Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 2G Hard Drive Swap

Default iPhone 2G Hard Drive Swap
    So, here's my story and question.

My wife dropped her iPhone 2g 16GB for the, well, the last time. After the drop it went into a recovery mode loop. The phone was running 3.1.3 FW JB and UL using redsnow 3.1.2 exploit. I tried everything Google could find to get it out of recovery mode loop. I tried DFU restore 152,321 times, I tried DFU JB using redsnow 1,234 times, I tried iReb 164 times.

iTunes always returned the unknown error (28), redsnow kinda got stuck on downloading jailbreak data for a loooooooong time before finally going back into the loop, and iReb actually got to the point where it said waiting for custom firmware twice, but iTunes wasn't having any of that.

So, after many hours of unsuccessfully trying to bring it back to life I decided that it was dropped for the last time and will never recover.

My question is, can I take the 16GB hard drive from this phone and run it in my iPhone 2G in place of the 8GB drive in there? If the swap is easy enough I will try it, but what are the chances that the drop damaged the hard drive. The unknown error (28) seems to be hardware related, but what part of hardware is it affecting?

Anyway if it seems feasible can somebody find me a link for a very detailed step by step tutorial?

Thanks -Jim
    Apple + AT&T + U.S. Government = George Orwell's Big Brother

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

I believe it is extremely difficult to do something like that on iPhone 2G. They are a lot harder to take apart than the newer models and just swapping the hard drive may require some soldering skills (not sure though).

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

the "hard drive" is actually a chip into the motherboard, not a separate piece that you can swap. IF I am not mistaken, error 28 means communication board, but I am not 100%sure.

I read a post from another MMi user, maybe it will help you, just follow his steps shown here

Apple, iPhone & iPad Forums | ModMyi.com Post #14

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    the "hard drive" is actually a chip into the motherboard, not a separate piece that you can swap. IF I am not mistaken, error 28 means communication board, but I am not 100%sure.

I read a post from another MMi user, maybe it will help you, just follow his steps shown here

Apple, iPhone & iPad Forums | ModMyi.com Post #14
    Thanks to both of you for the replies.

So if it is the communication board, maybe I can just swap out motherboards and turn my 8GB phone into a 16GB phoned?

g13...the link you provided just brought me to the forums home page...not any particular post.

Thanks again

-Jim
    Apple + AT&T + U.S. Government = George Orwell's Big Brother