Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No service. Help PLEASE

Default No service. Help PLEASE
    Hello modmyi, i have a persistent and annoying problem. My iphone 4 loses signal and i cant reconnect to any network(home, nor roaming-happened once when abroad).
    It happened the first time when i was still on 4.0.1. I had to turn off the phone or remove the SIM for 1-2min, because a simple reboot wouldnt fix it.
    Then i upgraded to 4.1, JBed with greenpoison, i installed ultrasnow and everything else i had, everything seemed ok. Then an upgrade appeared for one of the extensions i had and i saw at cydia's "install" screen 'restarting commcenter', i respringed and problem popped. So i was like "ffffffuuuuuu, THIS is what was causing my problems??", uninstalled and everything seemed ok for a while. Then it started doing it again
    Then i found a proposed solution on the internet, here at modmyi actually, to install carrier bundles if i dont have them. So i installed the missing bundles and everything seemed ok once again. But after a few days problem appeared again.

Some more details:
    *in the past when this happened, the carrier would vanish and the signal bars would show just the smallest bar. After a simple reboot the problem would reappear, but not instantly, after 10-20sec and if i was fast enough to enter settings-carrier, i was connected to my carrier, then "unable to load carrier list" would show and the whole carrier subsection would dissappear.
    *when it happens now i get "no service", i can go into settings-carrier, the phone finds all available carriers, i can click on any and "connect" but it doesnt really connect to anything. Sometimes i reboot once, sometimes twice, sometimes have to turn it off for 1-2min for it to work again.

Someone please please help me? Its reaaaaally frustrating restarting my phone several times a day sometimes ((

Thank you

This might sound to simple but have u tried a different sim? Because it sounds like the sim reader isn't reading the sim well like the contact points are flush on the sim. So I would try a new sim card and see if that fixes it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

resp (2010-11-05)

I thought about this too, but the SIM is as new as the phone :/
    Didnt get a new one after the problems started to occur, but could it have degraded so fast? I mean, I dont have it for more than 3months and it doesnt even look worn either :S
    And on the other side, if it were the SIM, when this problem occurs why does it happen so I CAN see the carrier list, I tap something there to connect to, it appears as if Im connected, but statusbar says No service still(and I DO have no service)?

(

Ya sims can go bad after 2 mins sometimes I would try a new one. As for it connecting and disconnecting and showing in the carrier files it may be connected enough to shoe them but something is wrong when it's connecting. Try the new sim if the problem still occurs you may have a hardware problem. Which means exchanging the phone out. Are you on Att or tmobile

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

resp (2010-11-05)

sadly on neither, Im from EU and the phone is from US.
    The local carrier wont help me as I didnt purchased it from the, lawl, and we have no genius bar in our country

I just hope its the SIM, Im gonna go get a new one asap
    So, if a new SIM wont help, theres no other option but a hardware problem?

thanks for the replies so far

Honestly thats what I am thinking it seems like you have done everything software related right. But hopefully it is just as simple as replacing the sim. But if not then I guess you will be making a trip to the land of the free But let me know if that fixes it. Also who is your carrier I'll see if there is by chance something that we are missing

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

resp (2010-11-05)

Vodafone Romania.
    I installed the modmyi cydia VodafoneROabonament(abonament meaning contract) bundles(Vodafone isnt an authorized iphone dealer atm, only Orange has it. vodafone will have iphones too in the next weeks, if that helps with new and "official" bundles, maybe?).

Quote Originally Posted by resp View Post
    Vodafone Romania.
    I installed the modmyi cydia VodafoneROabonament(abonament meaning contract), bundles if that helps.
    Yes it does well let me know if the sim does anything for u I'll do some searching and will get back to u asoon as we find out if the sim card fixes it or not

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

resp (2010-11-05)

Quote Originally Posted by westerman View Post
    Yes it does well let me know if the sim does anything for u I'll do some searching and will get back to u asoon as we find out if the sim card fixes it or not
    edited my post during your post, heh
    Well, Ill try to get my hands on a new SIM today, a bit busy and dont know if Ill make it till closing time, but tomorrow Ill have one for sure.
    Thanks for the support, man, really appreciate it, 4thanks for you

Quote Originally Posted by resp View Post
    edited my post during your post, heh
    Well, Ill try to get my hands on a new SIM today, a bit busy and dont know if Ill make it till closing time, but tomorrow Ill have one for sure.
    Thanks for the support, man, really appreciate it, 4thanks for you
    No problem and thank u ( I'll hit the button when I get on a real computer not the mmi
    App )

Hello again. I know it's been a while, and I know Im irresponsible for not getting me a new SIM since you said so, but I didnt have any problems since then.
    Until yesterday, but it passed quite fast by itself, it just found the network eventually. Now today again.
    Compared to the moment I posted the thread, now a simple sbsettings->reboot does the trick, however, sometimes I get the problem mid-call and it's frustrating.
    I know you will tell me I should have bought a new SIM till now and I know I should have and I will these days for sure, but why Im posting is because today I tried removing the SIM and reinserting it when I got the problem and something odd happened: it still said "no service" even with the SIM out; then I rebooted the phone with the SIM out and when it booted back up it said "Searching..." then "No service" again ... Shouldnt it say "SIM card missing" or something like that?
    Is it a phone hardware problem after all?

edit: I have installed MyProfiles and Auto3G now ... to keep it short the phone turns 3G off when locked(and on wifi), back on when unlocked(when not on wifi) and has a profile of 'turn everything off' during the night; if this info helps.

Thank you.
    Last edited by resp; 2010-11-29 at 02:55 PM.