Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: replacing the housing on 3g. is it a pain in the ***?

Default replacing the housing on 3g. is it a pain in the ***?
    i wanna know is it really a pain in the *** to replace the housing on the iphone 3g i want to do it to mine. and the chrome bezel also to make it look somewhat new.and can u ruin somthing from doing this. any advice would be appreciated

so i got 73 views and not one can give an answer?
    Last edited by mr_motta1989; 2010-09-11 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If you're good with little electronics and good at following instructions i don't think it would be too difficult.

There's always a chance of breaking something but if you're careful and you have the right tools (don't want to strip anything) you should be fine.

If you follow a disassemble guide like this one : YouTube - iPhone 3G Back Case / Housing Replacement Directions By DirectFix.com it should be no trouble at all.

I replaced a case for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I followed one of the teardowns on youtube and it wasnt too bad.

Everything even worked when I put it back together.

Now the extra screw I wound up with is another issue!

ok i had a friend do his 3gs and when he put it back together his battery life got worse than it was. and is it tru that if you disconect the battery from it youll brick it is that true?

There is always a chance of breaking something when your opening up your toys if your not careful. To do the housing you have to take everything of the old one piece by piece... Best bet for tools are the ones that come with the digitizers on eBay... And take your time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imageuploadedbymodmyi.jpg  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The 3G is easy compared to the IP4. We do about 1-2 housings a week at our repair store. The IP4 is such a pain and do not look forward to doing those. Just make sure you follow directions to the T and remember where the screws go. I had a signal problem with my first housing replacement and the cable wasn't seating correctly with the connecter.

yah itspretty hard if you never done it before. Lots of things that you may brake while taking it apart. Its easier to give it to a shop to get it replaced for like $40 or so.

+1 to russian711's comment.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_ View Post
    If you're good with little electronics and good at following instructions i don't think it would be too difficult.

There's always a chance of breaking something but if you're careful and you have the right tools (don't want to strip anything) you should be fine.

If you follow a disassemble guide like this one : YouTube - iPhone 3G Back Case / Housing Replacement Directions By DirectFix.com it should be no trouble at all.
    Hey I'm getting a nice backplate and chrome bezel off eBay to freshen my 3G up, what can I use to prize everything apart instead of tha little green thing he uses in the vid? I was thinking small knife? Or one of the little bits on a Swiss army knife?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxyBoii2K10 View Post
    Hey I'm getting a nice backplate and chrome bezel off eBay to freshen my 3G up, what can I use to prize everything apart instead of tha little green thing he uses in the vid? I was thinking small knife? Or one of the little bits on a Swiss army knife?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Guitar pick works nice.

To open 3g or 3gs use a suction cup on glass at bottom near home button. Must carefully stabilize screen so it is opens completely under your control. You do not want to tear flex cable 3, or damage the #3 connector.

Suction cup technique is better than using pry tools.

Good luck.