Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone took a tumble today...help pls

Thanks

Default iphone took a tumble today...help pls
    i have a 3gs and it took a tumble today, when i picked it up, the screen was all white and had a few lines going across it. i felt compelled to reset it, and the phone never turned on after that.

the phone doesn't ring if i try to call it. so i thought that perhaps it was beyond the screen crapping out..

when i got home from work, iTunes wouldn't recognize it, but iphonebrowser is able to read it, and i can browse it, so part of it is functioning. only thing, it's not staying connected, i have to unplug it and plug it back in after a few mins.

so what are my options here? i am out of warranty, and this was a refurb, i may or may not be within the guarantee, its cutting it close. if i can fix it myself, i would definitely not hesitate, as i would rather keep this for all the fun cydia stuff i've done to it. or if i can somehow backup my cydia with iphonebrowser, how can i do that?

last q, if it is just a bad screen, would the phone at least ring?
    Last edited by patoons; 2010-09-28 at 10:37 PM.

I would assume that the phone would ring since the speaker is a separate attachment but it sounds like a ribbon cable or something came unplugged, Apple might help you and take it apart in the back to check it, most likely they will make you pay

A Cricket store however will check it for free and I believe there screen replace price is $60

Thanks

ok, ill try the ribbon myself, ive opened up countless of controllers, gaming consoles etc. im not afraid.. but any reason why iphonebrowser and My computer recognize it as plugged in, but itunes wont? i want to backup, just in case!

Quote Originally Posted by patoons View Post
    ok, ill try the ribbon myself, ive opened up countless of controllers, gaming consoles etc. im not afraid.. but any reason why iphonebrowser and My computer recognize it as plugged in, but itunes wont? i want to backup, just in case!
    Idk, but be sure it's completely off before you open it and you shouldn't loose any data, if you have an extra iPhone lying around try that screen idk if it has to be of the same type between 3G and 3GS it might

Thanks

ok, thanks, i mean, i would just lose a bunch of txts n stuff, no real big loss, i just saved my whole camera roll saturday, coincidentally.. unfortunately, i don't have an extra phone lying around, though a friend of my wife's just broke her 3gs so maybe if her screen is working ill try that.

Good luck, my brother found a completely smashed iPhone and took it to the Cricket store and they tested each piece in it for free, good alternative to get u up and running fast, maybe something is bad on it but your friends piece is good so u use both iPhones to make one, ppl do this all the time on craigslist there's good money in it if you have the time

Thanks

what's a cricket store? a type of store or a brand?

what's a cricket store? a type of store or a brand?
    It's a cell phone carrier shop in the USA

Thanks

never seen one around here, and i live on long island, ny. ill search.

is it possible to read my txts via iphonebrowser??

never seen one around here, and i live on long island, ny. ill search.

is it possible to read my txts via iphonebrowser??
    It should be but I don't use a pc with my iPhone anymore so i can't be certain but from what I have seen in the forums here at MMI yes

the Cricket store is 100% in Austin Texas idk where else but it's a US carrier it's all over TV
    Try cricket.com
    Or google Cricket cell phone store

Thanks

do you think the fact that it's not consistently staying connected via usb with iphonebrowser that it may be another issue?

do you think the fact that it's not consistently staying connected via usb with iphonebrowser that it may be another issue?
    Yes
    But first try another cord

I think the 32pin to the phone itself that the connect tab is conning off inside the phone

Thanks

ok i am going to apple today, ive concluded my iphone is done. hopefully they cant power it on and see its jailbroken. if they give me a new phone, or a refurb rather, i'm guessing it will come loaded with 4.1. if so, what can i do to jb??

ok i am going to apple today, ive concluded my iphone is done. hopefully they cant power it on and see its jailbroken. if they give me a new phone, or a refurb rather, i'm guessing it will come loaded with 4.1. if so, what can i do to jb??
    At this point you can't jb it for a couple more weeks like the rest of us, my apple store actually doesn't even care if it's jailbroken cause they can just restore it then swap it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shanejoe View Post
    At this point you can't jb it for a couple more weeks like the rest of us, my apple store actually doesn't even care if it's jailbroken cause they can just restore it then swap it
    ahhh i just spend all summer waiting for the same reason basically... a replacement. all good though

but, this phone came with 4.0.2, can that be jailbroken?

4.0.2 on 3G or 2g yes
    4.0.2 on anything else I don't think so at this point