apple refuses to work on it because it has aftermarket case apparently (they would have fixed it for free).

So I need some guidance please because a local repair shop quoted me $75 for the power button replacement.

Also, I have a crack in the case back where the camera lens is and would like to replace it. I see there are a lot of aftermarket colors to choose from now. What's the best one to get and how straight forward is it to replace? I remember certain cases for the iPhone 4 reduced reception quality. Is this still the case for the iPhone 5 cases?

Would really appreciate some help and sorry for the long post.

Green Apple
    Thanks

www.ifixit.com
    Tutorials and you can even buy parts for them. I replaced the black button on mine, but I should have replaced the whole ribbon and button, which is a little more involved. Just take your time when you do it. I taped all the pieces to a large board and labeled everything for putting back together and at which steps they where taken out at.

Great thank you. I'm assuming they have the tool kit that I will need also?

Why did you say you should have replaced the ribbon too? Is that something I should order as well?

Is it worth replacing the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Apple
    Thanks

Replacing only the metal button did not fix my power button issue. I found out later the problem is in the switch inside the ribbon. They do have all the tools and parts you'll need.

Quote Originally Posted by maxse View Post
    Great thank you. I'm assuming they have the tool kit that I will need also?

Why did you say you should have replaced the ribbon too? Is that something I should order as well?

Is it worth replacing the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a known issue with iPhone 5, and they do have a free button replacement option. I'm going to get mine replaced once I upgrade to the 6.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    This is a known issue with iPhone 5, and they do have a free button replacement option. I'm going to get mine replaced once I upgrade to the 6.
    Interesting to know. Since I'm jailbroken, I dont typically go to Apple store with my phone. Plus now that I've "fixed" it, I dont think they will replace for free any more.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

I had bought my power button and was looking up how to replace it when my buddy sent me the link. I used to be jailbroken, but I thought the power button may be a software issue and restored. Oh well. Now no activator swipe to lock.