Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best place for a screen replacement

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Best place for a screen replacement
    So, I'm one of the many that dropped my iPhone(3GS) on it's face and broke it. Called the Apple Store and they want $100 to replace it!! No. I'm eligible for an iPhone 4 upgrade and I'd rather try to replace the screen myself first. I'm very versed in cellphone disassembly, so I'm not afraid to dive into my iPhone. My question is this: Any suggestions for best place to buy the new screen assembly/digitizer? Links would be much appreciated...

Thanks

Digitizers are cheap and run 6-7 bucks on ebay...then head ur behind over to ifixit for a teqrdown...it's very easy actually

Default You get what you pay for....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kareen View Post
    So, I'm one of the many that dropped my iPhone(3GS) on it's face and broke it. Called the Apple Store and they want $100 to replace it!! No. I'm eligible for an iPhone 4 upgrade and I'd rather try to replace the screen myself first. I'm very versed in cellphone disassembly, so I'm not afraid to dive into my iPhone. My question is this: Any suggestions for best place to buy the new screen assembly/digitizer? Links would be much appreciated...
    I agree with the previous post being "very easy" with one caveat, if you have done it or are tech savvy, which you say you are. If you feel comfortable performing a digitizer replacement, go for it! Check it out on ifixit. I have done this many, many times. It does take a bit of practice and a lot of patientce, especially if you digitizer is really shattered.

If you don't feel like really digging in, so-to-speak. I would highly recommend buying the "front housing", sometimes referred to by other names. It is the digitizer, with the frame and home button etc.; all put together for you and is much easier for one whom may not want to "get out the heat gun". These can be purchased from sellers on ebay(buy from one of the folks in the USA) as well as ifixit(expensive). Always, Always keep in mind you get what you pay for.

I would post a couple of links for you, however being new to this forum I am not sure if that is allowed. You are more than welcome to send me private message and I will pass a couple of good resellers along. Also if I have insulted your "techiness" it was not on purpose.

Best of Luck!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Is the touch function ok? If so you'll just have to get the front glass/screen which is cheap. Got mine on Amazon for $11 with shipping. Watch a few YouTube videos, the screen is quite easy to fix yourself.

If the touch function is bad too then the digitizer also needs to be replaced.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Thank you! I've ordered a screen(with digitizer) off of ebay and I should see it within the next week, or so. The touch function is fine, but I was told that the glass and digitizer are one piece? That coming from my local Apple Store...

They come separate also but it's easier if u get them together...for the iPhone 2G and iPhone 4 they're glued together so it's pretty impossible to replace one without the other..too risky

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

The digitizer for a 3G/3GS are simply screwed to the front glass. The digitizer will come right off after taking the screws out. I had a functional digitizer so I only got the glass. The digitizer can get pricey (pricey for me at least).

This thread is so full of misinformation.

On a 3GS (3G also) there is:
    1. the front glass (you touch this with your finger)
    2. the digitizer, which is strongly glued to the front glass (transmits touch signals from your finger)
    3. the LCD (shows the screen image)

When 99% of people buy a front glass for the 3GS, including the best repair person you know, or even Apple too, the front glass for the 3GS includes the digitizer. These cost less than 10 dollars now. (digitizer and front glass)

The LCD is secured by 6 screws to the midboard metal rails and top clip.
    The front glass with attached digitizer is glued to the front of the iphone with double sided adhesive tape, and a thin film of silicone glue at the edge. The front glass and attached digitizer are glued to the plastic front of the midboard.

Regarding how easy or difficult is the glass replacement of a 3GS, it is very difficult.

To open the phone you need a suction cup or risk damaging midboard. If you open abruptly you will tear flex cable 3, and possible damage motherboard by dislodging number 3 motherboard connector. When sliding out LCD, if not done just right you will damage LCD screen. Removing glass is not always easy, even if you have a heat gun, easy to damage midboard and midboard components.

The steps for applying the new adhesive and setting the new front glass into place takes skill and care. Don't get dust, dirt, or fingerprints on the LCD front or new digitizer back. Then you have to carefully reconnect the 3 cables.

Every step is critical from opening the phone properly to closing it without damaging anything.

Again, people break flex cable 3, connector 3, LCD, midboard, even home button metal contacts if they are just sligthly careless at any step.

It is definitely a nice DIY project.

Watch a few youtube videos first, but there is not a single youtube video that replaces a screen correctly, all of them have missteps or bad information.

Good luck.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 805 93003 For This Useful Post:

i.Annie (2010-10-09), Valvoline (2012-01-29), Waleed786 (2010-10-09)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

My bad, I managed to confuse myself with the digitizer and the LCD. You're absolutely correct. Staring at a glass digitizer and LCD for an hour just yesterday got me all funked up lol. Thanks for the clarification, I hit the thanks