Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G Housing Replacement

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Default iPhone 3G Housing Replacement
    Quick question guys, I'm gonna sell my 3G but the back housing I had sanded down to remove the scratches. I don't know how well anybody else would enjoy the matte look as I did, so I'm going to change the back housing, bezel (it's a bit scratched up) and my mute switch (broke off a while back).

I was browsing and found that ecaseshop has exactly what I'm looking for with free tools and all the other good stuff I want (not just the back housing but also the bezel and SIM tray). It's going for $13.95. The mute switch is also here for $3.99. Just wondering if anybody has used ecaseshop before and how were the products?

Any other recommendations of another site that's trustworthy both in delivering the product and having good quality products?

ecaseshop has the package I want cuz they're all plastic (I didn't want any of the metal bezel and backing cuz I know that will drop the phone's reception) but I'm paranoid the plastic will be really cheaply made. I want it to look and feel like an iPhone, not some cheap knockoff. TIA

Oh yeah, here's a link to what I'm looking at:

iPhone 3G Faceplate Cover Replacement Red 8GB iPhone

Edit: LOL I noticed my question wasn't quick at all...

Edit 2: Sorry I just thought of something. Any opinions on what color? I wanted to get something more unisex so my buyer audience isn't specific to one gender (ie getting pink only girls will want it). Would you boys and girls buy a red iPhone? What about blue (both light and dark)?
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-09-17 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The only risk that u may run into is that the whole motherboard is connected to the back of the phone case, the issue here is that you could crack the retina, it's possible to get by this but make sure to watch YouTube videos so you don't screw it up, no I have never done this but I do read or of forums on this because I wanted an orange back when I came across that I said forget it, what I would do is post it on eBay as is, and say for an extra $30 or something I'll change the backing to a new backing and sat the color, please thank me if I helped

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

:P that didn't really answer my question. I've watched plenty if vids and wanna learn how to do it anyway.

I can get a lot around my area for a modded iPhone anyway. I just wanted to know if the site I'm looking at is reasonable to buy from and if both guys and girls would buy either a red or blue. Thx for the response tho.

i ordered one of these in green and took it to a shop to replace for me. They said they could not do it. The case is a completly different shape from the original. The one you are looking at is more square and they told me it could not fit. The plastic bezel and other parts are very cheap and very flimsy. Im stuck with a case i cant use now but atleast i didnt spend too much

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You got it from this exact site I'm talking about?

the best way to change a 3g housing is to get a non working 3g from someone and use the original housing from the non working iphone those back housings you get from ebay are crap and do not have the chrome bezel attatched to it and chances are the chrome bezel will fall out if you stick it yourself.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well if I'm gonna spend money I'd spend it on a diff color, besides, I found one with very good reviews from other customers. Hopefully it'll work out well. Btw the bezel is supposed to come off, in many disassembly guides, the bezel can be replaced/come off as it's own part. Thanks for the warning/tips tho.

Thanks

Ive done a few housing swaps and in my opinion trying to get the bezel etc. fit well is a huge pain the arse. So the last swap i did i found a housing on ebay that already had everything already assembled and it was 10X easier.

Here is the one i bought
    Last edited by LBPlayr; 2010-09-21 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

For everyone's info;

1. Apple does not sell its original iphone back cover housing ANYWHERE on the surface of this planet. Even if you see one on eBay that claims to be original iphone parts, it is not orginal parts, HOWEVER you can find copied ones that looks 99.9% identical to your original back housing that have perfect fitments. So how to you identify which one is good which one is bad? The ad all claims they got good quality and fitments. (well who else won't claim it) So here is the catch. YOU PAY WHAT YOU GET. Yes, thats right, the cheaper ones are often bad copies and poor fittings with poor quality. So if you don't want to waste your money to be an experimental mice, buy the expensive ones you see on auction. It really pays off your hassle.

2. I would strongly recommend to folks, DONT CHANGE YOUR IPHONE BACK HOUSING UNLESS YOU HAVE TO. Changing the iphone back housing is a nightmare. It brings you straight to HELL to see Satan. If you are not a fishing guy, or get into road rage easily or a person who simply does not have patience or poor patience or easily ticked off, DO NOT ATTEMPT to try this yourself. You will end up trashing the phone instead of making it better.

3. In order for you to change the iphone housing, you need to unfortunalty removed every piece of hardwares on the phone. I'm sorry this sounds easy, ok here's the detail, a) you are dealing with micro screws, b) you are dealing with multi-components that are NOT intacted into one piece alike other mobile phones. Iphone 3G and 3GS is very complicated and the micro parts DO breaks very easily if the proper force is not applied and c) your fingers are like giant godzilla compared to the parts, you need proper tools to do this.

So I had my experience, the online forums, guides and instructions are BS which tricked me into changing my own 3GS housing. It made it sound so easy and I wish it were like that.

And how long did I spend to change the housing and chrome frame? 8 damn hours sitting on my little chair dealing with micro parts with my godzilla fingers! I had neck pain the other day. BE WARNED, you were warned, the choice is yours!

My overall comments: NOT WORTHY TO CHANGE UNLESS YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY HAVE TO.
    Last edited by Gabriel223; 2010-09-23 at 05:52 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

:/ thanks but I'm fully aware of the risks. I'm also aware that copies sometimes don't fit well but I made sure to get one from one where people have done it with that specific case and have had good results

Quote Originally Posted by stefunky89 View Post
    i ordered one of these in green and took it to a shop to replace for me. They said they could not do it. The case is a completly different shape from the original. The one you are looking at is more square and they told me it could not fit. The plastic bezel and other parts are very cheap and very flimsy. Im stuck with a case i cant use now but atleast i didnt spend too much
    The one from ecaseshop has a metal bezel. Are you sure this is where you got it from?

Quote Originally Posted by LBPlayr View Post
    Ive done a few housing swaps and in my opinion trying to get the bezel etc. fit well is a huge pain the arse. So the last swap i did i found a housing on ebay that already had everything already assembled and it was 10X easier.

Here is the one i bought
    Did that housing fit perfectly? Were there any problems?
    Last edited by billinaz; 2010-09-23 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

The Headphone ring, volume buttons, sim tray ejecting thing, and bezel were already assembled and they were done properly the only thing i did have to do was open the camera hole just slightly so the ring would fit. but it was very easy and only took about 15mins because all the pain in the arse stuff was already done for me(I found some people selling the same housings on ebay with the vibrate switch, headphone jack, camera, etc. already installed for a little extra).

I appologize for the quality of the pictures, the camera on my iPhone isn't the best

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Looks very cool!

I didn't want to get an already assembled one cuz I wanted to try to piece everything together by myself anyway. I'm gonna learn how to repair iPhone 2G-3GS and this is my starting point. To take it apart and look at the insides. I'll post my own results when I get my housing (could be 10-12 more days from now) and get it on the phone. Hell I'll even post if I fail and break something, lol.

Anyone know that the parts4ipod.com website good? Are the parts good? Anyone tried it yet?

Hello,

I got a serious problem, the first attempt to housing change was sucessful, everything works normal, but than I realize I left two screws out, so I went back in for the second time. But this time the phone shows "NO SERVICE" on the top corner, other functions appears to be normal, I just can't log online and make calls, no matter what I do, I reset the network it still shows NO SERVICE. What did I fu*ked up this time? Please advise me thanks!!!
    Last edited by Gabriel223; 2010-09-24 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ok thanks, but what I am looking at is the two copper pins are touching the frame. The 3GS has two copper pins sticking out to touch the frame, one is from the antenna/wifi unit, and one is from the IC board unit. I'll try sanding the surface of copper pins a micro bit to make it more conductive, but what if this fails? Any chance that I broke the antenna unit? The appearance of the antenna unit looks fine, nothing broken and it is touching the frame indeed.... please advise thx!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well I feel like if the phone worked fine before you opened it up, it should work fine if you put it back together the right way. Personally I wouldn't mess with the hardware such as sanding or soldering cuz I think if it didn't need that when you first got the phone, it doesn't need it now. I'm just a scaredy cat I guess. But I know it's definitely an antenna connection problem. If it were me, I'd take the phone apart and put it back together piece by piece as securely and carefully as I can, then try again. If that fails, maybe it's time to buy a new antenna piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Oh yeah, here's a link to what I'm looking at:

iPhone 3G Faceplate Cover Replacement Red 8GB iPhone
    I'm pretty sure most of that kit will not be of use. the bezel looks attached to the mid frame not the case, and the glass is useless since the glass has to be fused with the digitizer (which is conveniently not included).

I ordered this for mine and am still waiting. They have other colors as well.

iPhone 3G 8GB Back Cover Housing with Bezel Black

Dixcase appears to be the same as ecaseshop but everything is cheaper by a few dollars.

If I'm able to swap out the case on the 3G I'm selling without much issue I'll probably swap out the case on the 3G I use daily with an orange one. For some reason I like the orange look, and it makes it look pretty unique.

iPhone 3G 8GB Back Cover Housing with Bezel Orange
    Last edited by amsgator; 2010-09-30 at 02:50 AM.