Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G, New battery works but not charging

Default 3G, New battery works but not charging
    I just went through 13 pages of posts (THIRTEEN!) on battery issues and I can't find any that addressed my problem.

3G, iOS 3.1.3, JB

My 2yo took it for a very fast dip in a puddle. I took it apart and dried it in rice. After 4 days I put it all back together and it worked just like usual. Except for the fast battery drain. I was able to charge it, sync with iTunes, everything. But it just couldn't last past an hour.

I decided to replace the battery. The old battery looked corroded along the top, under the yellow film. Replaced with new battery, turned it on -- and it worked. Until I noticed that it wouldn't take a charge. The longer I left it plugged in (wall charger, car charger, MacBook, windows PC) the warmer it got, but never charged up.

Now it's completely drained. I only get the red battery with lightening bolt if it's plugged in somewhere. Computer does not recognize it. I was planning on restoring in DFU (it is recognized in DFU) but I need to download the 3.1.3 firmware first bc I don't want 4.1.

So my next step is... to use alcohol and clean all the connectors? Buy some electronic cleaning solution and clean the motherboard? Get a new USB port?

What do you think?

Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikah_no For This Useful Post:

Trebosh (2010-09-11)

I got really frustrated with the new battery and not understanding why it wasn't working so I swapped it out with the old battery. Wouldn't you know it -- my 3G worked with the old battery! I played a couple of games, cleaned off my emails and then cleaned springboard so the kids could access their games.

The old battery still drained quickly and it's taking longer to charge.

So do you think it's the usb dock that needs help, as well as the getting a different battery?

One more update:

The old battery worked great last night and for a couple of hours today. Last night it even charged but could not charge past 51%. Now it's draining and won't charge anymore. I'm down to 10% and I turned it off. I have a new battery being shipped to me tomorrow but I'm wondering now if I should add a new charging dock too.

Any thoughts?

Anyone?

Anyone??
    Last edited by Mikah_no; 2010-09-13 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost