Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A4 Processor and Overclocking

Default A4 Processor and Overclocking
    Ok I'd like to gather a little more information on the A4 and the potential to overclock that bad boy.

Ok before everyone says it, yes I know there have been other overclocking threads, yes I know it could and I say could have adverse effects on your battery and severly shorten or end your phones life. To all those folks I completely understand the above and am not asking YOU to DO ANYTHING to YOUR phone.

As far as the A4 goes there doesn't seem to be a wealth of knowledge out there however this is what I gather:
    • July 2009 Intrinsity and Samsung jointly developed and unveiled the first 1Ghz ARM A8 compliant application processor built on Samsungs 45nm process
    • The above was dubbed the "Hummingbird" core
    • Apple licensed Intrinsity's Fast14 technology, began development on the A4(Perhaps with some input from the PA Semi acquisition) and subsequently acquired Intrinsity
    • iPad is announced with 1Ghz A4
    • iPhone 4, and later iPT4, are announced with A4 at an unspecified clock
    • Samsung Galaxy S series phones are released with Hummingbird core, later overclocked(via kernel) to 1.2Ghz with a theoretical potential of 1.6Ghz

So the questions are:
    What are the clock speeds of the i4 & iPT4?
    Is it possible that the A4 is essentially a Hummingbird SoC rebranded?

If the latter is true it seems possible that the A4 could be overclocked a bit, in theory of course. I am curious how overclocking is accomplished on the Linux kernel, more specifically in android and if the iOS, Mach Kernel, uses the same(or similar) power management, etc conventions?

If so how can they be accessed and modified? We all know the power management file doesn't do crap as far as overclocking goes.

To answer the "anti-overclocking" people, the Palm Pre+ has been successfully overclocked to a number of different clocks with no ill effect on battery, temp or performance. Their also a few kernel mods out there that even allow for CPU throttling to mitigate any negative effects.

The assumption is that if these other unix-like mobile OS' can be overclocked so can iOS. If anybody has any serious, constructive and positive input it would be greatly appreciated. I would love to see a project like this get started and while I am basing it on assumptions about hummingbird perhaps any resulting works could be applied to non-A4 iDevices. Also as an after thought does anybody know the way to determine the clock of the iPhone 4's processor. Secondly is there anyway to do a comprehensive comparison of the A4 and Hummingbird processor cores?

Ok que up don't overclock comments....
    Last edited by mvhurlburt; 2010-09-24 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Argh typos...probably more

Don't over clock! Lol

No takers...

I'm interested in overclocking the A4 as well, but nobody seems to want to give it a shot.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

why do you want to over clock a iphone 4 when they run smooth on all current firmware if it had performance issues like the 3g then id say yea clock the mofo up but it doesnt... i can for see some 500 paperweights commin

Knew that was coming...

Well there are a number of reasons; namely processor intensive operation such as photo and video post processing, gaming, etc. I think above all the most compelling reason is because alot of us enjoy modifying things to do stuff that they weren't initially intended to do. Honestly with that mentality you could ask why bother to JB? Apple knows what's best for us right? Furthermore as far as your paperweight comment is concerned, overclocking has been achieved on a number of other platforms with no I'll effects, some remarkably close to the A4 hardware wise(ie galaxy s phones with the hummingbird core)

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by mvhurlburt View Post
    Knew that was coming...

Well there are a number of reasons; namely processor intensive operation such as photo and video post processing, gaming, etc. I think above all the most compelling reason is because alot of us enjoy modifying things to do stuff that they weren't initially intended to do. Honestly with that mentality you could ask why bother to JB? Apple knows what's best for us right? Furthermore as far as your paperweight comment is concerned, overclocking has been achieved on a number of other platforms with no I'll effects, some remarkably close to the A4 hardware wise(ie galaxy s phones with the hummingbird core)

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit...
    Whilst that may be true, how many Pre's did they kill in the process of writing the application?

The silicon is only supposed to get as hot as the cooling system will allow, if it gets any hotter then your bordering on frying your silicon. Im not try to discourage you from doing it, if you feel up to the task then go ahead but you should be aware of a few things:

• Usually there are hardware limitations as well as software, E.G. Efuses which stop you overclocking beyond a certain point
    • There are reasons that processors are under-clocked, usually due to heat dissipation, remember that apple has multi-million dollar test labs, you don't.
    • If you fry it, its your fault. Dont complain about it, you took the risk.
    • By overclocking you may be creating a significant amount of heat. The hardware isn't designed to take this, this means that it may fail faster in the long run.

So, if you decide to take the plunge, good luck!
    The gates in my computer are AND, OR and NOT; they are not Bill.

Iphone 3G, Ultrasn0w'ed using T-Mobile UK on a G1 Contract, 800 mins, Unlimited texting and unlimited internet! <--1337

Check in cydia and see if there are any oc apps available yet...proceed with CAUTION!!!!

What is the iPhone 4 underclocked to anyway? I think it's like 600mhz? The speed would almost double if we overclocked it..but I don't think we have enough people interested for this to happen