Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone refuses to charge

Question iPhone refuses to charge
    Hey all, new user here but have used this site before. Ok I have looked over the other posts but mine seems to be slightly different than the others. I have an iPhone 2G (yes I know, its slow and old but it works good, at least it used too) that I have changed the battery on, had no problems before the change save for the old battery draining very fast but also recharging very fast, after the first battery change it charged VERY erratically, it had 50% charge when I installed it, charged up to 88% quickly then it dropped to 66% instantly then up and down up and down etc for a day, after it got below 20% it refused to charge and died. I took that battery out and installed another brand new one and it seemed to be ok, it charged up to 100% the first time and discharged normally to 20% where I normally charge it, I left it overnight and woke up to a phone at 13% charged while plugged into the wall, hooked it up to the laptop and it refused to charge as well despite itunes recognizing the phone and the display saying it was charging, I unplugged the phone plugged it back in then all of a sudden it was at 38% charge from 11%, I kept this unplug replug procedure in till it said 66% where it stopped "charging" now it refuses to charge at all, itunes still sees it fine, I have tried 3 diff cables to no effect and now have a phone that displays the connected to power screen but wont take a charge anymore. Any ideas? Thanks for any replies!

Oh I had restored the phone earlier to see if it was a glitch with the jailbreak, no effect.

iPhone 2G 3.1.3 Jailbroken

BUMP, ok update, it will only randomly charge now up to 22% then die off again the decide to charge in a couple days. No offence to anyone on this site but over 140 views and NO suggestions?? Yes before you people tell me to google it I have, and all I get are either A: posts from when the phones first came out and it was a bug in OS 1.xxxx or B: not a 2G phone. Thanks for at least taking the time to read this post. Hope someone can help a bit.

It might be a hardware problem

Quote Originally Posted by Tahaninja32 View Post
    It might be a hardware problem
    I was thinking the same thing but what is the most likely culprit? Logic board, battery, motherboard, connections?? I dont exactly know where to start and sure as hell cant afford a new phone right now, not with being unemployed/self-employed.

Ok another update, when the phone DOES charge up to about 22% and quits it quickly discharges (about 1 hour) UNLESS I unhook the cable, then it is stable.
    Last edited by Unreal2004; 2010-10-25 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

where did u get the battery from?

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    where did u get the battery from?
    I got both batteries from my friends iPhone repair company for free they say made in china on them and "Replacement For iPhone" Model No.A1203 1400mAh

Do you still have the original Apple battery? If yes, how long does it last with it? I don't know much about your friends repair company but i'm thinking it could be defective batteries rather than a hardware problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    Do you still have the original Apple battery? If yes, how long does it last with it? I don't know much about your friends repair company but i'm thinking it could be defective batteries rather than a hardware problem.
    Yes I still have the old battery, it would hold a charge for an hour and recharge in about 15mins, it was getting to the point of being usless for calls as the battery would only last for 20 mins or so. The first replacement battery I recieved was defective as stated before, this one seemed ok at first but maybe your right it is also bad. Is there any way to tell for sure? Taking this iPhone apart is a PITA.

So the original battery holds a charge for an hour and then recharges? Meaning it doesn't have the same problem as the other 2 replacement batteries? I guess all you can do is switch batteries and experiment..just try not to break something else while changing it, i've heard people say they accidentally poked some important parts when trying to change batteries lol

Yeah I know about breaking parts, when I changed it the second time I got so frustrated with the metal back that I bent it horribly, also got a new one of those free LOL and its now a 16GB model ROFLOL. Ok so what I will do now is remove the new battery and install the old one again and see how it goes. BTW when I removed the original one the glue that was holding it was so strong I bent the battery, is it still ok you think? Nothing happened when I did that but not sure now about it.

Wanna get me a free back