Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can anyone tell me if this phone is salvageable?

Default Can anyone tell me if this phone is salvageable?
    Hi everyone! My experience with hardware on the iPhone is only a successful replacement of the lcd/glass on my 3g. A friend has recently given me his 3GS, and told me that I can have it. I was able to get it to turn on after trying my best to put it all together, but it only stayed for a minute. I could be mistaken, but it seems that some wires are ripped where they should not be.

Can anyone look at these pictures and tell me (if anything) what I am able to do to make this phone work? Is it possible, or is this a waste of time?

Thank you for any help!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I think it would help more if you could take it apart again and show all the individual parts. Cuz its jumbled up and hard to see like that. The top pic tho does look like the power button/audio jack's flex cable is damaged/ripped off. In the second pic, why aren't the ribbons connected?

Edit: chances are, if nothing from the main board is damaged, the phone is easily saved. Each part doesn't cost more than $10-$15 (not including the LCD which seems you don't need to replace). I just can't see which parts need to be replaced with it partially assembled, I'll need to see the individual parts on their own or at least if you could remove the main board and get it out of the way.

Edit 2: sorry, I just noticed the second pic the main board is out. My bad, I'll just take another look here.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-03 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

krillnasty (2010-11-03)

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    I think it would help more if you could take it apart again and show all the individual parts. Cuz its jumbled up and hard to see like that. The top pic tho does look like the power button/audio jack's flex cable is damaged/ripped off. In the second pic, why aren't the ribbons connected?

Edit: chances are, if nothing from the main board is damaged, the phone is easily saved. Each part doesn't cost more than $10-$15 (not including the LCD which seems you don't need to replace). I just can't see which parts need to be replaced with it partially assembled, I'll need to see the individual parts on their own or at least if you could remove the main board and get it out of the way.

Edit 2: sorry, I just noticed the second pic the main board is out. My bad, I'll just take another look here.
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply! I can always take it apart if necessary!!

Thanks

The 1st pic the one ribbon cable is all jacked up & its showing water damage...Your missing the battery & plug ribbon cable is torn in the 2nd pic..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cid6.7 For This Useful Post:

krillnasty (2010-11-03)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah it'd help to see each part by itself to find any damages. I can see there are already damaged flex cables tho. In the second pic on the right side, is that where your volume rocker is? That little flex cable sticking out of it...if that does go to your volume rocker, you do need to replace that entire flex cable as it links to the audio jack and power button and vibrate switch.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

krillnasty (2010-11-03)

Quote Originally Posted by Cid6.7 View Post
    The 1st pic the one ribbon cable is all jacked up & its showing water damage...Your missing the battery & plug in the 2nd pic..
    Okay thank you. I'm going to take it all the way apart and take pictures. I think that way I can learn exactly what is/is not working!

Thanks

The volume rocker is on the left side..Im actually not sure what that torn flex cable is for in the 2nd pic..

Are you sure that 2nd pic is of the same phone..? To me it doesnt make any sense those connections in the top left shouldnt be there if the boards been removed..Plus it looks like an aluminum backing..

Ahh I see now thats the front piece with lcd & everything still attached..LOL I had a brainfart sorry..

Anniex had me thinking that was the back with the board removed..lol
    Last edited by Cid6.7; 2010-11-03 at 09:11 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cid6.7 For This Useful Post:

krillnasty (2010-11-03)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Lol sorry. I got confused too. Im not used to seeing the phone assembled that way. I kind of just assumed the back housing was on the bottom. I was wondering why the 1,2,3 ribbons were up top on a disassembled phone.

Wow, so many people willing to help. This is fantastic, I cannot thank all of you enough!

I made an album, and tried my best to show you EVERYTHING on the phone that I could. You'll notice a couple of pieces by themselves, and they are the camera, the headphone jack, and a cable with a number 9 (or a 6?) (it may be hard to see in the pic.) This cable came in a bag.

Also, there are a couple of stripped screws on the lcd housing so I was unable to separate that from the front glass. I think you should see everything though, if not let me know and I'll rush to take more! :-)

iPhone closeups - Imgur

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm confused...
    It seems like the screen and metal band were ripped off the back case
    unless a 3GS comes apart much differently than a 3G

EDIT:
    hers a pic from the ifixit tear down
    the phone was torn apart wrong
    notice on your phone the vibration motor is on the back of the screen, but the pic i provided has it next to the main board
    and the dock has been pulled apart as well, the screws holding it to the metal band are backwards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -rccm5ae66suiui2c.medium.jpg  
    Last edited by dale2; 2010-11-04 at 01:03 AM.

If you look at the post above, I took everything apart. It's the exact same as taking apart a 3G, it's just an odd way to do it haha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krillnasty View Post
    If you look at the post above, I took everything apart. It's the exact same as taking apart a 3G, it's just an odd way to do it haha.
    No i've never hear of taking it apart like that
    it looks like you took it apart like a 2G
    on a 3G(S) you unscrew the screws at the dock and use a suction cup or razorblade to lift the bottom of the glass out, leaving the metal band with the vibration motor on the case with the mainboard

in the pic, that ribbon may have been where the dock was torn apart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -fzm9j.jpg  
    Last edited by dale2; 2010-11-04 at 01:15 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dale2 For This Useful Post:

krillnasty (2010-11-04)

Thanks! You're right, I didn't realize I did it wrong. I had put it back together, and just took it apart the way you described, and it's obviously how it should look!

It was torn apart when I received it. I got the phone in multiple pieces in ziplock bags, then hastily put it together to see if I could get it to work.
    Do you know if the 3g dock is compatible? Could I simply swap it out and put it into the 3gs?
    Last edited by krillnasty; 2010-11-04 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Thanks! You're right, I didn't realize I did it wrong. I had put it back together, and just took it apart the way you described, and it's obviously how it should look!
    you're welcome, i only wish i could tell you whats broken now
    this is not my area of expertise
    ive been through 3 iphones and right now i have a Frankenstein like monster that is the backcase of #1, the battery and dock of #2, and the mainboard of #3
    so i know how to take it apart, but not repair it lol

as far as i know, the 3G parts do not go with a 3GS, despite the fact that some 3GS parts work in a 3G

Haha that sounds like quite the phone. Seems like you at least have plenty of spare parts lying around :-)

Regarding the 3G/3GS compatibility, I have a feeling you're probably right :-(

Thanks

Haha that sounds like quite the phone. Seems like you at least have plenty of spare parts lying around :-)

Regarding the 3G/3GS compatibility, I have a feeling you're probably right :-(
    a new dock can cost you $20 including shipping
    and that other torn ribbon is probably the headphone assembly, which is compatable with either phone
    i think if you can get a new dock, and put it with the mainboard in the 3G case, with the screen, it will work

you may want to move the 3GS camera over too
    Last edited by dale2; 2010-11-04 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dale2 For This Useful Post:

krillnasty (2010-11-04)

Quote Originally Posted by dale2 View Post
    a new dock can cost you $20 including shipping
    and that other torn ribbon is probably the headphone assembly, which is compatable with either phone
    i think if you can get a new dock, and put it with the mainboard in the 3G case, with the screen, it will work

you may want to move the 3GS camera over too
    So you're saying I should pretty much take the compatible parts from the 3gs and use them to upgrade my 3g? I have a working 3g dock, perhaps I'm just confused but why would I get a new dock to put in with the mainboard of the 3g? My main reason for wanting to do this would be to use the 3gs mainboard.

Ahh wait you're saying to move the 3gs mainboard over to the 3g case, along with a new 3GS dock correct? Sorry these posts are so jumbled, you're doing a great job of helping me!!

Thanks

So you're saying I should pretty much take the compatible parts from the 3gs and use them to upgrade my 3g? I have a working 3g dock, perhaps I'm just confused but why would I get a new dock to put in with the mainboard of the 3g? My main reason for wanting to do this would be to use the 3gs mainboard.

Ahh wait you're saying to move the 3gs mainboard over to the 3g case, along with a new 3GS dock correct? Sorry these posts are so jumbled, you're doing a great job of helping me!!
    the latter
    i may be mistaken, you will have to research it its not my dollar
    but the plastic case, along with the buttons is fully compatible with your 3GS mainboard
    you just need to move the mainboard, battery, dock, and camera to the old case.
    its essentially a way around replacing the headphone jack in the 3GS, which is not as cheap, nor easy, as this

25. The Following User Says Thank You to dale2 For This Useful Post:

krillnasty (2010-11-04)

This is amazing! I'll have to look into a bit more, but you have definitely put me on the right track. I feel like this may actually be doable now! Thank you so much dale. I'll be sure to update this once I've given it a shot!

Thanks

This is amazing! I'll have to look into a bit more, but you have definitely put me on the right track. I feel like this may actually be doable now! Thank you so much dale. I'll be sure to update this once I've given it a shot!
    you got me thinking lol, if i can get a junker 3GS with an intact motherboard, i can have a cheap 3GS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast