I have a brand new 32gb Ipod Touch 3rd Generation as well as a used Iphone 3GS 32gb.
Here is the scenario:

Ipod - (dropped dumbell on ipod while working out and smashed screen) All appears to work fine other than the screen/digitizer and metal casing... yea those didn't fare too well...

Iphone - (dropped in swimming pool in vegas upon receiving a topless pic of a woman i had just met on the flight there) well, the phone is fried, but i'm assuming the screen/digitizer are still in working order as the screen turns white when i power the unit on. Not so sure about the headphone jack as i can't really test that but i would assume it's fried as well being part of the logic board...

I am wondering if anyone has successfully combined the 2 and made a working unit... is it even possible? i'm aware that parts are switched around to different places and what not, yes yes i know (just buy replacement parts), but i can care less about replacement parts - i'm more in this for the hobby and just to see if i can do it or not... (i'll end up getting replacement parts if it cannot be done)... but if possible, any help would be greatly appreciated!!! i know this sounds crazy, but with a new iphone4, ipod nano, ipod shuffle, ipod touch, and ipad - i dont think i'll really be benefitting much from getting BOTH of these broken units into working condition...