Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone [Without the phone part...]

Unhappy Iphone [Without the phone part...]
    Arlight, so I just got an Iphone 4.
    Jailbroke and unlocked it, was working great.
    The next day, 5-20 seconds into phonecalls the person on the other line could no longer hear me. I would hear "Hello?" "Are you there?" over and over.
    Occasionally, a call would work normally. Sometimes my microphone would fade out after 30 seconds or so, enough for me to tell the person that my phone is gonna mess up and they won't be able to hear me.

Then it got worse. I could no longer hear them. At all. I can't even hear the phone ring before they pick it up.

The thing that boggles me is the phone works perfectly in everything else.
    Audio in video recording works flawlessly. Voice recording quality is clear. Music plays smoothly and loudly.

Anything to do with the phone call itself does not work.

Here are the things I've tried:

1) Rebooting the device
    2) Restoring and Rejailbreaking the device
    3) Cleaning the Microphone Jack with a q-tip
    4) Plugging a headset into the mic over and over
    5) Installing sbsettings in cydia and restarting springboard multiple times

I am running 4.3.3 with 1.59 baseband on simple mobile's network.

I did not buy the phone from an apple store, I have no warranty, so as far as I know there is nothing that they can do to help me

I'm fairly certain it has something to do with the noise-cancelling mic, as allot of other people have had similiar/the same issues with the iphone 4 but I haven't found a solution that works.

Has anybody had any luck with this? Even a short term fix?

Anything would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Sounds hardware related to me. It should still have a warranty on it that the Apple store will honor although there is zero chance you will get back one with 1.59 baseband.

So I need to choose between a phone that can text and play music or a phone that won't be able to be unlocked at all eh?

Thanks

Well there is always a gevey sim if you get it replaced.

Do those actually work?

I've heard very mixed things about their reliability

Thanks

Ya, they work. I dont know how well they work in the US but they work pretty well where I am.

Obviously they arent as good as a software unlock though.

Have you tried a different sim card in the phone or different carrier even (ATT)?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

A similar issue happened with my girlfriend's 3GS about a year ago. The iPhone's microphone zapped and didn't work at all. It's most likely a faulty piece of hardware. I'm curious as to whether Apple would be able to tell you what the issue is in particular. Given that Apple grants you that information, you might have a chance at fixing it.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

Default Update!
    So, I fixed the issue and thought I would update incase anybody else comes into a similiar problem.

I ended up going to the apple store, and they told me they could help me if I restored the Operating system so that it wasn't jailbroken anymore.

I did that, and set up a genious appointment. When I got there, they said that they couldn't do anything since it wasn't an [email protected] iphone. Damn.

So I grabbed a friends [email protected] sim card and had him go in.

They replaced it with a brand new one within 5 minutes.

I ordered a gevey sim.

I'm now using a fully working Iphone 4 with the latest firmware, unlocked and jailbroken

The only pity is that every time it turns off I have to do the gevey-unlock:
    Call 112, turn airplane mode on, turn it off, MAGICAL SERVICE APPEARS!

But anyway, thats my two cents on a solution if you are willing to order a gevey card.

By the way, do not order them from amazon.com! They are cheaper, but fake and crappy.

Use the actual gevey website!

Best,

-Jack