Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Endless Boot Cycle / Error 29 in iTunes

Default Endless Boot Cycle / Error 29 in iTunes
    Hey all, having a bit of a problem with my 3GS, bought the second hand the other day off a friend. He told me it wouldnt update in iTunes,ok, so I thought I could fix it.

Connect to iTunes and 3/4 through it throws up 'update cannot complete (Error 29). Now all it does is boot onto the Apple Logo, and the screen then goes blank, i.e no backlight but black lines/pixels are shown almost like a loading screen, and on comes the Apple Logo again. The cycle takes about 1 minute to circle.

This only happens when it is plugged in via usb, so I assume the battery is borked. Other users are complaining that you need a OEM battery and this gets rid of Error 29 in iTunes, others say its because of water damage, and more say it can be fixed by running iRecovery. See here: http://www.mediacrave.com/?p=788

My problem is I cant seem to get it in or out of recovery mode/dfu because it doesnt boot for long enogh to be recognized by Windows/iTunes, so people, what would be my best plan if action to get this lovely 3GS back up and running? Im thinking replace the battery and see what happens for there...

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to replies.

I had a problem like this before....try changing the battery and see if it'll boot up on its on and do the cycle without being charged....

once you get there try putting it in DFU and load up the latest firmware. That should fix its problem

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tiguy99 For This Useful Post:

donmeister (2010-10-14)

Okay, I will do that and post back here with results, thank you!

Okay, so I opened up the iPhone 3gs, and took out the battery, I keyed in its code to Google 616-0428, which informs me is a battery for the 3g! Odd?? So maybe now I realise why Error 29 is coming up. Getting a new Original iPhone 3Gs battery 616-0431 on eBay now. I hope it fixes it
    Last edited by donmeister; 2010-10-14 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had same problem with couple repairs the other day it happened alot with cheap batteries or batterys from older models for some reason if u put a older battery in a new phones it causes this problem

Thanks
    great post! i myself have the same problem with my 3GS it works fine on 3.1.2 but when i update it to 4.xx it boots up but then it will just restart on its own.. gonna replace battery also.. itunes gave me error 29

(just purchased battery on ebay) 616-0431<--
    Last edited by sikdaz; 2010-10-21 at 07:07 PM. Reason: ;)

Default Found soluton itunes error 29??
    Here is what i did. for 3gs
    History of the phone battery was replaced with a non orginal battery

create a custom firmware iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Custom_Restore.ipsw and place your iphone in DFU mode. (pwnagetool)

itunes gives a error like 21 en then you see on your iphone the itunes logo.

now do a again a restore (hold shift for windows) or alt for mac and select your custom firmware and try again.

This worked for me so i hope for some of you it will work to.
    Last edited by RobinG_Iphone; 2010-10-26 at 02:38 PM.

Just an update my new battery came today from ebay, got the hone back working! Although it rings, I cant here music play on the speaker, only through headphones :/

Thanks

You can desolder the original min circuit board and attach to a "cheap" battery to avoid serial number "mismatch" causing error 29.....

Just Sr. Jobs trying to keep us from buying non-apple stuff
    Do hope that helps

**uoʇʇnq sʞuɐɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʇıɥ puɐ puıʞ ǝq noʎ pǝdןǝɥ sɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟı**