Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can anyone tell me if this phone is salvageable?

We'll both have to keep each other updated then! ;-)

My 3G came from a roommate with a cracked screen, worked perfectly other than that. Second roommate got an iphone 4 to replace the 3GS that you've seen the pictures of. Unless they're technically savvy or enjoy tinkering like we do, the odds are if you know someone who replaced a 3GS rather than repaired it they'll just give it to you :-D

Just had a question if anyone is still available to answer!

So I put the phone together, and the screen is just white and blank. However, I am able to connect it to a computer and mess with it through itunes and openssh. Can anyone see something in the pictures that would cause the screen not to work? I realize there's a lot more going on with it, but was wondering if there was a wire or something someone saw to be faulty for the LCD. thank you!
    Last edited by krillnasty; 2010-11-04 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krillnasty View Post
    We'll both have to keep each other updated then! ;-)

My 3G came from a roommate with a cracked screen, worked perfectly other than that. Second roommate got an iphone 4 to replace the 3GS that you've seen the pictures of. Unless they're technically savvy or enjoy tinkering like we do, the odds are if you know someone who replaced a 3GS rather than repaired it they'll just give it to you :-D

Just had a question if anyone is still available to answer!

So I put the phone together, and the screen is just white and blank. However, I am able to connect it to a computer and mess with it through itunes and openssh. Can anyone see something in the pictures that would cause the screen not to work? I realize there's a lot more going on with it, but was wondering if there was a wire or something someone saw to be faulty for the LCD. thank you!
    Well it's 1 of 3 things.. or maybe all 3 lol

1) Faulty LCD
    2) Corroded LCD connector on logic board (check the small copper prongs)
    3) Water damage (i seen that the water sensors were red)

Try another LCD.. and also clean the connector with alcohol that's at least 80%.

If that doesn't work, most likely it's not fixable.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iRepairIndy For This Useful Post:

krillnasty (2010-11-05)

Quote Originally Posted by iRepairIndy View Post
    Well it's 1 of 3 things.. or maybe all 3 lol

1) Faulty LCD
    2) Corroded LCD connector on logic board (check the small copper prongs)
    3) Water damage (i seen that the water sensors were red)

Try another LCD.. and also clean the connector with alcohol that's at least 80%.

If that doesn't work, most likely it's not fixable.
    Thanks for the reply. The water damage is what im most worried about, as it makes it even more difficult for a newbie like me to figure out whats wrong haha. Can my 3g screen be used in the 3gs to test this, or do i need to buy one online? Thank you!

Green Apple
    Thanks

don't quote me but i saw in a thread here long long ago that if you get like 100% alcohol or some crap, you can submerge the phone in it,let it sit for a spell, take it out, put it in a ziploc back, put rice in that, let it sit for like 48 hours and try piecing it back together. a few people have said this works for them and has salvaged their water damaged iphones. idk.. just a thought

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Considering the device has already been disassembled, the rice isn't necessary

Wash the device with 99-100% alcohol to remove leftover minerals from water within the crevices of the device. Then let air dry. Alcohol evaporates very quickly.

I don't know how much that would do considering the device wasn't recently water damaged. Over a course of time, the damage of the water on the device gets worse as time passes so...hopefully it hasn't been too long ago since.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krillnasty View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The water damage is what im most worried about, as it makes it even more difficult for a newbie like me to figure out whats wrong haha. Can my 3g screen be used in the 3gs to test this, or do i need to buy one online? Thank you!
    3G digitizers and LCD's are not interchangeable w/ 3GS's

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iRepairIndy For This Useful Post:

krillnasty (2010-11-06)

3G digitizers and LCD's are not interchangeable w/ 3GS's
    Good to know, thank you. It's seeming like this is going to be quite the undertaking to get this phone working haha

i didnt see anything about water damage yet have u even powered this on yet cuz so far i see all indicators tripped except the charger port but cant see the other side but its pink usually untripped there red if its still under warranty and you have all the parts and dont mind alittle deception pm me ill tell you how to get it fixed well as long as you can make it look legit it is legit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by systdow666 View Post
    i didnt see anything about water damage yet have u even powered this on yet cuz so far i see all indicators tripped except the charger port but cant see the other side but its pink usually untripped there red if its still under warranty and you have all the parts and dont mind alittle deception pm me ill tell you how to get it fixed well as long as you can make it look legit it is legit

lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

lol
    i think his translator broke...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12