Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Vibrate switch and power button

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Default Vibrate switch and power button
    Hi guys, I just finished putting my iPhone 3G back together with a new housing and new screen. Everything is fine except the power button and the vibrate switch. They just won't work. The vibrate switch will work 1 out of 10 times but doesn't show the bell with a slash, it shows the bell (like turning sound on) instead. I don't think I damaged the flex cable cuz the volume rocker works perfect. I made sure 5 was connected properly too. Is it possible for part of the flex cable to be damaged?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

I have no clue Annie. If no one posts up you can send a PM to one1, he is absolutely the best at iPhone repair. He will help you for sure. Good luck.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

thanks B, I'll think about it

sounds like you messed up a part of the flex cable... does it feel like it clicks back like normal when you switch the vibrate switch?

not too bad of a problem, you can switch the phone back and forth from vibrate in the settings.app

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah I just wasn't sure if it was even possible to only damage part of the flex cable. I thought it'd be all or nothing sort of thing cuz the volume buttons still work well.

I was planning to dl the vibrate on off toggle for SBS. is there also one that will set the phone to sleep? Cuz I would imagine the future buyer would be really irritated to have to wait for the screen to lock itself without a power button and all.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

sounds like the vibrate switch is in the wrong position. when you put the plastic piece in (the one u actually move, on top of the volume button) on the inside of that piece it has like a little indent where the actual switch goes (the internal part that moves up and down) if it is not in correctly, then that happens that when you move it to vibrate, it actually shows the bell picture instead of the bell with the slash over it

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

The thing is, I agree but when I flip the switch, it doesn't react/respond at all for like 10 times before it will respond once and show me the bell. Then it stops responding again after a bunch more tries and will respond once in awhile. I can feel the click every time so I know it's flipping up and down. I think it's time for a new flex cable...

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

I agree, flex. Have been doing some research about it, and I really think your right Annie.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

haven't seen you around B. Busy girl! Yeah if I don't get the phone sold by Wednesday as is, it's getting a new flex cable