Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G[S] Proximity Sensor Fix?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3G[S] Proximity Sensor Fix?
    Hello everyone,

I had exchanged my iPhone 3G[S] digitizer with my girlfriend's "OEM" replacement digitizer recently.

As opposed to my original digitizer, the replacement part does not have the three circles for the proximity sensor on the digitizer (to the left of the ear-piece), thus the screen remains active when close to my ear rather than turning itself off.

Is there a fix for this?

I know that white digitizers have some sort of sharpie marker fix, however is there a fix for a black digitizer?

Thanks in advance.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

They actually make digitizers that don't have the proximity sensor windows? I would just spend the $7 shipped and get a better digitizer.

Thanks

I exchanged screens with my girlfriend, however she had some "professional" fix her screen @ the mall. I didn't cheap out, the "pro" did. Now I'm stuck with this screen, aside from this it's a fully functional screen .

If you really don't want to buy a new touchscreen (which I would, they are cheap), you could try scraping off some of the black paint off the inside of the glass where the IR emitter and receiver for the proximity sensor are, and also for the light sensor. Then maybe go over it with a sharpie just enough so you can't see the sensors, but they should still be able to "see" through the glass. I think you will have to pull off the digitizer from the frame to get to the back of the glass though.

But really, for that much trouble, you can buy a replacement digitizer for $7 shipped from eBay that works perfectly and has all the sensor windows.

Thanks

I guess I might as well... I just feel that it's a waste of 60$ since it was already replaced. Oh well, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

Yeah, I think either way, you're going to have to pull that thing off to get to the back of it as they are painted from behind. I really can't think of any other way to fix it, except for running an app to turn off the screen.
    I still find it hard to believe it doesn't have the sensor windows as even the cheapest Chinese ones do, but you must be right since it's not working.

Thanks

At least I know what to look out for.