Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G screen won't turn on, iTunes won't recognize

Default 3G screen won't turn on, iTunes won't recognize
    I got a 3G from a friend after he upgraded to a iPhone 4. Anyways, the screen will not turn on and iTunes won't see the phone. Any combination of buttons held yields the same thing - nothing. I am wondering what to do first? I'm going to take it apart tonight and have a look inside, are there any areas or parts that I should look @ first? Thanks

I got it taken apart tonight. There is some white stuff around each of the flex cables 1,2 and 3. Is that dielectric grease? Is it supposed to be there?
    Last edited by Jedeoki; 2010-09-21 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So many views, no reply?!

Did you make sure the phone was fully charged or charged at all?
    And if it is not recognized in itunes this might be a fried board of some sort.

I am assuming something is ruined inside. the lower right water indicator on the metal cover on the logic board was triggered, but I am hoping I can clean the board enough that it will work.

Which board would be the most common to change first? I am thinking of changing the dock connector first, then moving on to a different part if the replacement dock connector does not help.

Unfortunately this is out of the realm of my expertise.
    good luck