Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Thought I was smart

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Thought I was smart
    I've repaired a few i-phones so I thought i was smart and I told a friend "sure I can fix your cracked digitizer". Well it turned out that it also needed an LCD so I replaced the digitizer and the LCD...no big deal. When I booted the phone I got a white screen so I tried to restore with i-tunes....here's where the problem comes. I got an error the prevented the restore and now all i have is a black screen, i-tunes no longer recognizes the phone and I'm stuck. I've read the forums a bit and tried holding the sleep and home keys lots of times. Any help is appreciated..

What error code are you getting when you try to restore?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i bricked it View Post
    I've repaired a few i-phones so I thought i was smart and I told a friend "sure I can fix your cracked digitizer". Well it turned out that it also needed an LCD so I replaced the digitizer and the LCD...no big deal. When I booted the phone I got a white screen so I tried to restore with i-tunes....here's where the problem comes. I got an error the prevented the restore and now all i have is a black screen, i-tunes no longer recognizes the phone and I'm stuck. I've read the forums a bit and tried holding the sleep and home keys lots of times. Any help is appreciated..
    Did you try putting it into DFU mode?
    iRepair Indy

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can't remember what the error code was...it had several zeroes and I can't remember now what the rest was and now iTunes won't recognize the phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

At the risk of sounding dumb. It thought DFU mode was holding the sleep button and the home button for 10 secs. Is that not correct?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i bricked it View Post
    At the risk of sounding dumb. It thought DFU mode was holding the sleep button and the home button for 10 secs. Is that not correct?
    No, DFU mode is known as "Device Firmware Update" mode. To enter DFU mode, you hold the power/sleep button for 10 seconds, then hold the power/sleep button and the home button for another 10 seconds, then release the power/sleep button but still holding down the home button for another 10 seconds.

What you did was just a hard-reset.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jcbzr For This Useful Post:

i bricked it (2011-05-30)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok so in DFU mode I get an unknown error 1601.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbzr View Post
    No, DFU mode is known as "Device Firmware Update" mode. To enter DFU mode, you hold the power/sleep button for 10 seconds, then hold the power/sleep button and the home button for another 10 seconds, then release the power/sleep button but still holding down the home button for another 10 seconds.

What you did was just a hard-reset.
    Thank you for that info!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Any help with error code 1601?

Google "Tiny Umbrella"

Download that, connect your iPhone, launch the program, and select "exit recovery"

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iamkadaj For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The only option that I can select is "fix recovery"

In the log tab it says "Tiny Umbrella's TSS Server is not running" is that a bad thing?

I am now getting error code 3194 when I sync with i-Tunes in DFU mode
    Last edited by i bricked it; 2011-05-19 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Your story is very complicated. You are leaving out a lot of information, probably because you don't know, because this is someone else's iPhone. iPhone errors are never completely specific they can often mean different things in different situations. 1601 may be due in this case, to not entering Pwned DFU while trying restore. Try Pwned DFU, I think Redsn0w, Sn0wbreeze and Pwnage Tool can get the iPhone into Pwned DFU. 3194 is due to the computer Hosts file blocking Apple from signing your firmware. Tiny umbrella can fix the Hosts file, or you can remove all the lines with gs.apple.com and numbers in your Hosts file if you want Apple to sign your firmware. Tiny Umbrella can also sign your firmware with the TSS Server and your SHSH.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 805 93003 For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you for your response it is appreciated. I have been able to enter Pwned DFU mode and haven't made much progress. How would i use tiny umbrella to fix the host file? I have downloaded tiny umbrella but I haven't been able to get the "fix recovery" application to work due to a missing .dll file. Any other thoughts?